Princeton Review Online Diag #8

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yogreen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so Princeton Review has recently added additional diags (#6-9) to the online student center, I've taken most of them and have done atleast 9+ on each section, however I just recently took Diag #8 and scored a 23!....hopefully, I am just having a bad day but my test is in 2 weeks, so I'm a bit scared about being "burnt out"....anyone else take this diag and do poorly?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an 8 on the PS and I usually get between 10-12. I wouldn't use those tests as score indicators.

yeah true...my score PLUMETTED from P10 B10 V9 to 7 8 5....my exam is in 5 days what a bummer...I would take this exam with a grain of sand as well....hopefully scores get better.

Has anyone else taken this? I just finished the PS and it was brutal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else taken this? I just finished the PS and it was brutal.

I thought TPR # 8 was the toughest of all TPRs. I took it towards the culmination of my 7 months of studying when my practice scores were higher than ever and I still had trouble with it. The physics was very Kaplan like without the lenient curve. TPR 8 is the Kaplan 10 and 11 of TPR.

Last edited:
I thought TPR # 8 was the toughest of all TPRs. I took it towards the culmination of my 7 months of studying when my practice scores were higher than ever and I still had trouble with it. The physics was very Kaplan like without the lenient curve. TPR 8 is the Kaplan 10 and 11 of TPR.
Yes...this was one of the hard ones for me. My PS score went down 4 points on this test. Verbal (surprisingly) went well and Bio was about 2 points lower. This test freaked me out too...but don't worry about it ;)

Yes...this was one of the hard ones for me. My PS score went down 4 points on this test. Verbal (surprisingly) went well and Bio was about 2 points lower. This test freaked me out too...but don't worry about it ;)
Haha, I remember when you PM'd me on this one. But, my recollection was that your VR wasn't good on it either :p I think you said your overall was like 10pts lower on it than your average AAMCs, :laugh:.

See, I was smart!!!! I started taking the test and it was so hard I decided to quit and skip it b/c I didn't wan't to destroy my confidence. It was the most difficult test I saw during all of my prep, period.

Haha, I remember when you PM'd me on this one. But, my recollection was that your VR wasn't good on it either :p I think you said your overall was like 10pts lower on it than your average AAMCs, :laugh:.

See, I was smart!!!! I started taking the test and it was so hard I decided to quit and skip it b/c I didn't wan't to destroy my confidence. It was the most difficult test I saw during all of my prep, period.

Haha this makes me feel so much better. I also quit after the PS b/c I was so demoralized...hardest one I've taken by far...I had to guess on a ton at the end bc each question ended up taking so long

haha really? lemme check again (i deleted my pms). I thought my verbal was a 10 on this one? or is this the one where it dropped?

I thought it was strange that this one would be so difficult b/c I remember their first few tests are really hard for that 10 point guarantee. This is the second to last one so technically should be their idea of pretty close to the real thing...

Wow, thanks for the heads-up regarding test #8...it would be so demoralizing to take that test just before mcat:eek:
Btw, congrats Jgberken and Tncekm on your awesome scores! The verbal is still owning me...I think the tpr verbal instructor has given up on me, haha.

Wow, thanks for the heads-up regarding test #8...it would be so demoralizing to take that test just before mcat:eek:
Btw, congrats Jgberken and Tncekm on your awesome scores! The verbal is still owning me...I think the tpr verbal instructor has given up on me, haha.
thanks! tpr verbal is hard!
i can write down my tpr scores if you guys like...just to get an idea of how tpr scores compare to the real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just took tpr 8 - i agree with all of you! i was actually happy to see i got a 9 on PS...felt more like a 6. i don't feel so bad now that i see others had trouble with this diag.

did everyone have better luck with #9?

or should i give up on tpr and just do the aamc until the real thing in 4 weeks?

Why wouldn't you take TPR 9? The real test is going to feel much tougher than the AAMC. You should be looking for the hardest tests out there. This will equip you with the mental preparation that will prove to be indispensable on test day.

How do you gain access to TPR Diagnostics? Is the only way to take their course, or can you buy the tests separately?

wow thanks for bringin that up. i was planning on taking that tomorrow. ive went down from a 32 on #6 to a 26 on 7 so im glad that i dont need to worry about going way down especially with wondering if i should reschedule with my test on the 22nd coming up

Hi guys,

Here's my take on these TPR diagnostics seeing as I just finished #9, my last, today.

