Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbruce

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
Can somebody set the record straight for me. How does private practice in America actually work?

A surgeon in the UK with no allegiance to the NHS makes his money by charging a set fee per operation, about £2,000 for a standard two hour operation.

Looking at surgeon jobs on a US jobsite, they all seem to be based on a set salary without any sign of commission.

Members don't see this ad.

drbruce said:
How does private practice in America actually work?

In a nutshell, physicians contract with selected third-party payers, including the federal and state governments (Medicare and Medicaid), and agree to accept the contracted amounts for covered services. Non-covered services (such as cosmetic surgery) are paid for directly by the patient. Physicians or physician groups are sometimes able to negotiate more favorable fee schedules with third-party payers, depending on various factors. However, Medicare fee schedules, on which most third-party fee schedules are based, are not negotiable. Generally, physicians are free to choose which insurance plans they participate in, including Medicare/Medicaid, and (rarely) may opt out of insurance altogether and contract directly with patients for payment.

Most physicians are compensated on a productivity basis, not a guaranteed salary, making "salary" figures somewhat dubious. In most cases, "salaried" physicians are paid a base salary with some sort of productivity bonus based on collections. In general, the more (or the smarter) you work, the more money you make. To maximize profitability, you also need to run your practice efficiently, and make smart decisions regarding payer mix, billing, coding, etc.

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but hopefully it helps. :)

yeah I was wonderin abt the same thing as I dont live in AMERICA...always wanted to no abt it, did hear from some pple though, but datz all!!