Preventative Medicine Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hauihad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i did a search on this, but I could not find too much useful information. Can anyone tell me more about preventative medicine residencies. I understand there is an intern year and a built in MPH component. Anyone have any experience with this type of residency. What sort of careers do people usually hold after? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can find some good info if you look in the right places. One of the national Preventive Medicine organizations (American College of Preventive Medicine?) has a power point presentation on their website that is somewhat informational about career opportunities if you pursue this residency. Some pursue this training as their one and only residency, others do it following a residency in another field, most often Medicine, Peds, and FP. Plenty of varied career opps, ranging from public health and government work, to health administration, to epidemiology, preventive medicine advocacy and research, occupational medicine, etc. Most residency programs, I believe, are two years following an intern year, one of those being an MPH year and the other focused on more hands-on, practical experience. There exists General Preventive Medicine residencies, but also Occupational Medicine, Public Health, etc. generally are classified under the umbrella term "preventive medicine." Going to the AMA's FRIEDA website, you can look up all of the different prev med residencies and read about them directly. There is also a website that a student going into preventive medicine put together that I saw once--it was very helpful and even more practical. I searched for it a couple of weeks ago, though, and couldn't find it. You may also want to look up the "Public Health" thread on this website and you'll find some discussion about this topic.

hauihad said:
i did a search on this, but I could not find too much useful information. Can anyone tell me more about preventative medicine residencies. I understand there is an intern year and a built in MPH component. Anyone have any experience with this type of residency. What sort of careers do people usually hold after? Thanks!

another good career move would be to spell your chosen specialty correctly...Preventive not Preventative

GMO2003 said:
another good career move would be to spell your chosen specialty correctly...Preventive not Preventative

hey *rick,

thanks for the update.

prominence said:
hey *rick,

thanks for the update.

phuck you..I was only trying to be helpful..go pack some sand you POS :smuggrin: sorry did I hurt your feelings..maybe you should go see a shrink :laugh:

GMO2003 said:
phuck you..I was only trying to be helpful..go pack some sand you POS :smuggrin: sorry did I hurt your feelings..maybe you should go see a shrink :laugh:

bump