The physical sections were fairly reasonable I thought, forcing you to recall knowledge as well as apply those analytical and logic skills. One caveat: the physical section on #8 was definitely the hardest out of the bunch. Prior to the start of that diagnostic, I had read this thread and thus already had a sense of how difficult it was. In hindsight, that was a mistake because before even entering the test, I was under the impression that if I didn't score as well, it wouldn't matter. That's not the mentality you want to have. As I was actually doing the physical section, the difficulty was affirmed and it was so overwhelming, I think I just mentally "quit"; didn't even finish reading some passages as I couldn't follow and didn't approach the questions as I normally did. As mterp45 stated, #8 might actually be a blessing in disguise equipping you with the mental toughness so you don't make the same mistake again.

From my own experience, of what I've heard from my peers as well as the members of this board, the verbal sections are overly difficult. I have yet to do an AAMC but it seems like every verbal section will have a "killer" passage which you're supposed to skip in accord with Princeton's philosophy of purely guessing on one passage. I certainly wouldn't get too discouraged if you falter once in a while.

The biological sections were more on the easy side and I felt much of it was straight regurgitation of facts. I don't recall any genetics passages that gave me immense trouble, which seemed to have been the trend on recent administrations. There also seemed to be an excess of organic chemistry, which may be a good or bad.

Here are my scores below for all 9 tests. Up and including #4, I hadn't started reviewing general chemistry yet and up and including #6, I hadn't started organic chemistry.

#1: P5, V5, B9
#2: P7, V6, B8
#3: P8, V10, B11
#4: P8, V9, B12
#5: P14, V9, B13
#6: P10, V9, B11
#7: P13, V9, B13
#8: P7, V5, B10 - You can see just how bad I did.
#9: P15, V7, B12 - But I learned and bounced back (at least on physical).

If you have any questions for me, feel free to shoot me a PM. I hope this post helps some of you in your future tests. Good luck!

TPR Diag 8 definitely smoked my butt tonight.

PS: 7 (Usually 11+ here)
BS: 9 (Consistently 11+ here)
VR: 6 (Range from 8-9 =[)

Yay for a total of 22....haha.

haha wow i got killed by this one.
ps 8 (i average around 9 or 10)
vr 4 (haha. i got so mentally defeated by the ps i think i just gave up and didnt really care anymore)
bs 10 (averaging 11 on this)

yea i think by knowing that this was hard already kind of made it easier to give up and guess more but also helped that i dont really have to worry about my score much since this isnt really an accurate prediction of my score. i also felt the verbal was definitely difficult but not hard enough to get a 4 on lol. oh well. at least im done with the tpr tests and now on to the aamcs now for the next 2 weeks.

I just got killed by the PS on this one. I usually get 11s on TPR and 12-13 on AAMC. Probably shouldn't have taken this one 6 days before my actual test but oh well. i'm just counting on not seeing anything this difficult on Friday.

Its 2 weeks before my test and Princeton completely ruined my confidence ( I got 18 on TPR #8), I am thinking to postpone my test another 10 days, any thoughts on this? I am averaging 27 on TPR and 32 on AAMC, I really don't know what to do?:confused:

Its 2 weeks before my test and Princeton completely ruined my confidence ( I got 18 on TPR #8), I am thinking to postpone my test another 10 days, any thoughts on this? I am averaging 27 on TPR and 32 on AAMC, I really don't know what to do?:confused:

im averaging pretty much the same as you and i decided that this test was bulls*** and just used it as extra practice. i took it 2 weeks before my test date but i still decided to take the mcat on the 22nd as planned. if u can prove that u can get over 30s then theres no way that u can get an 18 on the real thing.

Ugh, just took this one. Got a 26 (BIO 10, V 8, PS 8). Lowest verbal score I have ever received :(. Hopefully the real thing is nothing like this one.

im a week out from my test, would you guys even recommend taking this one considering it will probably be demoralizing test or should i just take 9?

im a week out from my test, would you guys even recommend taking this one considering it will probably be demoralizing test or should i just take 9?

I wouldn't take if I were you. But if you're taking it strictly to gain more practice, and not as an indicator of your scores, I'd give it a shot. Hardest part is not psych yourself out if/when you see something much lower than you're hoping for or expecting.

I would take both. The VR and PS are hard, though. I scored 8P, 7V, and 11B on this test-26, which is what I got on my first TPR test. So, ignore your score and just take it for the sake of practice.

Hi all, TPR specifically says diagnostic 8 is tougher than the rest so don't be discouraged by lower scores:

"TPR Online Diagnostic 8: This exam is harder than the other online exams."