PROCESS macro help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychoptimist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I doing simple mediation using PROCESS. My IV and mediator are continuous but my DV is dichotomous.
The output shows that path a is significant, that path b is significant and path c' is not significant. However, I do not know where in the PROCESS output it shows the direct effect (path c)?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I doing simple mediation using PROCESS. My IV and mediator are continuous but my DV is dichotomous.
The output shows that path a is significant, that path b is significant and path c' is not significant. However, I do not know where in the PROCESS output it shows the direct effect (path c)?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
The direct effect c is just a regression with X as the IV and Y as the DV.
But you don't need it. You're about to check whether the c path drops to non-significance after including the mediator, which is an old approach. The significance of the indirect effect is all you need to establish medication. The sig value of c delta is dependent on sample size; you could have a drop from .85** to .25* and that's "partial" mediation and a drop from .25* to .24 (ns) and that's "full" mediation, which makes no sense

Reactions: 1 user
The direct effect c is just a regression with X as the IV and Y as the DV.
But you don't need it. You're about to check whether the c path drops to non-significance after including the mediator, which is an old approach. The significance of the indirect effect is all you need to establish medication. The sig value of c delta is dependent on sample size; you could have a drop from .85** to .25* and that's "partial" mediation and a drop from .25* to .24 (ns) and that's "full" mediation, which makes no sense

You are a lifesaver! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are a lifesaver! Thank you!
FYI, Kenny writes about this in more detail on his web site:
http://davidakenny.net/cm/mediate.htm#IE

You might still encounter thesis committee members, reviewers, etc., who expect to see c and c' so maybe you have a reason for wanting to do a Sober test anyway, or you can read that and more recent papers on mediation to be able to tell committee members etc why you're not looking at it.

HTH!

Yup, use the confidence intervals of the indirect effect. If the confidence interval doesn't include zero, it's significant and you can say there was mediation.