problems. I need answers.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjz0001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice.

ok, so I attended Baylor from 1999-2004. I had a HORRIBLE GPA at Baylor. I had a 2.3 there with ~130 hours taken. :scared: :( Most of my grades that pulled me down were madatory religion and liberal arts class. I had dabbled in the idea of pre-med there but never completed half of the courses there.

I have currently been doing post bac work since 2004 at University of North Texas and have a GPA there of 3.8 with over 58 hours done.

I have been working as a psychiatric case manager and have ALOT of experience as far as clinican experience. Exactly 3 years.

I am taking my MCAT on May 31st and am enrolled in a Kaplan Course.

I am a disatvantaed URM as well.

What are my chances? I need honest opinions here.

Members don't see this ad.

I need some advice.

ok, so I attended Baylor from 1999-2004. I had a HORRIBLE GPA at Baylor. I had a 2.3 there with ~130 hours taken. :scared: :( Most of my grades that pulled me down were madatory religion and liberal arts class. I had dabbled in the idea of pre-med there but never completed half of the courses there.

I have currently been doing post bac work since 2004 at University of North Texas and have a GPA there of 3.8 with over 58 hours done.

I have been working as a psychiatric case manager and have ALOT of experience as far as clinican experience. Exactly 3 years.

I am a disatvantaed URM as well.

URM is meaningless in the DO world.

Go for it, do well on MCAT.

URM is meaningless in the DO world.

Go for it, do well on MCAT.

I don't think that's true; i've gone to open houses where they say they want a diversified class. also some have stressed urms and those willing to work in the underserved areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
it is not meaningless at all....there is definitely active recruitment and a focus on diversifying the classes

Sure, of course they want diversity. Every school wishes for that. However, being a URM will not mean you can get in with low grades/scores.

Sure, of course they want diversity. Every school wishes for that. However, being a URM will not mean you can get in with low grades/scores.
urm discussions may be the only threads on SDN that turn into complete $hit faster then a DO vs. MD discussion...... neither of us are on admissions committees...so just drop it..

duplicate post

I have a GPA of 3.8 with over 58 hours done.

I was in a very similar situation as you... Almost failed out of my freshman year of college, then spent 1.5 years rebuilding my undergrad GPA. Took another 3 years of post bacc, while working as a psychiatric case manager & behavioral therapist, maintained a 3.6 post bacc science GPA. Took MCAT, scored a 27, then got accepted to DO school this year.

It is possible for you! The psychiatry experiences only help your application, especially if you emphasize on your DO application how it (the job) helps you to be a good communicator with your current & future patients. Volunteer in other medical specialties if you can, for well-rounded experiences. Are you interested in primary care as well? Primary care interest happens to be a factor for many successful DO applicants, but you can specialize in anything later.

Keep your post bacc science GPA 3.5+ high. About your poor undergrad grades, if you are interviewed and they ask you about poor past grades, don't make excuses, just give the truth & say how you've matured mentally & academically. Give real examples of how you are prepared for a rigorous academic challenge of med school. Nobody wants a below-average quitter.

Make sure to finish all your required science classes (g-chem, o-chem, physics, bio) & their corresponding labs. Some schools also want 1 year of English, 1 semester of Biochemistry, & 1 semester of Genetics... so check the admissions requirements of each school you apply to.

Study hard for the MCAT with those practice exams, and score 25+, you will be okay with the admissions.

After that, get yourself in touch with a DO physician to learn more about OMM & their training/specialty. You definitely want a letter of recommendation from this physician.

Everyone will tell you to apply early for the 2008 cycle! This is like June/July2007. Better chance of getting an earlier secondary & interview.

Good luck!

The URM thing, I don't have any advice for that.

Just make your application shine! Do your best, show on paper & the interview that you will be a successful med student.

You will never know until you try. Oh and "woohoo UNT!!! We rock!! Go Eagles!!!" :)

You will never know until you try. Oh and "woohoo UNT!!! We rock!! Go Eagles!!!" :)

Hey, hows application progress so far? I was reading your mdapplicants profile you been through a lot lately. I wish you best of luck, you will be a great doc :)

Do well on the MCAT.
Experience counts for a LOT, so you'll be OK.
URM? hey, they like diversity right? don't make EXCUSES for your past, merely tell them that you have learned from it, and how it won't happen again. The one problem may be your overall GPA- it could keep you from getting interviews, but you never know until you try- oh yeah, and KILL the MCRAP- it shows you're still smart enough and motivated, especially a high verbal score, as this correlates most closely with Step 1 success.

Hey, hows application progress so far? I was reading your mdapplicants profile you been through a lot lately. I wish you best of luck, you will be a great doc :)

Ehh, I am ok. I have been having alot of family problems, but I am trying to ignore them for the sake of my sanity. The application process has been pretty crappy for me. I have signed up for the July MCAT and got into a 2 year masters program in Microbiology. I have also applied to the 1 year masters program at UNTHSC (TCOM) and hopefully I will get in because it will for sure help me if I can make the 3.5 cutoff. Thanks for the support! I dont know if I have ever seen your MDapps, you should send me the link so I can leave you a message :) I wish you luck at NYCOM next year!! congrats on the acceptance!!!

No one will know your chances until your MCAT. Lets ignore the URM thing for a min. With that low of a GPA you are going to need to do well (above the avg of the school you are looking at) to have a chance. Even if your status helps you (which I hope I does), if you get a 20 on your MCAT you are prob. not gonig to have a chance bc of your GPA. Study hard for the MCAT and best of luck.

Ehh, I am ok. I have been having alot of family problems, but I am trying to ignore them for the sake of my sanity. The application process has been pretty crappy for me. I have signed up for the July MCAT and got into a 2 year masters program in Microbiology. I have also applied to the 1 year masters program at UNTHSC (TCOM) and hopefully I will get in because it will for sure help me if I can make the 3.5 cutoff. Thanks for the support! I dont know if I have ever seen your MDapps, you should send me the link so I can leave you a message :) I wish you luck at NYCOM next year!! congrats on the acceptance!!!

I took that MCRAP 3 times, I wanted to barbeque my MCAT materials after I got accepted, but my mom told me to sell them :)I dont have MDapplicants profile, I dont think I can put up with negative and arrogant comments up there.... UNTHSC program sounds good, I am sure u will get in. GOOD LUCK!!!:luck: :luck: :luck: