Locum seems to pay well, protected from over-booking and calls.
Travel won’t be too much a problem, as there are multiple medical systems near where I live. They all go up and down, hence locum is always in need.
The only downside is no retirement benefit or medical insurance. What are the other potential pitfalls? Does it matter which locum company to work with? It seems a reasonable transition in between jobs if I feel burnout in current job but not ready to commit to the next one yet.
Happy to hear some thoughts.
I have so many feels about this question. I will start with some caveats.
1. I have never done locums. Like @osprey099 I have considered it as a retirement transition job however I'm already the age that they mentioned and am nowhere near retirement.
2. I have hired a number of locums docs and fired more. I have been named in (and quickly dismissed from) a wrongful termination lawsuit from a locums doc. I have spent the last year in my new position doing a lot of what the admin nerds call "service recovery" with patients and referring docs based on prior locums at this site.
Honestly, nobody but admin likes locums. For the rest of us, they are considered a necessary evil in a world where there is a physician maldistribution problem and it takes a year or more to recruit and onboard a permanent oncologist.
I have never worked with a locums doc that I was interested in hiring for a FT position. I have worked with a couple that I didn't want to punch in the face every day.
Having said all that, locums come into a difficult spot in most settings and TBH, the best you can hope for in that setting is "I didn't hate them". It's hard to pick up a new patient panel and try to figure everything out on the fly, especially when you disagree with prior management. Patients struggle with not having an oncologist that they can trust and engage with. It's also hard to work with a staff that isn't used to you and has probably circled the wagons to protect themselves from "you".
Knowing what I know now, I can only imagine doing very short term locums work (like 4 weeks or less for vacation coverage). There are a ton of rural solo docs out there (I'm one of them now) who need to take time off and need somebody to cover for them. I would 100% support this use of locums. Longer term locums (3-12 months) assignments, at least in oncology, are generally a s***show.
I am getting killed right now with my workload, but I am adamantly opposed to hiring a locums doc to support me for more than 2 weeks at a time.