Should you take USMLE as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyKoch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1650417974839.png

Yes.

Source:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I’m glad they don’t tbh. My comlex suggests I would fail usmle when in reality I scored slightly below average.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is an interesting opinion - would you care to share more?
Not sure what makes it interesting, it’s a pretty common sentiment. The test is extremely poorly written, the scoring scale is wildly variable year to year, and it tests even the quack OMM concepts such as cranial (cranial was a very large portion of the OMM on my Level 3).

If you’re a DO and want to be treated the same as everyone else then take the same test everyone else takes.

Reactions: 5 users
this post should be pinned to the top

Reactions: 3 users
It’s wild that in 2022 PD’s can’t use a simple conversion tool.
The correlation between step 1 and comlex 1 scores is poor. Comlex is a more poorly written exam. If you were a PD with the choice between dozens or hundreds of applicants that definitely had a strong foundation of knowledge/work ethic and one or several that maybe had a strong foundation of knowledge/work ethic, who would you pick?

Reactions: 1 users
It’s wild that in 2022 PD’s can’t use a simple conversion tool.
I haven’t seriously reviewed the data but it’s unlikely there’s a true ‘conversion’ tool. Probably the closest you’ll find is a correlation between the Level 1 and Step 1 scores of the highly self selected cohort of DO students who sat both the COMLEX and USMLE.

Reactions: 1 user