Private School vs State School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aishaam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am currently attending a community college and plan to transfer out next year. I wanted to either go to Georgetown University which has an exceptional pre-med program or I could go to my state school which has an okay pre-med program. I've decided to major in psychology and Georgetown does not have a very good psychology program, however, my state school is known for its psychology program. One thing I am worried about is the cost. My parents are not able to help me pay for college and if I go to Georgetown, I will have a lot of debt. Should I take my chances with Georgetown or play it safe with my state school?

Members don't see this ad.

How much debt we talking, like the full 60k sticker price for Grown? Or will you have a lot covered by aid?

Excelling at any accredited four year school will put you into a good position to go to medical school.
If you are really that interested in psychology and could see yourself working with a degree in psychology if you don't get into medical school then I'd go to the state school.
Have you visited both school? Talked to students there? From what you've said I don't see much reason to go to Georgetown...except the potential advantage that their pre med program might provide you.