price of books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how much does the first year of books cost? thanx

Members don't see this ad.

i'm just looking for a ballpark figure. Nova Southeastern

Members don't see this ad :)
..probably similar to the cost of books at your undergrad school if you took only science courses. That's my estimate based on other students at my school.

$1k per year is about right for most graduate/professional programs.

At NSU, we don't buy books! The professors LOVE LOVE LOVE to test and teach from their handouts, since textbooks are outdated very quickly. Just make sure you buy a lot of three-ring binders to put your handouts in. The tests come directly from the handouts and notes you take in class... very rarely will you ever be required to use a textbook. And if you are, there is at least one copy of each required text in the Drug Information Center that you can look through. I bought 2 books all of last year (ran me about $100 bucks for both), and that was only because we were told the book material would be tested. Hope this helps! :D

If your school is nice and sends out booklists in time for you to check ebay, amazon, half and all the used sellers you can save a lot of money. Bigwords is a good online resource to search by ISBN for the cheapest price. I havent paid over $300 for any of the three semesters I have bought books for, Im sure if I paid retail I would be coughing up three times that.

I just bought books for fall and they cost me $200, but ONE of the books was $100 because I couldnt find it used. :( So that tells you how cheap you can get the rest.

We didn't have to buy any books for most of our classes, there were some optional ones, but the only required ones were Pathology, Pharmacotherapy w/Casebook, and OTC handbook. Even pharmacology wasn't strictly required, though I bought it, and Med Chem, hoping they would guilt me into studying (they didn't).