Private Practice Oriented OMFS Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaltyCFTR

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm just getting ready to submit my PASS application and was wondering if anyone has any information on which OMFS programs are more private practice oriented (focusing on extractions and implants heavily). I've heard Cincinnati, Tufts, MedStar, and Pitt are all pretty oriented towards this, but I've never been able to find any concrete information?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Monte, Highland, UCLA, and USC.

Reactions: 1 user
But why pigeonhole yourself, there are many programs that have dentoalveolar as good as many of the programs mentioned above, but have great full scope exposure as well

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I'm just getting ready to submit my PASS application and was wondering if anyone has any information on which OMFS programs are more private practice oriented (focusing on extractions and implants heavily). I've heard Cincinnati, Tufts, MedStar, and Pitt are all pretty oriented towards this, but I've never been able to find any concrete information?

Pitt??? Are you sure about that? Ive heard the opposite but I wonder whats true

But why pigeonhole yourself, there are many programs that have dentoalveolar as good as many of the programs mentioned above, but have great full scope exposure as well

perhaps this person sees past all of that “oh look ive done 2 neck whacks, 2 parotidectomies, and this and that and blah blah blah, i believe im a real surgeon” bs and just wants to get down to business, since he knows once he gets out, the only thing he’ll do to put food on table will be teeth and titanium (no shame in that at all). so why waste what’s left of his energy and youth learning something he will never do outside, instead of spending his time & energy currency laser focused on perfecting his craft, on that which he will use the most.

maybe not everyone has that “passion to really help others” nor even a passion for actual surgery and just wants to do good work and earn a decent living, again absolutely no shame in that at all.

perhaps this person sees past all of that “oh look ive done 2 neck whacks, 2 parotidectomies, and this and that and blah blah blah, i believe im a real surgeon” bs and just wants to get down to business, since he knows once he gets out, the only thing he’ll do to put food on table will be teeth and titanium (no shame in that at all). so why waste what’s left of his energy and youth learning something he will never do outside, instead of spending his time & energy currency laser focused on perfecting his craft, on that which he will use the most.

maybe not everyone has that “passion to really help others” nor even a passion for actual surgery and just wants to do good work and earn a decent living, again absolutely no shame in that at all.

I would say don't waste your time training 4-6 years to only do teeth and titanium. You can be very successful doing T & T as a GP.

If your only motivation to do OMFS is T & T, you'll most likely be regretting that decision when you're wiring a jaw shut under local in the ED at 3am.

I would say don't waste your time training 4-6 years to only do teeth and titanium. You can be very successful doing T & T as a GP.

If your only motivation to do OMFS is T & T, you'll most likely be regretting that decision when you're wiring a jaw shut under local in the ED at 3am.

agreed, this is a good advice.

Seriously, wiring a mandible under local in the ED is child's play. Consider doing I&D/penrose/red rubber drain special of a full submandibular and sublingual space abscess through the neck under local anesthetic...

Meanwhile at the government OMS residency, the freshly graduated attending insists that a 7 cm scalp lac needs to go to the OR. FML...they get institutionalized so quick these days