Problems at Columbia?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently, colmubia is having some issues with its accreditation due to a variety of defficiencies in its facilities and cirriculum. The only real info i have is from this post over in the premed forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=186232

Seems to be a good source though as two current students have weighed in as to the accuracies of the statement of the first poster.

Are there any CU MSTP students out there who might be able to give their opinions on this matter? Is this is really as serious as it sounds?

I'm a more than a bit worried now as i have been considering Columbia one of my top choices. Any comments by Columbia students or others are very welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

i'll let columbia people weigh in on this - but i'll vouch for the statements - a good friend of mine is an ms2 there and recieved the email and attachment.

all medical schools have problems, and areas that need improvement - but i think the tendancy is to be dismissive about this sort of thing, especially for those currently at the school. while it does say something important, it isn't necessarily something new, however, for clearly columbia has been sailing along without serious problems despite what the lcme says. but it does highlight important issues (i.e. "curriculum" and it's relationship to clerkships); the lcme has just given voice to things that people generally know, but don't like to say.

stanford had an issue with the lcme many years back - and many people were surprised that a school like stanford would be deficient in so many areas. it is precisely because of school like stanford's reputation that things can degenerate internally without having great external consequences (hence, why the lcme exists - to ensure students actually recieve the education they should expect). clearly, stanford's rep wasn't hurt by it much as they fixed things, and neither will columbia's. if you already liked the style of p&s, it probably changes little. p&s will probably get around to addressing these things and will continue to be a good place. it is a generally slow moving institution, and it is just a question of whether you want to be there while they are instituting reforms.

I'm an MS3 here and I never received this email they are talking about..so I don't put too much weight into it...

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd check your columbia email account, specifically. it was sent to all the closed class list-servs by each of the class presidents...

Habari said:
i'd check your columbia email account, specifically. it was sent to all the closed class list-servs by each of the class presidents...

How would Habari know this? isn't he in Tri-I? :)

for some odd reason i did not recieve this email either (me at columbia mstp etc)....maybe i was just being absent minded again. although i have heard that quite a shocking number of people failed the step ii clincial section. the problem is that columbia is so gung-ho with the research part (with various big shot nobel winners who shall remain unnamed here pushing the wiz crap money out of everything, though making columbia hugely huge in neuro) that the clinical training may be potentially lacking. Now, depending on your perspectives, this may even be a good thing for the mdphds.

look forward to seeing everyone at the revisit.

PS now on a second look i did find this email :p We don't have enough "amulatory" space... :smuggrin: