Private University to Public University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seh435

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
answered!

Members don't see this ad.

My questions are:
1: Will med school admissions look down on the fact that I have went from a very well know private university to a lesser known state one?

2: How will it affect me if I get B's this semester at a private university and then get all A's at a state school? *hopefully*

3. I've NEVER had any science classes in college, so everything I do post-bac will be my cum Sci GPA. Most of the forums I've read I have interpreted as "Get an A or else:confused: " - soooo what is the average or what is "permissable" for a post Bac Science GPA???

Thanks in advance for your help!:love:

First I would also see if the new public school actually ACCEPTS courses taken at the private school. Private school curriculum sometimes don't transfer too well to public. For example, I had a friend that went to private California university, and decided to transfer to University of California, Irvine (UCI). UCI would not accept ANY of her classes. She ended up doing some community college work so she could get into UCI.

In regards to your questions:

(1) I wouldn't worry about that. If its an accredited university, they won't care. My concern here is your assumption that private schools are harder than public schools. You may be competing with brighter people at a private school, but it doesn't mean that you will learn easier concepts at a public school. You are expected to do well where-ever you go, and in whatever you do. Therefore, I'd address why you maintained roughly a 3.0-3.3 average, and fix it before you transfer.

(2) See above comment. Again I don't think they care. What are you going to do? Try to get a B rather than an A? You're already going to transfer to the new school. Last I checked, A's are better than B's, therefore I would focus on getting A's rather than "how it would look".

(3) There isn't really a number. But for the most part, in terms of our post-bacc program here at UC Davis, post-bacc students are required to maintain at least a 3.5 GPA, or they are booted out of the program. You can also look at the national averages on www.aamc.org. Its probably around a 3.4-3.6 these days for science majors. The same should apply since you are essentially doing a NEW program, not balancing non-science curriculum with pre-med science courses. Really, I'd shoot for a 4.0, since at that point, you know you've maxed out;) .

I attended a four year university and did ok (~3.3 sciGPA) then I attended some classes at a public school did very good (3.78 sciGPA). I don't think it hurt me since I had legitimate reasons to go from a more selective school to a less selective one (I was working and decided to quit job and move back home to do med school and since I came from an IT background I figured taking classes would help me 'get into the groove' of science courses). In fact it may even have helped me since my degree came from a well known school and my science GPA was bumped up because I had taken science courses recently and did well. In your case, since you have legitimate reason to move back, perhaps make a mention that money was a deciding factor to attended a cheaper college. In the end, no matter what school you go to, you need to do well. Aim for As and a few Bs.

I had just had a few questions regarding the "road to med school."

My background is that I graduated from a large 4 year state school in '05 with a cum. GPA of 3.45 in Retail Marketing (I know - Retail to Med School...I get crazy looks all the time :eek: ) I took my first job in Chicago (I'm from Ohio) in January of 2006, and a few months into it I realized that I should have listened to my gut in college and pursued medicine.

So, I decided to go back to school in Fall '06 to fulfill my pre-req courses while continuing to work full time. Currently, I am enrolled at a private 4 year college in Chicago ($$$$) taking Chemistry 101 and Biology 101. I have found that working and studying has become my life and I am still only doing average. I predict that I will probably come out of this fall semester with a B+/B in Bio and a B/B- in Chem. After A LOT of thought, I have decided to move back home (Ohio) after fall semester to save money - I still have the luxury of moving back in with my parents. In Ohio, I plan on enrolling in a state university ($) to complete the rest of my pre-reqs. I plan on working only part time.

My questions are:
1: Will med school admissions look down on the fact that I have went from a very well know private university to a lesser known state one?

2: How will it affect me if I get B's this semester at a private university and then get all A's at a state school? *hopefully*

3. I've NEVER had any science classes in college, so everything I do post-bac will be my cum Sci GPA. Most of the forums I've read I have interpreted as "Get an A or else:confused: " - soooo what is the average or what is "permissable" for a post Bac Science GPA???

Thanks in advance for your help!:love:

Private versus Public college or university does not matter as long as college or university is accredited. Also, avoid any on-line course for pre-reqs and avoid taking pre-reqs at a community college. How you perform in your coursework is paramount so do well.