1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Princeton prep or kaplan prep?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by WanderingGuitarist, Aug 18, 2015.

1. WanderingGuitarist

2+ Year Member

Sup guys,

I talked to my advisor and she recommended me to take a prep course. She told me that former students have taken the princeton course and had some questions appear on the MCAT. Idk who accurate this is but for your knowledge, which prep course should I take?

I plan on taking the MCAT in January. I will be taking the prep course during the fall semester along with studying for the MCAT on my own. will this be adequate?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ac62994

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Don't do it just because you were told to. Prep Courses have its own pros and cons and it really just depends on your learning style. If you're disciplined and driven, save the money and study on your own. If you need a physical force to make you study, then a prep course is for you.

There are plenty of threads about prep courses, so I would definitely research more before dropping some mad dough.

jimmypod, GrapesofRath and mcatjelly like this.
  4. nomdeplume1234

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    one thing that strikes me is that one seems to have many more in-person hours than the other one.

5. dodo22

Pre-Medical
    Hi, I'm taking Princeton right now, but I'm not very impressed with them, I sill feel vulnerable.

6. Mad Jack

Mad Jack Critically Caring
    Physician Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

I took a Kaplan course for my RRT prep back in the day and was so disappointed I swore review courses off forever. Studied for the MCAT using review books only, got a 35. The highest scorers I've known didn't get there with courses, they got there with books by TBR, EK, etc.

7. ThePrincetonReview

ThePrincetonReview Test Prep Exhibitor
    Sponsor Exhibitor 7+ Year Member

If you'd like to compare the features of our Ultimate course with Kaplan's, we have a handy chart that will let you do just that.

You can check it out here.

If you have questions about Princeton Review prep courses, feel free to PM me!

- R

8. Demosthenes1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Self-study may be the best, cheaper route to go.
    Kaplan, Princeton, and Barron's were incredibly helpful, alongside review of all my textbooks and notes from class.