probably being dramatic? pls help šŸ„²šŸ„²

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelly anderson

Reaction score
hey everyone! new here to this site and just looking for some advice you guys can be as brutal as you want haha

i got my bachelor degree in biology 5 years ago and couldnā€™t really do much after since i have a kid. I was in a point last year where i could apply to pharmacy school since my classes didnā€™t expire and figured it would be worth a shot. Long story short, i applied and got in and am going to be attending a state school here in the midwest

itā€™s been 5!years and i really forgot a lot of my undergraduate pre-req courses i took and am worried if that would put me at a huge disadvantage to the point where iā€™d fail out of my first semester literally šŸ˜­

iā€™ve talked to a few pharmacist friends and have a lot of family who went into the field and they all told me donā€™t worry about anything from undergrad since nothing can prepare you and they review almost everything since itā€™s all new information but of course i just want more opinions.

Im not too worried since iā€™m a big fan of bio and really good at memorization (chemistry is a different storyšŸ™ƒ) and iā€™m willing to put in the work since my kid is old enough and thereā€™s nothing holding me back as much but my catastrophic thinking says iā€™m bound for failure. Any advice will do tbh i can handle it haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hey everyone! new here to this site and just looking for some advice you guys can be as brutal as you want haha

i got my bachelor degree in biology 5 years ago and couldnā€™t really do much after since i have a kid. I was in a point last year where i could apply to pharmacy school since my classes didnā€™t expire and figured it would be worth a shot. Long story short, i applied and got in and am going to be attending a state school here in the midwest

itā€™s been 5!years and i really forgot a lot of my undergraduate pre-req courses i took and am worried if that would put me at a huge disadvantage to the point where iā€™d fail out of my first semester literally šŸ˜­

iā€™ve talked to a few pharmacist friends and have a lot of family who went into the field and they all told me donā€™t worry about anything from undergrad since nothing can prepare you and they review almost everything since itā€™s all new information but of course i just want more opinions.

Im not too worried since iā€™m a big fan of bio and really good at memorization (chemistry is a different storyšŸ™ƒ) and iā€™m willing to put in the work since my kid is old enough and thereā€™s nothing holding me back as much but my catastrophic thinking says iā€™m bound for failure. Any advice will do tbh i can handle it haha
I hope for everyone's sake that it's not Life or Death.
Okay, so a few pharmacist friends and a lot of family, all pharmacists, nobody has said anything to you about the state of the profession. Coming to this forum, your only concern is the validity of undergrad courses as it pertains to pharmacy school.
You are good to go! Welcome to the fraternity!

Reactions: 2 users
I hope for everyone's sake that it's not Life or Death.
Okay, so a few pharmacist friends and a lot of family, all pharmacists, nobody has said anything to you about the state of the profession. Coming to this forum, your only concern is the validity of undergrad courses as it pertains to pharmacy school.
You are good to go! Welcome to the fraternity!
i understand the state of the profession donā€™t get me wrong but iā€™m pretty much guaranteed a job as soon as i would graduate since my brother has multiple privately owned pharmacies in the midwest here and heā€™s doing pretty good as far as iā€™m concerned.
When you say ā€œgood to goā€ are you referring to my concern i expressed in the post?

Members don't see this ad :)

cmon can someone please give me some advice or what to expect here? haha iā€™m losing my marbles

Pharmacy school is easy- I mean, they will take just about anybody that applies and has the money/loans at this point. Passing the boards is a different issue.
Word of warning about the indy pharmacy - they are getting super squeezed on margins by the big PBM and unless they are in a niche - they are slowing dying in most places in this country.
Save the money and go a different route.

Reactions: 1 users
Word of warning about the indy pharmacy - they are getting super squeezed on margins by the big PBM and unless they are in a niche - they are slowing dying in most places in this country.

This. To the OP: there is no guarantee that your brother's pharmacies will even exist once you graduate in 4 years. A lot has changed in the last 4 years, and a lot more can definitely change within the next 4.

cmon can someone please give me some advice or what to expect here? haha iā€™m losing my marbles
Sorry, we keep giving you advice AND you said:

Iā€™ve talked to a few pharmacist friends and have a lot of family who went into the field and they all told me donā€™t worry about anything from undergrad since nothing can prepare you and they review almost everything since itā€™s all new information but of course i just want more opinions.

You have all these pharmacist friends and pharmacist family, yet you are coming here consulting with a bunch of internet self-professed experts, all with questionable backgrounds, maybe to get a different answer?
I might be a 13 yo, living in my parent's basement, giving out horrible advice! What would you like to hear?
this is baffling.

Reactions: 2 users
I took a gap year after my bio degree to work in a pharmacy. At my school a solid two thirds of the class came from their pre-pharm program. I felt at a definite disadvantage since they had finished o-chem a few months ago and it had been like 4 years for me. I found the first semester of med chem difficult as it was a lot of acid base stuff I just didn't remember. Good luck to you.

Many pre-reqs have a five year limit. If your courses in science and math are not under the five year mark you have to repeat.

Just saying but you can learn a good 3 years worth of undergrad level science in 3 months. Its all extremely basic and just requires time to keep looking at it every day. I am pretty sure there is a study plan for the DAT in the pre-dental forums that gives schedule of how I studied for PCAT. It requires like 6-8 hours of studying per day tho, so if you really worried you can just put this work in.

As others have said, donā€™t do pharmacy. Itā€™s bad and only getting worst. Have you looked into IT?