Probability question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mstoothlady2012

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong here?

A bag contains 3 gold coins & 7 silver coins. The bag contains nothing else. If 3 coins are selected at random and without replacement from the bag, what is the probability that exactly 2 coins are silver?

7/10 * 6/9 * 3/8 = 7/40 <--- But this is not the answer:eek:

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What am I doing wrong here?

A bag contains 3 gold coins & 7 silver coins. The bag contains nothing else. If 3 coins are selected at random and without replacement from the bag, what is the probability that exactly 2 coins are silver?

7/10 * 6/9 * 3/8 = 7/40 <--- But this is not the answer:eek:

Thank you!

Hey buddy

you gotta use combinations for this question, because the order is not important. The one you claculated in only one of the many ways that can happen, and finding the other ways, multyplying them, and adding all of them up at the end would take you five minutes at least.

Using combination:

C(7,2) * C(3,1) / C (10,3) = 21 * 3 / 120 = 21/40
I hope you can find that in one of the choices. [* you gotta use the n! stuff to find the answer to each of the combinations. Let me know if you don't know how to calculate them]

Hey buddy

you gotta use combinations for this question, because the order is not important. The one you claculated in only one of the many ways that can happen, and finding the other ways, multyplying them, and adding all of them up at the end would take you five minutes at least.

Using combination:

C(7,2) * C(3,1) / C (10,3) = 21 * 3 / 120 = 21/40
I hope you can find that in one of the choices. [* you gotta use the n! stuff to find the answer to each of the combinations. Let me know if you don't know how to calculate them]
oh ok I get it. Uh! These are so hard for me, just took a quiz and got 2/10:( Thanks!