Prior Military Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClickityClack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've posted on here before, a long time ago. I'm a sophomore, Lab Animal Science major. My overall GPA is 3.6, and my sci GPA is 3.51. I haven't taken the DAT yet.
The dentist I've shadowed has told me that my prior military service would help me tremendously toward gaining entry into school. I'm a two-time combat veteran, along with a 6-month stint in Kosovo.
I've been really worried about my grades, lately. With the economy dropping so badly, I anticipate a very high number of applicants (most with a higher GPA than I) by the time I graduate. I'm wondering what kind of an impact that my prior service would have on the accepting committees, if any.

Any confirmed opinions would be welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm fairly well decorated, after 8 years. No Bronze Star though, unfortunately.
I was a tank gunner in the calvary squadron that led the main push in OIF, among other things.
Probably doesn't help much.

I'm planning on doing alot of volunteer work at a local free dental clinic this summer, as well. And, I've finished an internship with Cummins Diesel last summer (as a Mech.Eng. major).

Hello,

I've posted on here before, a long time ago. I'm a sophomore, Lab Animal Science major. My overall GPA is 3.6, and my sci GPA is 3.51. I haven't taken the DAT yet.
The dentist I've shadowed has told me that my prior military service would help me tremendously toward gaining entry into school. I'm a two-time combat veteran, along with a 6-month stint in Kosovo.
I've been really worried about my grades, lately. With the economy dropping so badly, I anticipate a very high number of applicants (most with a higher GPA than I) by the time I graduate. I'm wondering what kind of an impact that my prior service would have on the accepting committees, if any.

/quote]

Wladziu,

You numbers look well within the range. That being said your previous military will be looked upon favorably for several reasons. In the academic environment there are a multitude of retired military members who might be on the reviewing committee/factulty. Secondly, you are going into dental school with some life experience under your belt. In dental school classes a number of the top students are people like that simply because they are motivated and really know what they want.

If at the time of your interviews you are still in the reserves in some manner wearing your uniform would present a distinct advantage in my opinion (unless of course you opted to wear tanker boots, just giving you a hard time).

Keep up the good work and thank you for your service.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Any confirmed opinions would be welcomed.

don't worry about your grades - they are fine. just get a good DAT score and you will be fine. no need to worry about the grades being too low, but a low DAT score will overshadow any grades.

after speaking to some of the members of the admissions committee at my school, they mentioned that there was discussion of comparing one school to another (i.e. one applicant had gotten their degree from a mostly on-line university while others hadn't. should equal gpa's from a traditional university be more heavily weighted than the on-line university?) the bottom line was that they used DAT scores to differentiate between someone who may have gone to an "easier" university/college than a student who went to a university highly respected for academics and making students work hard. therefore, they cared more about the DAT score than gpa's.

i'm not so sure that prior military service really matters much. i had prior service also, but i was the only one in my class that did. all other things being equal between applicants, i'm sure it could be the thing that puts you at an advantage.

however, i know that if a prior serviceman had been a dental tech, instead of a tanker, it would be more of an advantage - having prior dental service.

Hehehe, nice jab, Kabek. Haven't heard that in a few years.
I've done all 8, so no IR time for me.

That's kind of what I was thinking, about pre-mil faculty. What I'm really hoping to hear is someone that this actually happened to, or that their service gave them the needed edge over younger applicants.
The guy I shadowed really made it seem as if I would have a major edge.

I really appreciate the words from you, gentlemen/ladies.

I'm anxious to receive credit for my service, but I've been worrying non-stop about what type of conversations the admission committees may try to hold with me about it. Certain events in OIF really polarized my views on the military, and I'm still trying to get a grip on it.
I know better than to speak unfavorably about a former employer. But, it's disturbing to depend on my service for resume-padding, and have to deal with certain side-effects. I don't know if it's helping me or scaring the crap out of me.

I'm not sure if it's worth "faking the funk", if prior service isn't a powerful tool. I'd rather not grin and lie through my teeth about how great it was, if I can help it. I've never had to do this before.
Any experience or insights?

I'm a first year dental student. There are 6 members of my class (out of 60) with prior military service. Two Marines, two Navy, and two AF. One of the Marines did a tour in Iraq and a tour in Afghanistan. Sounds like their service gave them something to write their personal statements about. They say it helped them stand out....that's what every applicant needs, is to stand out. Two of the interviewers, one of which was the head of dental admissions, were retired AF so I assume that was a big help as well. Unfortunately those two are not on the admissions committee anymore. GPA an DAT scores are also HUGE and it sounds like you are doing just fine. That's my opinion anyway.

Good luck!

I'd rather not grin and lie through my teeth about how great it was, if I can help it. I've never had to do this before.
Any experience or insights?

i was able to mention my prior service here and there, but it wasn't a big topic of conversation with my interviewers. i was a dental tech, so i was mainly able to mention my prior service in relation to dental experience.

here is just my two cents:
since wars and deployments can be such a polarizing topic, i would try to keep any talk about your prior service to being straight-forward, minimal, and "just the facts, ma'am." you never know when you will end up with some hippie liberal interviewer that will try to bust your chops about deployments and/or combat service. just an example: i put down on my aadsas application that i liked to hunt as one of my hobbies. my interviewer started to ask me questions about hunting and shooting, to end of telling me that she was a vegetarian who didn't believe in eating or killing animals.
you never know what your interviewer might be thinking.

HOOAHHH!!! My fellow shipmates/soldiers/airpeople!! First off I want to say thanks for your outstanding service. Now to your question.. Your military service will benefit you in many ways throughout your entire life. It will definetely set you apart from your fellow dental applicants as most others are straight out of college, have been supported by their parents, and at most had a waiter type job. You have had experiences that will be very hard for anyone else to relate to because they are so unique, which can be a good and bad thing.

