Prison Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dean Cutillar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an opportunity to work for the Fed Bureau of Prisons as a psychiatrist. It's a low security facility in a very desireable location with very minimal call. Very good benefits. Does anyone have any input/advice/information that could shed light on this seemingly attractive job opportunity?

Thanks.

Dean.

Members don't see this ad.

Working in a government beaurocracy is aggravating beyong belief. If you are one of the lucky people that are able to resign yourself to the nonsense of the system, it can be a great gig. The money is usually good, and the benefits great. Should be plenty of time for other opportunities as well, as the work in prisons is often sort of rote in many cases.

In what capacity will you be working? Administrator primarily? You said you'll take call, so I assume it's primarily clinical duties. In what sort of facility? What population in particular? What are the clinical expectations? What kind of support staff will be working under you?

Working in a government beaurocracy is aggravating beyong belief. If you are one of the lucky people that are able to resign yourself to the nonsense of the system, it can be a great gig. The money is usually good, and the benefits great. Should be plenty of time for other opportunities as well, as the work in prisons is often sort of rote in many cases.

In what capacity will you be working? Administrator primarily? You said you'll take call, so I assume it's primarily clinical duties. In what sort of facility? What population in particular? What are the clinical expectations? What kind of support staff will be working under you?
I'll be working as a Psychiatrist to the inmates. Mostly male inmates I'm told. Call is "almost nothing" I'm told. There is no inpt ward there, so I'm thinking if I do get a call, I won't have to go in to see the pt. It's a Low Security facility. I'm told the inmates are "benign", and most of them are about to get released. Re:support staff, I'm told there are social workers and psychologists that do the main psychothereutic work.

It really looks like an attractive opportunity.

I'll be working as a Psychiatrist to the inmates. Mostly male inmates I'm told. Call is "almost nothing" I'm told. There is no inpt ward there, so I'm thinking if I do get a call, I won't have to go in to see the pt. It's a Low Security facility. I'm told the inmates are "benign", and most of them are about to get released. Re:support staff, I'm told there are social workers and psychologists that do the main psychothereutic work.

It really looks like an attractive opportunity.

The quality of the work will depend on whether it's a prison vs. jail (sometimes there's little difference), the intensity of call, and the patient population. You mentioned that it's minimum security, so that's theoretically a good thing, and will be less hassle for you getting in and out. During call, you will most likely have to go see them, since the consult will likely be for agitation or acute exacerbation of psychosis, etc.

You also said that most of the inmates are ready to be released. In my experience, the discharge facility is the best one to be working in...though it definately still has it's share of acute exacerbations and actual sociopathic acting out from inmates that in essence, do not want to leave jail since they cannot function in society.

It's good that you have social workers and psychologists who are likely doing the tedious treatment plans and even therapy. Your visits will most likely be a few minute encounters for follow-ups and obviously longer for intakes.

Jail psych can be a great gig, and it can be very frustrating. Either way, the pay should be competitive and the hours solidly predictable.

Best of luck.