Private Practice Neurotology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eliteeli

2 Time Super Bowl MVP
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a current resident interested in Neurotology Unfortunately, I really dislike the academic environment and everything that comes along with it. Im wondering how common it is to go into PP after doing neurotology fellowship. Will I be able to find a job?

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding, many private practice groups are looking to recruit an otologist with an interest/experience in complex and chronic ears. If that is your goal you will likely find many opportunities. Job would still likely entail seeing some general patients. Would likely be more difficult to do 'true' lateral skull base, would need to right situation/hospital/neurosurgeon but there are precedents that have been very successful (i.e. Michigan Ear Institute)

There are a few "sweet spots" where I think you could do a lot of skull base/CIs. They're usually only sweet spots with regards to practice, however, because these are places with large catch basins in relatively undesirable locations (to most people) that still have a goodly number of general otolaryngologists and a shortage of neurosurgeons. El Paso, TX is one example. Closest neuro-otologist is about 4 hours away, but there are two ENT practices in town and three hospital systems and a catch basin of about 2 million (total)....but you have to live in El Paso, TX. I think you could do pretty well there, but I do still think you'd need to do a lot of "general" otology as well. Especially up front. I worked with a neuro-otologist in medical school who was private and in a larger city, but again, he did a lot of otology. There's also the option of working at a non-academic medical center/large hospital. I know two NOs who do that, and they do pretty well.

Keep in mind that you'll get most of your referrals from general ENTs. They're going to send you all theirs skull base stuff, but only if you also take their complicated ears that they either don't want to do, or that they've already done and now think need more expertise. If you don't eat that meat, they're going to stop sending you pudding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Unfortunately, I really dislike the academic environment and everything that comes along with it.

I am curious about this statement. Why do you dislike the environment and everything that comes along with it? What is the "everything" part?

I have found "academics" to be an amazing line of work. I teach, but I am not overly academic (if you mean do research). I have no overhead. I get paid based on my productivity, regardless of my patients' ability to pay. I do simple and complex cases. I do a lot of them. Industry comes to me to ask me about if I'll try new products; we get to use many of them first.

I get paid well, but all my PP friends (seem to ) get paid more.

On most days, I'm basically 8a-5p. 50 hours/wk is a "busy" week. Call is 1:12, and I come in 1-2x per call week. Everything non-oto I turf to my partners, even when on call (they do the same to me); it works out.

Curious.........

Reactions: 1 user
I am curious about this statement. Why do you dislike the environment and everything that comes along with it? What is the "everything" part?

I have found "academics" to be an amazing line of work. I teach, but I am not overly academic (if you mean do research). I have no overhead. I get paid based on my productivity, regardless of my patients' ability to pay. I do simple and complex cases. I do a lot of them. Industry comes to me to ask me about if I'll try new products; we get to use many of them first.

I get paid well, but all my PP friends (seem to ) get paid more.

On most days, I'm basically 8a-5p. 50 hours/wk is a "busy" week. Call is 1:12, and I come in 1-2x per call week. Everything non-oto I turf to my partners, even when on call (they do the same to me); it works out.

Curious.........

Hi Neutropeniaboy, you're current set up sounds very appealing. Can you comment to what area of ENT you practice (specialization vs. general ENT), the size of the academic center in which you work, and how many years out of residency you are? I have found that my department's attending work much longer hours and more frequent call than what you have described, and didn't realize that academic surgery could still be 8a-5p.