Private Derm Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LR6SO4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is old news to those more in the system than me, but I found it interesting and new: From the Jan. 3 New England Journal of Medicine p. 4 of the Classified section

DERMATOLOGY- Three year program. Central and southern California and Iowa/Illinois locations. Complete training in academic, clinical and surgical dermatology over a three-year period. Stipend. Office based program. No hospital or university affiliation. Licensure required. One year US or Canadian PG training required. Respond with CV to: x x x x x x

Members don't see this ad.

It will be necessary to determine if this is actually an approved residency or merely a money making idea by dermatologists or others,if it is not approved you will not be eligible for board certification by the American Board of Dermatology,failure to complete an approved residency will make it difficult to recognized as a dermatologist by insurance plans or HMOs.It may also present medico-legal problems if you practice a specialty after training in this manner.On the other hand there have been some approved osteopathic training programs which are not hospital based but are oriented around private practices.These would make certification by the appropriate osteopathic board possible and avoid the problems I have outlined.