Problem based and small group learning curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gildas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For medical students who are in this type of curriculum, can you tell me if you really need most of the required books. Some of my friends advised me not to buy the books because I will not have time to read them all. I will be an MSI at the new DO school "SOMA" which has a different type of curriculum, based on a Clinical Presentation Model and small group learning. Since we will spent most of our time teaching ourselves, will the notes provided by the school be sufficient?
Any thought will be much appeciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For medical students who are in this type of curriculum, can you tell me if you really need most of the required books. Some of my friends advised me not to buy the books because I will not have time to read them all. I will be an MSI at the new DO school "SOMA" which has a different type of curriculum, based on a Clinical Presentation Model and small group learning. Since we will spent most of our time teaching ourselves, will the notes provided by the school be sufficient?
Any thought will be much appeciated.

Depends on the books they "require" - different strokes for different folks. Some like Gartner/Hyatt, I like Ross/Pawlina. But in general, you will need to either buy a lot of books or use the library frequently. One thing I did to decrease my book buying was to buy a printer, and simply print out sections of books that were available online. Reading chapters through your laptop screen can strain your eyes.

I'd imagine that in PBL or small group type curriculums where there's more emphasis on self-learning, there would be more of a need for textbooks since you don't get lecture notes. But I'm also just starting in the Fall, so I might not be the best judge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd imagine that in PBL or small group type curriculums where there's more emphasis on self-learning, there would be more of a need for textbooks since you don't get lecture notes. But I'm also just starting in the Fall, so I might not be the best judge.

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought we will be getting "course" notes. Eitherway, I already ordered some of the books, so we will see what happens. I guess I can always sell the books back if I don't use them. GreenShirt, see you at the orientation.

I am in PBL and our required textbooks is where we choose the chapters that are testable. you can use review guides, other refs, but only the required text is what they test out of and where you can argue your answers!! be careful about going overboard on buying books...ask for advice, check them out and see what works for you. each review topic (book) are better than others. good luck on your 1st yr!

I am in PBL and our required textbooks is where we choose the chapters that are testable. you can use review guides, other refs, but only the required text is what they test out of and where you can argue your answers!! be careful about going overboard on buying books...ask for advice, check them out and see what works for you. each review topic (book) are better than others. good luck on your 1st yr!

He is so right on this one. Thats one of the few downsides to PBL. Although you are allowed to use whatever text you want, you have to look at the text the teacher who is writing your test uses, or you're guaranteed to have some strange gibberish on your test.