I am over a 10 year vet of the military and was an 8483/8404 Navy Corpsmen (USMC Battle ready medic and surgical technologist). I think my military and medical experience did help me gain entrance into dental school, but it was not even close to a game clencher. The admissions commitee still grilled me hard about certains things in my application and somewhat told me I wasn't qualified in some ways. I did gain admission to dental school my first try, but I also had 250 college credit hours, 8 years of medical experience, 8 years military experience, outstanding GPA's, DAT scores, and LOR's. I don't think that there is an easy answer, but just think of your military experience as a great adjunct to your already very nice GPA's and potentially great DAT score. Talk more about your leadership experience, rather than your battle hardness. I don't think admissions will understand and many of these people take things like this for granted. Just the fact that you will address the admissions people as sir/mam will probably already set you apart. Just keep doing what you are doing in school and the military experience will always be with you.

The fact that you will probably be one of the only people with military experience in your class can be a good and bad thing. It makes me somewhat angry to see the lack of interest in our military displayed by my classmates and other people at school. Many are spoiled ass kids who just have to worry about school and nothing else. You will certainly not be able to relate to this and may have a hard time dealing with it. Another example is a mormon kid who went and spent years in a foreign country to spread his religion, but then told me a military scholarship would be a complete waste of his time and adult life. It is this type of attitude that burns me up because the only reason they can take their mission trips is because they live in this great free country. I don't want to turn this into a rant, but these are the types of attitudes you will deal with and see on a daily basis so just try to keep your cool and realize you will never have to see these people again in a few years.

Anyway, good luck to you and I assure you that your military service will benefit you in many so many ways.

At least I'm gonna nail my medical terminology exam tomorrow. I'll stop worrying about this stuff, since all of you seem to be doing well. Even if some of you are Marines.

I don't want to turn this into a rant, but these are the types of attitudes you will deal with and see on a daily basis so just try to keep your cool and realize you will never have to see these people again in a few years.

Anyway, good luck to you and I assure you that your military service will benefit you in many so many ways.

Doubt that, because there are PLENTY of mormon missionaries in the military. BYU has one of the largest ROTC programs in the country and there are quite a few of us doing the HPSP. I guess I dont have much to say about some lone dufuss who got on the wrong side of a debate with you over the virtues of the military scholarship. Perhaps it became some kind of "servicier than thou" thing, I dunno, but in NO way is that dude representative of the whole.

One more thing. Great militaries dont make countries great. As someone pointed out, the greatest dictatorships there ever were enjoyed wonderful militaries and stellar police programs. Religion, and the good things that come from it, are what have made societies great (including our own).

Your GPA isn't anything to worry about. Mine's .1 or so lower and I still got into several competitive schools. From my experience this cycle, military service is great but it's no replacement for high grades and/or a killer DAT score. I think if I'd scored 18's or 19's on the DAT I would have had a difficult time getting in, despite serving my country, etc. Get 20+ across the board and you should be gold.
For the interview, don't overuse your military experience when answering the questions. Some of your interviewers might not give a rip or even look negatively on it. Balance yourself out with other experiences. I think someone recommended wearing a unifrom? That would be really awkward and probably viewed as excessive showboating. I think it's fine to talk about any negative experiences you had in the service, if it leads to some lesson learned or well thought out point. I wouldn't talk about anything disturbing you saw.
The best thing you can do is to be humble about your experience. Use it for certain, but sparingly and only when most effective to make a great point. That way people won't get tired of hearing about it and those that have a negative viewpoint of the military won't write you off automatically.

What makes socieites great are the laws that govern them. Put my vote for our Constitution and specifically the Bill of Rights.

San,

We are not saying that you can get in because of your military experience alone. If you read the thread were the OP posted on the pre-dent forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=490763

then you will see that I first state that you need to have competative stats. That is a no brainer!

I wasn't saying everyone else's advice was crap. Just voicing my experience in the value of a military background. I realize it's obvious to all (a no brainer as you so politely observed) that your stats need to be competitve; but the OP is asking how much being a vet will help and I think it's worth saying that a great DAT score will trump anyone's military record.

Doubt that, because there are PLENTY of mormon missionaries in the military. BYU has one of the largest ROTC programs in the country and there are quite a few of us doing the HPSP. I guess I dont have much to say about some lone dufuss who got on the wrong side of a debate with you over the virtues of the military scholarship. Perhaps it became some kind of "servicier than thou" thing, I dunno, but in NO way is that dude representative of the whole.

One more thing. Great militaries dont make countries great. As someone pointed out, the greatest dictatorships there ever were enjoyed wonderful militaries and stellar police programs. Religion, and the good things that come from it, are what have made societies great (including our own).

amen brother jmick101

I didn't state that this one guys attitude was in anyway representative of the entire faith or culture. Please don't misrepresent what I said. That was just one example of the types of attitudes that people present when confronted about service to this country. I knew a couple mormons on AD and know plenty more who have taken the military scholarship. THIS IS ONLY ONE EXAMPLE! I just used his religion as it is pertinent to the whole mission thing. Don't take what I said out of context killer

I didn't state that this one guys attitude was in anyway representative of the entire faith or culture. Please don't misrepresent what I said. That was just one example of the types of attitudes that people present when confronted about service to this country. I knew a couple mormons on AD and know plenty more who have taken the military scholarship. THIS IS ONLY ONE EXAMPLE! I just used his religion as it is pertinent to the whole mission thing. Don't take what I said out of context killer

I gotcha, no sweat.