Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDgirl76

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize late in the med school process that I would have loved to apply to rads. By late, I mean although I took radiology (2 week elective which I loved) - I will not have a chance to take another rads elective b applications go out. Nor have I done any research/publications in rads. Besides research what else would help? I aim to match in 2006. I have great LOR from IM, Fam, and Peds so far. However, I did not get one from my rads rotation, which was for only 2 wks and at a DO hospital (though a great program!). So now I am wondering how can I get into rads eventually if I match in another specialty. Which specialty would it be easiest to transfer from? Also I was hoping I could do research during the other specialty. Do you think this is unrealistic? What do you think is my best chance? I have yet to take step 2 also. APpreciate all your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Some of this depends on your Step 1 score. However, in my opinion and I'm sure others will feel the same way, it is WAY more difficult to transfer into radiology than it is to match without too much radiology exposure, no pun intended. I would do my best to try and sneak a few more weeks in, maybe during vacation time or in between 3rd and 4th yrs if possible. Even if you do in your free time, you can probably get a letter and explain the whole thing briefly in your personal statement. I would not plan on transferring though, esp from family, med, or peds, b/c there are financial issues that would further hinder your cause. Maybe you can give us more info as to your med school standing (3rd yr?), Step 1 score (always beneficial), and 3rd yr honors (surg, med, peds most important). Also, is your 4th yr schedule set in stone? I can't imagine if you talked to a Dean and told them how you want to pursue rads that they won't allow you to change your schedule.

You could theoretically transfer from surgery since you'd have 5 years of GME funding going that route...

I would just apply. I didn't take my first official radiology rotation until January of my Senior year well after I applied and after I already went on about 10 interviews for radiology. Not sure if it hurt me or not, but if you're interested in radiology...just apply.