Professional dress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I've heard, Mississippi State and Auburn are the only two vet schools that enforce professional dress code during the lecture years....

It sounds scary from the outside, but at least for girls it is not that bad! What everyone posted above, about girls having a lot of freedom in dressing up, is completely true. Most of the time we're just wearing khakis or other comfy "dress" pants with sweaters, button-up shirts, polos and even "nice t-shirts", like a solid v-neck from Gap or whatever. I'm too tall to bother with heels, so I wear cute Old Navy ballet flats every day... I refuse to be uncomfortable for class!

Guys have it both better and worse: better, because their outfit is always the same thing: button-up, tie, slacks. Probably don't even need to have the lights on to get dressed in the morning. Worse, because well, it's a tie first of all, and second it's HOT in the summer!

You don't get in real trouble if you're breaking the code -- there used to be faculty that would send "friendly reminder" emails. They changed it from being just a student-enforced thing to an official rule now, but really the biggest slack you'll get is from your uppity classmates whispering behind your back about whether or not your skirt is a "mini". Yes, vet school is high school... again.

At this point, heading into my third year clinics, I'm glad I've worn that stuff everyday for the past two years, because I know what's comfy, and I've got a bunch, so I'm ready to look nice for clinics!

Members don't see this ad.