Prior auth job stability with incoming changes to healthcare systems

Started by Foorius
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Foorius

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I may have an opportunity to move into the prior auth field from independent soon. I love my current job but I feel like prior auth will give me more room to grow; but with the current hot topic in the political climate right now focused on changing our healthcare system, is this a good move? If medicare for all gets passed what happens to all the pharmacists that get displaced from prior auth? Would really appreciate feedback on this big decision from you guys especially those in the prior auth field right now.
 
If Medicare for all gets passed, why would you think prior authorization goes away? There’s plenty of prior auths in Medicare.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We can't handle more government spending that would never get paid for.

This will never pass.
 
Doesn't matter even if it does, Medicare does use the PA system for certain matters, so there's always paperwork. It's government, so there always will be a place for bureaucracy.

What does matter is whether or not that independent can keep contracts as the lowest bidder. Figure that out to the degree you want to make the jump.
 
I think we are all just equating that if Medicare were to pass, it would be government administered like Part A/B is, but Part D is zero percent government administered. So if it passes but keeps a similar structure ,I would think there would be more PA pharmacists Bc Medicare D plans tend to have smaller formularies than commercial plans. Medicare beneficiaries can also request more types of coverage determinations/PAs than commercial plans (ie. tier exceptions).

So..I don’t worry about this at all—anymore than I worry about what an entire government restructure will do to the healthcare system in general.
 
I'd love an NHS style system. It would suit me perfect. I already got my private retirement out to a good start. I could get a job in a gov't pharmacy, do my 20 years, get my pension, and retire like a damn king. And we could start acting like any other government worker. You think the gov't will have us doing PCQ calls or signing people up for readyfill? Pfft. And if patients don't like something, what are they going to do? Go somewhere else? lmao. I'll take a $40k paycut for some of that action right now. Hook it to my veins.