Primary Care & Hospitalist work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

6ft3dr2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a curious question:

How common is it for primary care physicians to work as hospitalists part time? I keep hearing that primary care does NOT pay as well (relative). I was wondering if I could make some "side money" working as a hospitalist.

I appreciate any examples of physicians who practice this.
Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Just a curious question:

How common is it for primary care physicians to work as hospitalists part time? I keep hearing that primary care does NOT pay as well (relative). I was wondering if I could make some "side money" working as a hospitalist.

I appreciate any examples of physicians who practice this.
Thanks,

It is not too uncommon. It really depends on they type of practice you are in and if there is part time hospitalist work available where you work.

Back in the days there wasn't such a big division between in hospital and clinic work, most internists worked in both settings. It is becoming more rare but some places still offer that traditional approach.

You could almost definitely pick up extra shifts in a hospital, urgent care or ER in addition to your primary care practice. Part of the issue is that if you are already working hard @your primary practice, will you have the time and inclination to do so? Many young docs do when getting started...especially if their outpatient clinics are full yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can offer insight on running a PCP office on the 7 off days as a hospitalist. the contract I am looking at allows for an office where I can practice within primary care, IM, and FM.

anyone experimented with this? seeing patients on your 7 off days? or perhaps getting another provider involved to follow patients?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can offer insight on running a PCP office on the 7 off days as a hospitalist. the contract I am looking at allows for an office where I can practice within primary care, IM, and FM.

anyone experimented with this? seeing patients on your 7 off days? or perhaps getting another provider involved to follow patients?

Thats a recipe for disaster/burnout.

7 12 hour days, then see primary care patients who will then have labs coming back when you are back on your hospitalist shift leading to 7 14 hour days.

Additionally paying rent on an office that is only being used half the year seems like a waste.

Probably a better option to do primary care and then pick up hospitalist shifts prn.

Do NOT sign up for this unless you have a good 4-6 months of hospitalist work under your belt

Hello,

I think that would be a very hard way to live. I'm a PMD and whenever I take a week off (e.g. for vacation), the first few days back are a grind. It takes 2-3 days to get caught up on all the paperwork, lab reports, etc. that accumulated while I was out, as well as just to get back into the groove of things. Once I'm settled back in, I find it to be a pretty easy job. But I'd hate to have to go through that process every other week.

What's your motivation for considering this? If it's just for the money there are better ways.

Hello,

This is a terrible idea. Why would you want to pick up longitudinal care patients on your days "off"?

Hospitalists burn out enough as it is. If you need extra cash, just pick up extra shifts of the job you are already doing.