Professional attire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aubieRx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is this exactly? I am supposed to be wearing it to my interview. I just realized that what i was planning on wearing (a pink short sleeved express shirt (modestly cut neckline ) and a silk knee length black GAP skirt) might not be pro. enough.

Does this sound professional enough or is pink toooooo much?

Members don't see this ad.

aubieRx said:
What is this exactly? I am supposed to be wearing it to my interview. I just realized that what i was planning on wearing (a pink short sleeved express shirt (modestly cut neckline ) and a silk knee length black GAP skirt) might not be pro. enough.

Professional... I'd go with a nice business suit. If you do the traditional black or grey, be sure to wear a colorful shirt to stand out.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would someone wear for an interview that says to dress business casual? Would a blue button up top, black pencil skirt, and black boots be appropriate?

Thanks!

Caverject said:
make sure you don't look like you work for an airline.

caverject, your avatar is catchy yet disturbing at the same time :laugh:

I wore a dark gray suit with red v-neck sleeveless shirt underneath. but I kept the suit jacket on the whole time so they don't know that :p besides it would have been too hot to wear a collar shirt for me. But yes.. wear a color that stands out a little.

aubieRx said:

For an interview, I would suggest a business suit if you can afford it. If you buy a basic one in black, (or any dark color like gray or navy) it's a great investment. Whether you get a skirt suit or a pant suit, fit is key. If it doesn't fit correctly get it altered so that it does. You can buy a $400 suit but if it doesn't fit, it won't look very good.

I wouldn't recommend a short sleeved shirt if you won't be wearing a jacket over it. If the suit is out of your budget, I'd suggest a crisp, long-sleeved button down shirt with a dark, knee length pencil skirt or nice slacks. Shoes shouldn't be too high or strappy.

I love pink :) I think it would really pop amidst a sea of dark suits and white collared shirts. PM me if you have any more questions, good luck with your interview!

SoCalGirl83 said:
What would someone wear for an interview that says to dress business casual? Would a blue button up top, black pencil skirt, and black boots be appropriate?

Thanks!

Sounds fine except I'd probably skip the boots and pick a nice pair of heels (conservative). Also, a blazer is a nice touch

hmmm i wouldn't feel at home in a business suit (i've never worn one before in my life) so i think it would be better just to go with what i was going to wear so i feel myself. or perhaps, wear a 3/4 length sleeve button down oxfordy type shirt and black pants???

I feel that as long as i am neat and clean and look like i made an effort to put on something other than daisy dukes and a tube tob or blue jeans and a pink floyd t-shirt i'll be ok. ;)

i'm so excited cause' my interview is tomorrow and i cannot focus on studying for my classes.

The day I interviewed at my 1st school, I was surprised to see how poorly some of the prospective students were dressed. I had the 1st interview group of the day, so in between sections (interview, essay, tour) I saw about 10-15 other interviewees in the waiting room. One girl was carrying a stonewashed denim purse, and was wearing a clean but not crisply ironed blue shirt, khaki-colored pants, and gold leather flats. I consider that unprofessional. If you're not comfortable in a "business suit" (let's be honest, who is?), scrounge around and find a set of "business-y" coordinates at a place like Marshall's, Ross, or TJ Maxx, preferably with blazer, even if you usually shop in Juniors and have to go to Misses or Petites. You'll look more pulled together and it won't cost you more than $100. You're not trying to get a date or a job in fashion design, you're trying to get a seat in pharmacy school. You're going to look kind of dorky for a day, and then you'll move on.
EVERY "this is how college students need to dress for an interview" article that I've read says the following:
>> If you have to ask "can I wear this to an interview", you probably shouldn't wear that to an interview. If you have any questions that you really feel you need to ask, call the admissions office.
>> Guys: SUIT AND TIE. Girls: SKIRT SUIT AND "NUDE" HOSE (I know. Nude pantyhose make me barf, too). In some cases, a pantsuit is OK.
>> Underneath the suit: Guys & Girls - White buttondown shirt is best, baby blue is second-best. Shirts with weird fashion details such as embroidery or zippers are not acceptable. Girls - a "shell" is acceptable.
>> Footwear: Needs to coordinate with the outfit. Guys: dress shoes, not scuffed, better than Skechers. The shoe should not have treads. Girls: mid-heel, closed-toe pumps that are all one color, not scuffed, preferably black. Slingbacks, closed-toe of course, are OK. Open-toed shoes are unacceptable. Stilettos are unacceptable no matter how short you are. The shoe should not have treads.
>> Accessories: Guys & Girls - wear a simple watch. Guys: no earrings or facial or tongue piercings. Girls: no facial or tongue piercings. Small hoops, small drops, or studs may be worn. Jewelry should not be flashy and fashiony, it should be conservative. If you don't have conservative jewelry, borrow some or do without. Guys & Girls: if you have or can borrow a leather briefcase, carry it. Otherwise, a dayplanner or under-the-arm portfolio (leather or damn good fake) will suffice.
>> Fragrances: NONE. Save it for a date.
>> Hair: should not need to be continually brushed away from the face or tucked behind the ear. Stop at the drugstore for some damn barettes, or put it up in a twist before you go. And then, don't be redoing your hair all throughout the day. If it won't go up in a ponytail or twist, style it a different way.

ok i took some of the advice in this thread and have decided to go with the following:

I nixed the short sleeved pink shirt because lets face it, its just too sexy.

I bought a formal looking white long sleeved cardigan and shell (light sweater material) in white from the gap. I am going to pair this with a conservative knee length silk skirt in black. I think pairing black with white always looks formal

I have to wear open toed sandals cause i recently knocked my whole toe nial loose in a sports injury and if i wore closed toes it would come off all the way. So i am wearing those kinds of black slide ins with the large black band that coverse most of the foot (kind of stretchy)