Primary Care Pathway - Should I take USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted771643

I'm in a primary care pathway and will be going into family medicine. Should I take the USMLE? I'm not sure there's much of a benefit.

Members don't see this ad.

Only take it if you want to do FM residency in the West Coast.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you want to do residency in the west coast you will be fine if you don’t care where. My friends that matched FM in places like Shasta, UCSF Fresno, and Modesto all for FM did not take USMLE last year and did fine.

can’t see the future so I recommend everyone take the usmle.

Last edited:
Even if you want to do residency in the west coast you will be fine if you don’t care wear. My friends that match FM in places like Shasta, UCSF Fresno, and Modesto all for FM did not take USMLE last year and did fine.

can’t see the future so I recommend everyone take the usmle.

To be fair, those are not what you would call the most competitive CA FM programs. That said, I overall agree.

OP if you are planning to stay close to your school, then it's probably not an issue. There will be some programs (disproportionately on the west coast) that will want USMLE, but most do not.

Reactions: 1 user
To be fair, those are not what you would call the most competitive CA FM programs. That said, I overall agree.

OP if you are planning to stay close to your school, then it's probably not an issue. There will be some programs (disproportionately on the west coast) that will want USMLE, but most do not.

lol I need to watch about autocorrect on my phone lol. People will think I’m illiterate hahaha.

butttt yes idk the competitiveness of those programs with it not being my field. I do know that the San Joaquin valley programs are less competitive in general though. What are some of the more competitive FM Cali programs?

The ones with the better reps include Ventura, Contra Costa, Santa Rosa, and to some degree Harbor-UCLA and UCSD. That said, there's different definitions of "competitive" among FM programs, and even some of those programs would have issues depending on your priorities. They just generally tend to take "more competitive" people.