Procedure Logs For Attendings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paddington

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say one leaves their job and goes elsewhere, where a hospital/practice/surgery center or other institution demands to see procedure logs.

1) How long are procedure logs good for? Do you need to show ongoing, current use of skills? For example, I have 200+ EMG/NCS logged from residency, but since that was years ago, must I now each year also log some of the EMG/NCS that I do, in case I change jobs? If so, what's current - generally speaking - for most institutions purposes? Procedures from the past 1 year? 2 years? 5 years?

2) As above, how many does one need to show competence? Should I log about 10 EMG's each year, or must I log every single one, to show the maximum possible volume?

3) Likely it seems logging EMG's and interventional procedures is worth while, but would you also log joint injections and trigger points? Has anyone ever given a Physiatrist a hard time about being able to do the latter?

4) In terms of *what* to keep on the log:
a) MRN
b) Date of Birth
c) Date of Service
d) Sex
e) Diagnosis
f) Procedure Code
g) Location?
Am I missing anything?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as Emg goes I have had a couple friend get in a pissing contest with Neuro that sat on the privileging board that required more than 200 cases and wanted them To sit for the EMG boards within 2-3yr, I've heard similar stories for spinal injections blocked by anesthesia member with and without ACGME fellowship. The advice I was given was to record for the first 2-3 years. My excell log has date of serve age sex and procedure. I include a supervisor for fellowship procedures. Joint and trigger point don't need log although I log my floro injections

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

don't you keep electronic records of your EMGs? I just keep a thumb drive (used to be a DVD, before that a CD, and before that a floppy) of all of my studies. I have electronic backup of all of my 18,000+ EMGs I've done in my career. When I came to this town 15 yrs ago, the local neurologist wanted to deny me privileges. I showed him the electronic copies, and he had nothing to say. Now, he has stopped doing them and refers all of his studies to me.

The medical staff bylaws of each hospital are different. You need to comply by them. More info is better than less.

Reactions: 1 user