Primary eruption sequence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opencontact

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the exact sequence of primary tooth appearing? The ADA gives a range but not he exact order (http://www.ada.org/public/topics/tooth_eruption.asp)

Is the following correct?
Mand central -> max central -> Max laterl -> Mand lateral -> Max 1st molar -> Mand 1st molar -> Max canine -> mand canine -> mand 2nd molar -> max 2nd molar

Members don't see this ad.

Mand cent (8 mo according to Mosbys... all times according to Mosbys)
Max central (10 mo)
Max lat (11 mo)
Mand lat (13 mo)
Max and Mand 1st (16 mo)
Max canine (19 mo)
Mand canine (20 mo)
Mand 2nd molar (27 mo)
Max 2nd molar (29 mo)

That's what the book says. The eruption ages are AVERAGES.

Max central (10 mo)
Max lat (11 mo)
Mand lat (13 mo)
Max and Mand 1st (16 mo)
Max canine (19 mo)
Mand canine (20 mo)
Mand 2nd molar (27 mo)
Max 2nd molar (29 mo)

hmmm that is completely different than we learned in pedo and different from the decks. we learned:

mand central 6mo
max central 7mo
mand lat 7mo (the mand laterals can come in before the max centrals)
max laterals 9mo
mand 1st molar 12mo
max 1st molar 14mo
mand canine 16mo
max canine 18mo
mand 2nd molar 20mo
max 2nd molar 24mo

using these dates I have not missed a single practice question relating to primary eruption sequence.

Members don't see this ad :)
The times I posted line up with the average of the ADA times. Maybe that's where my book got them from.

I too have learned 6 months for the mand centrals in my classes so I wouldn't be surprised if Lopyswine's chart is more accurate.

Max central (10 mo)
Max lat (11 mo)
Mand lat (13 mo)
Max and Mand 1st (16 mo)
Max canine (19 mo)
Mand canine (20 mo)
Mand 2nd molar (27 mo)
Max 2nd molar (29 mo)

This is the same thing that I have learned from DA textbook.

hmmm that is completely different than we learned in pedo and different from the decks. we learned:

mand central 6mo
max central 7mo
mand lat 7mo (the mand laterals can come in before the max centrals)
max laterals 9mo
mand 1st molar 12mo
max 1st molar 14mo
mand canine 16mo
max canine 18mo
mand 2nd molar 20mo
max 2nd molar 24mo

using these dates I have not missed a single practice question relating to primary eruption sequence.

this is what first aid says too in the chart on ph 645, but the average times on fig 25-1 are a little more condensed. There's alos other inof like root completions and enmael completion in the chart but it gives ranges...is there a good average number to go by for each of those or should the whole range be memorized?

also, the decks and textbooks and ada gives ranges too but it's easier to memorize just one number for each of the teeth for like when primary teeth erupt. is this ok or is it better to do ranges? if so whats the best source since they seems to be a little different?

for root completion if ya just add +2 to the eruption times it seems to work, but is there general good such trend for enamel completion and calcifications? again decks and first aid give different ranges :eek: