Professional LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PREMEDWOAHS

dare to dream
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a volunteer EMT at my fire department. I asked my captain, a paramedic, to write me a letter of recommendation for DPT school. He asked me what he should include. If someone could tell me good topics for him to cover that would make it a standout let me know, I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a volunteer EMT at my fire department. I asked my captain, a paramedic, to write me a letter of recommendation for DPT school. He asked me what he should include. If someone could tell me good topics for him to cover that would make it a standout let me know, I would appreciate it.
What makes you unique? What are the qualities that your letter writer thinks make you an uncommon and outstanding applicant? As your captain, he should have a very specific knowledge of you as a worker and as a person: use that.

Do you think it would be beneficial to provide him with my personal statement to give him a better idea of my passion for the field, so he has a guideline to support the statements I have made with comments about my professionalism etc with patients?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would look at the individual attributes that PT schools want and ask him to describe you in those areas. For example, they want you to have good communication skills, teamwork, conflict resolution, empathy for patients, ability to learn, potential as a student. Look at LOR forms from several schools and see what specific traits they ask to assess. I would start from there.

Do you think it would be beneficial to provide him with my personal statement to give him a better idea of my passion for the field, so he has a guideline to support the statements I have made with comments about my professionalism etc with patients?
Absolutely!