probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTCareer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im on probation for a 79. Im under stress and worried that I wont have any kind of career. Working my butt off spent my money. Anybody ever make a C and make it out alive in OT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is it for a prerequisite class? You can always retake it since many programs will either average the 2 grades together or take the better of the 2.

Is it for a prerequisite class? You can always retake it since many programs will either average the 2 grades together or take the better of the 2.

I think OTcareer is already in OT school. I've heard that all schools require you to maintain a B. OTcareer how long do you have to bring the grade back up? Is the 79 just one grade or the whole course?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im already in OT school

Last edited:
OTCareer, hang in there!! Think of this as preconditioning to future work: some work settings require tedious documentation and overwhelming productivity and in some settings you need to work with other health professionals who might not be quite on board as you and you still need to deal with organizational bureaucracy!

A couple of people in my program are on probation too. Just make sure you buckle down and do what you need to do to keep the grades up. Are you trying to juggle a job at the same time? If so, I would suggest you cut back on your hours or quit if that's at all possible. Grad school is supposed to be your full-time job. If that's not the case, do some heavy thinking about what is keeping you from being successful.

Lastly, know that your school doesn't want to kick you out; if they do, that's a lot of money their out for the next ~2 years. Have you talked to professors or the head of the program to find out strategies?

Im on probation for a 79. I was shot down told me Im not capable. Im under stress and worried that I wont have any kind of career. Working my butt off spent my money. Anybody ever make a C and make it out alive in OT?

I'm wondering where exactly is your school. (But I understand the need for privacy). Its crazy to me that your program is seeming a bit negative towards you [telling you you're not capable with a 79] and I'm wondering have they tired to be more helpful? Anyways best of luck to you, I hope you pull that C up.:xf:

Your program is a bit harsh. You need to get a B in all of your course work or maintain a B/3.0 GPA? My program requires us to maintain a 3.0 GPA and we can get C's in our coursework but nothing below a C.

All graduate programs, OT or otherwise, require you to maintain a certain GPA, and generally yes, it's nothing less than a B or B-, or around a 3.0. I already have a Masters degree in another subject, and anything below a B was basically considered a failing grade in that program. Graduate school SHOULD be harder than college; you are trying to specialize in something that you will potential turn into a specific career. With a health science field, I see no problem in having fairly strict standards of achievement. Granted, OTs are not medical doctors or surgeons, and they don't save lives, but they do provide life-improving treatment, and I know if I were a patient, I would want a top-notch therapist. Setting standards weeds out those who are not capable. So for the original poster, I highly suggest buckling down, studying hard and getting some additional help. Talk to your professors and see what needs to be done to bring your grades up. Utilize your fellow students in study groups to review material you are shaky on, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Ive gotten a couple C's in my program. They really take a hit on GPA but as long as its above a 3.0 I am fine.

I think they are harsh honestly. We need a B in every class and a 3.0 gpa in all classes that is fine but the thing is the grading is tough a lot of it is subjective. It is not that I dont understand the material. Exams and quizzes for example in every class nothing is multiple choice you do it written and you write about 3 to 4 sentences and final exams are comprehensive. Im working my butt off you study real hard get the grade back BOOM it is like a 75 and you thought you wrote good answers.I lost 10 points once for not dressing up for a presentation he never said we had too it was a short 10 min poster and yet some others didnt dress up and I asked around ..some did some didnt...it was strange like favoritism now dress up to be safe. There are some others not doing good or right on edge of probation you know was a honors student. This guy the professor lost his paper and gave him a failing grade on the paper for that and yet the professor lost it. He expected him to have like a back up copy and he should of but still dunno think they are harsh but have to stick it out and hope for the best trying to get out of here with a degree.

Last edited:
If you search past posts, you can find out.:( I guess we should avoid posting the name directly.

I'm not gonna say the name but honestly wasn't surprised when I found out what school it was. I considered going but withdraw my app when I saw their unprofessionalism. Good luck OTcareer.