Scars and Professional Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organic_anagram

Reaction score
I'm about to start DPT school at my first choice program and I'm very excited about it, however, I have a dilemma regarding the whole going shirtless situation. I have significant scarring all over my upper arms, sides, and abdominal area due to stretch marks caused from prolonged use of Prednisone (a steroid) to treat Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis during my early teens. After many years, I've learned to live with it and I'm only mildly self conscious about taking off my shirt in front of my classmates. What I'm unsure of is how to approach this. Should I warn my lab partner(s) right before class? Share my concerns on my class Facebook group? Take off my shirt without saying anything and pretend nothing is there? What would you all consider the most thoughtful approach?

Also, I'm concerned about having to wear short sleeve polos during certain events and classes (required by my program). Does it look unprofessional to have visible scars? I want to contact the department and ask if there are any long sleeve options but I'm also not sure if this is a good idea as I don't want to appear whiny or insecure. I really appreciate any and all advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You: [Takes off shirt] "I have scars secondary to steroid treatment for Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis"
Them: "Do they cause any pain or tenderness that I should know about before I touch you?"
You: "Yes/No/Maybe"

Your classmates will be grateful to be exposed to a unique case history such as yours.

Congratulations on starting school! Good luck!

Regarding long sleeves, I don't think that you will have trouble asking for long sleeve options as they are required to accommodate those that request more modest options due to religious restrictions (you really don't even have to say why). If the vendor doesn't offer long sleeves, you should be allowed to wear a long sleeve undershirt or separate sleeve covers like those used to cover tattoos. However, bear in mind that some employers maynot allow you to wear long sleeves as part of their dress code, so that may be an issue when you begin your clinical rotations.

Reactions: 3 users
I have found that the vast majority of PTs and PT students to be very open-minded and non-judgmental. They may be curious about the condition (curious in a clinical way), and there's your chance to educate them.

Or if you want some levity, you could say "would you like to hear about the time I fought off a lion, and won?"

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with the above, it's a non-issue as far as others are concerned. Your classmates will not be bothered by it. It may be more convenient for you to explain it to the whole class at once just so you don't have to explain it to 50 different people during 50 different labs, but either way everyone will probably not think anything of it after just a couple of lab sessions. As for dress code, I can't imagine there ever being a dress code at a school or a workplace in which scarring that is the result of a medical condition is required to be covered up. If you prefer to have it covered up, almost every university or employer will probably allow you to wear a long-sleeved undershirt. This is typically what is done in the case of tattoos that aren't allowed or religious issues, as was mentioned. Just ask the department, nobody will think you are "whiny or insecure". In fact, I doubt anyone will care any more than if you asked where to go to buy a parking pass. And besides, you have no one to impress now, you're already admitted!

Reactions: 1 user