Profession other than dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quackwhacker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was asked this at an interview a couple years ago. My response was professional baseball player or coach (high school). Also said music producer.

Just wondering what everyone else's would be, that and I don't have my 20th interview invite to brag ab haha

Members don't see this ad.

are you serious? did they really ask you that? thats tough..

maybe i'll try to backfire at them and say I want to be interviewer because I like to ask frustrating questions.

Just be honest...it really doesn't matter what you choose. They're just trying to see if you can think on the spot. People analyze interview questions too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
This question would make my day.

I've been working with my parents for 10+ years and if dentistry really didn't work out, I would eventually take over after their retirement. My parents and I have a wholesale business that started back in 2001.

I would end up making a lot more than a dentist would, so if they asked me a follow up question of why I still chose dentistry instead of a well-established business, I would have so much to talk about :D

Not having loans for schooling + practice would be really great... but dentistry is my dream and I could probably list 1000 reasons on why I would pick dentistry over my current business.

I'm a non-traditional applicant, so I feel like this question is just perfect for me. I completely agree with Jaesango. As long as you don't come off as unprepared and/or weird, any answer probably would work. Just be confident but not proud. :thumbup:

Say chiropractic. Do it.

I asked this question just the other day in an interview.

I asked this question just the other day in an interview.

aren't you a D1? your school must give you guys all kinds of latitude.

aren't you a D1? your school must give you guys all kinds of latitude.

D2. D2s sit in on interviews. Atmosphere is pretty laid back so we are able to ask questions if we have any.

ok, that makes more sense.

would "being the ringleader of a band of thieves each with distinct skills and specialties" be an acceptable answer?

ok, that makes more sense.

would "being the ringleader of a band of thieves each with distinct skills and specialties" be an acceptable answer?

Of course! Anything besides a knee-jerk "physician" is acceptable.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about dental office manager?

If I were a foot taller, I'd like to play professional basketball! haha

Got the same question in my interview at NOVA. told her I'd start a band and move to Nashville.

I'd have to go with chef. Man do I love food.

I said dental hygienist. They probably just want to see if you are really interested in dentistry.

I don't know what the interviewer got from it, but I didn't ask to trick the interviewee or anything. Of course everyone coming through there loves dentistry, teeth, their inspirational orthodontist, blah, blah, blah. This was more of a "what other passions do you have in life" question. There's not really a right or wrong answer (for me anyway). There's weird answers, or boring answers, but in general it made for interesting conversation rather than just short questions and short answers, loosened up the mood, and got the interviewee talking about himself rather than answering standard questions.

I don't know what the interviewer got from it, but I didn't ask to trick the interviewee or anything. Of course everyone coming through there loves dentistry, teeth, their inspirational orthodontist, blah, blah, blah. This was more of a "what other passions do you have in life" question. There's not really a right or wrong answer (for me anyway). There's weird answers, or boring answers, but in general it made for interesting conversation rather than just short questions and short answers, loosened up the mood, and got the interviewee talking about himself rather than answering standard questions.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but in your experiences sitting/participating in interviews, is it better for the interviewee to give short, straight forward answers (without much detail and minimally answers the question) or longer responses (with more details and possibly a story related to the question) that are more detailed? I know 'short and concise' answer is the way to go but if it came down to it, which would be received more positively?

Don't mean to hijack the thread but in your experiences sitting/participating in interviews, is it better for the interviewee to give short, straight forward answers (without much detail and minimally answers the question) or longer responses (with more details and possibly a story related to the question) that are more detailed? I know 'short and concise' answer is the way to go but if it came down to it, which would be received more positively?

If there is natural support to your answer, then I think it's okay to elaborate. By natural support, I mean it's relevant info/story/experience that doesn't stray too far from the question. I think depending on the question, it's knowing when enough is enough...looking for non-verbal feedback. Generically, I'd say shorter is better. I got destroyed in one of my interviewers because I wasn't direct and to the point. He told me that...with some other criticisms and tips. I should have just left the interview at that point; he obviously wasn't a fan. I mentioned some things in another thread and sort of touched on this. I'll paste that here. I also add, that not being able to articulate your answers can waste words and time. Just stumbling over words and not forming sentences and thoughts correctly/coherently. It happens with nerves. It's just distracting babble with your answer mixed in. A couple of killers are 'like' and 'I think'; just constantly saying one or the other or both.

After finally getting to sit on the other side of the interview table and talking with classmates who are doing the same, a couple of observations I've made:

Ignoring me. For reals, though. If there is more than one interviewer in the room...or a student or an observer, don't just talk to one person. Eye contact with everyone in the room whether they asked the question or not. Admittedly, this particular interviewer is REALLY big on this. I did everything short of stand up and wave my hands around to get one guy to look at me and not just the interviewer. I assume it's just nerves and not poor form.

Nerves. I know you can't do much about it. But if it's distracting (voice fluttering like you're about to cry, nervous tics, etc)...well, I don't know what you need to do to try and overcome it.

Know when to stop talking. Maybe I have ADD or something, but I got bored a few times with long answers. I just sort of stopped listening. I guess it depends on how interesting you are, but maybe look for body language or something so you know when to wrap it up. In particular, the 'tell me about yourself/why you' question. Depending on your approach, those questions overlap. I don't suggest answering it like it's the only question you get and you need to lay everything out on the table. It was closed file, but don't cover your whole application in one question. One guy pretty much went down the list....leadership, volunteering, general academic performance, work experience. That's a little much and went on too long.

Along those same lines, answer the question and don't wander. It kind of goes with the above. Don't go way out of your way to try to bring up something in your application you just want to throw out there. Tying questions back to you and how awesome you are is nice and all, but make sure you actually answer the question asked before venturing there.

You would want to be a dental hygienist if you can't be a dentist?
LOL...
Really now...

Yes, you got a freaking problem with that? You better start respecting the other dental professions before you start spending every day in an office working with them.

Yes, you got a freaking problem with that? You better start respecting the other dental professions before you start spending every day in an office working with them.

Hygiene is a bad ass profession. Easily one of the best jobs that doesn't require a doctorate.

Plus dem hygiene girls are a pretty cool group.