Probably a dumb question about the MSAR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, reading through the MSAR i see the median scores of accepted applicants. If a schools median PS is 11, BS is 11, and verbal is a 10, does that mean that their total median is a 32, or could it perhaps be a 30 or 31. WHat got me thinking about this was because alot of times ppls scores wont be balanced. So it might make sense for the Median Total MCAT scores to be a point or two lower.

Idk if yall understand that, but if you do let me know lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you kind of answered your own question in there.

Those median scores for each section are just for that section.

You can't just add them up to get the media MCAT score.

THanks, just making sure

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually have a question about this...didn't want to make a new thread because its probably pretty dumb.

Anyway, so what's the difference between a median and an average? I know what they are (middle #, sum divided by # of statistics), but people have been saying how one is higher than the other, one is more easily skewed by the other, etc. I'm just...lost. Can some stats buff explain this please?

People say that looking at the median for medical school acceptances is better than the average. THe reason being that BS/MD and URM can bring the average down, where as it wont effect the median too much. Thats my take on it

median is defenitley better because when averages are taken, outlier scores like 15 on each section or scores less than 8 will skew the average...so using the median is better in this cause because a few scores that are 15 will not push up the average...tahs why you notice that the scores are also whole numbers and not decimals...and yea you are right the average total score might be different from the addition of the medians of each section. Buuut you cant tell for sure, this could change from year to year and school to school...in some cases the addition of the means could be the same as the median...this happens when you have a perfect bell curve of scores....so there is ur stats lesson for the day! :D

median is defenitley better because when averages are taken, outlier scores like 15 on each section or scores less than 8 will skew the average...so using the median is better in this cause because a few scores that are 15 will not push up the average...tahs why you notice that the scores are also whole numbers and not decimals...and yea you are right the average total score might be different from the addition of the medians of each section. Buuut you cant tell for sure, this could change from year to year and school to school...in some cases the addition of the means could be the same as the median...this happens when you have a perfect bell curve of scores....so there is ur stats lesson for the day! :D
Lol, I hate stats.

yes you can...if you don't believe me, pm me and I'll prove it.