Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salmanali47

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a foreign qualified dentist and just recently completed an MPH program. The reason I opted for public health was because I did not think I wanted to do anything with dentistry anymore. I was very good in the theoratical stuff but my practical work stinked. But then there was so much pressure back home that I never had time for the waxing, curing. set-ups etc. and just relied on 'other means' to get them done. I cleared dental school and was ranked amongst the top students of my class. Trust me there were brilliant people in my class but I guess I was just plain lucky.

Now I am at a point in my life where I am being forced to reconsider dentistry again. It is just that I would ideally do medicine but that is not possible. I am sure I can do well enough in the boards to get admission somewhere but the point is I really dread what will happen when I get into dental school. How will the school react when they realize my practical work sucks? I know a 2 year program will provide a chance to learn, but surely there must be some level of expertise that must be present?

Would really appreciate some guidance? I mean there must be others who face the same predicament..i.e practical work not as good as theory. So what do they do?

Pz Help?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered academics/teaching or research?

Or how about something that involves less "practical work" - like doing specialty training in Oral Pathology or Oral Medicine? There are a lot of medical aspects present in these specialties, and you mentioned you would ideally like to do medicine. Maybe this would be a better option for you to pursue rather than going back to dental school for a foreign dentist training program and being miserable doing waxups and dentures again.

Good luck!

salmanali47 said:
I am a foreign qualified dentist and just recently completed an MPH program. The reason I opted for public health was because I did not think I wanted to do anything with dentistry anymore. I was very good in the theoratical stuff but my practical work stinked. But then there was so much pressure back home that I never had time for the waxing, curing. set-ups etc. and just relied on 'other means' to get them done. I cleared dental school and was ranked amongst the top students of my class. Trust me there were brilliant people in my class but I guess I was just plain lucky.

Now I am at a point in my life where I am being forced to reconsider dentistry again. It is just that I would ideally do medicine but that is not possible. I am sure I can do well enough in the boards to get admission somewhere but the point is I really dread what will happen when I get into dental school. How will the school react when they realize my practical work sucks? I know a 2 year program will provide a chance to learn, but surely there must be some level of expertise that must be present?

Would really appreciate some guidance? I mean there must be others who face the same predicament..i.e practical work not as good as theory. So what do they do?

Pz Help?
Med school: 4yrs + 2-3 yrs residency
Dental school: 2 yrs advanced standing + 2-3 yrs post-doc

If your practical work sucks then try to specialize like perio, endo, ortho, pedo, oral surgery, anything with an O is fine! except Prostho! You won't have to touch a drill again but when you do, you don't have to make any restoration looks good!

Since you're starting as 3rd yr you don't have to worry too much about preclinic works. You're not the only one whose practical work sucks. About waxups and dentures, you can pay someone else to help you out! There're about 2-3 people in my class (I'm one of them!) that help other folks out with dentures, partials in clinic from start to finish for beer money! :)

Or you can do what Griffin said! that's another good option.