1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Program-Specific Info / Q's Probability of getting into USC MOT w/ low GRE but high GPA

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by OTProspective_12, Aug 13, 2015.

1. OTProspective_12

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to USC's MOT program this Fall. Unfortunately, I have waited until last minute to take the GRE and I'm afraid I'll most certainly get a relatively low score as I didn't prepare enough. I was wondering what my chances of getting accepted into the program would be given my current stats, in case I do get a low score. If anyone has feedback, that'd be great! Thanks.

Cum GPA: 3.90
    Pre-requisite GPA: 4.00
    OT specific volunteer: 90 hrs. in hand therapy clinic

Experience in cog and phys research on Chronic pain and Fibromyalgia

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gntk

2+ Year Member

Occupational Therapy Student
    keep note, i believe USC doesn't do interviews, so IMO, they base it solely on your stats and how you present yourself in your PS/recs

but....i remember seeing USC has a minimum GRE score you have to achieve - which i think was 153 Verbal. Quantitive and Analytical writing may have recommended scores, but I remember seeing 153 as a minimum that must be met. (double check with USC to be safe!)

if you may not meet the minimum on that verbal score, its an easy factor to weed out people, even if your 1-2 points below and especially if there are no interviews held. so put your sweet, blood, and tears into that GRE score, and you should be fine!

4. CAOT

I personally would plan on either meeting their minimum GRE requirements or save my application money. Your GPA is awesome, and I'm guessing you'll test better than you expect; the scores are relative to your peers.

5. OThopeful08

Even if you do not meet the GRE requirements, I think it's worth a try. Maybe your grades, personal statement, and your rec letters could be enough to help you get in!

It says on their website, "*Applicants who fall slightly below any of the GPA and GRE general test admission criteria can be considered for conditional admission at the regular decision deadline (February 15)."

And if you don't meet the GRE requirements the first time, there is still time to study and retake it again!