Professional vs Financial Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

confusedPharm

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I just graduated pharmacy school and I am thinking of transitioning to medicine. I was pushed into this profession by my parents because my father owns and runs a pharmaceutical distribution firm, and in my country to keep such a business running a pharmacy license is needed. The company is far from gigantic right now, but its decent to offer one a high life standard. It certainly is a good starting point and has potential to get much bigger. When I left high school it sounded like a good idea to do pharmacy: live an independent lifestyle from day 1, expand my dad's business, etc.

However, had my dad not owned the company, I would not have went to pharmacy. I feel my heart is much more of a medic's, especially that of an academic physician's as I have a lot of research experience by now. I really hated my pharmacy course, and every day of my life as a student I felt odd being around pharmacy students. Many of my classmates were medical rejects, or did not want to undergo the hectic/hard/long route of becoming a physician. My course was too clinical (very little industrial aspects were covered), and now I feel like I am merely an under-qualified doctor. I have been contemplating lately of following my guts, and become an academic oncologist.

I discussed this with my parents (both are pharmacists), and they've been telling me that I am being naive and over-romanticising the idea of being a medic. Professional success sounds more important to me right now than financial one, but my parents greatly emphasise the importance of the latter. What do you guys think? I would greatly appreciate it if residents/established physicians can tell me about being a medic in real life. If you could do it all over again, would you do medicine again? I am 24 years old by now, so I also want to make sure that starting by 25 would not be too late.
 
It is also worthwhile to note here that I have several startup/research ideas, both scientific/clinical and non-scientific. I was thinking that becoming an academic physician would help me secure the basic funding needed to work on my scientific ideas. My parents however, think that that's another reason why I should stick to running the business and work on my ideas as part of expanding it.
 
It is also worthwhile to note here that I have several startup/research ideas, both scientific/clinical and non-scientific. I was thinking that becoming an academic physician would help me secure the basic funding needed to work on my scientific ideas. My parents however, think that that's another reason why I should stick to running the business and work on my ideas as part of expanding it.
A couple questions...
Are you in the US? I get the impression you aren't from some of your language choices, so advice could vary depending on where you are.
Do you have a US bachelor's degree?
If you close your eyes and think about where you are in 5 years, where is it? If it's still working as a student in medicine, perhaps you should go further down this road. But if you're tired of school and can only picture downtime with your family, possibly married or settling down, then perhaps switching careers isn't the best.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, I am originally from the Middle East and finished my pharmacy degree in the UK. My top destination should I do medicine would be in the US or Canada, but I would also apply to Australia and the UK. I don't mind being in school for the next 5 years, as long as I end up in a career of a biotech entrepreneur (namely, in immunotherapy). I imagine having the clinical experience of a practicing physician would be a massive plus, but I am not sure henceforth posting this thread.
 
No, I am originally from the Middle East and finished my pharmacy degree in the UK. My top destination should I do medicine would be in the US or Canada, but I would also apply to Australia and the UK. I don't mind being in school for the next 5 years, as long as I end up in a career of a biotech entrepreneur (namely, in immunotherapy). I imagine having the clinical experience of a practicing physician would be a massive plus, but I am not sure henceforth posting this thread.
Well just so you know, you cannot matriculate to a US medical school without a bachelor's degree from the US. So that means a lot more than just 4-5 years until you're a physician.
 
Sounds like your parents are concerned about the continuity of the family business. Is there someone else in the family who would be able to take over the business if you bail?

Not the only consideration certainly, but something to factor in...
 
@backside_attack I did not know that; thanks a lot! I just checked the other countries though and they all have graduate entry MD programs that accept UK degrees.
@DokterMom yes that's exactly the case here. My brother wants to become a pharmacist and could take over, but my parents are concerned because he is significantly less motivated. One other main concern they have is that my sister, who is a paediatrician in the US currently doing her fellowship in neonatology, complains a lot about the lifestyle of medics.
 
Hello,

I just graduated pharmacy school and I am thinking of transitioning to medicine. I was pushed into this profession by my parents because my father owns and runs a pharmaceutical distribution firm, and in my country to keep such a business running a pharmacy license is needed. The company is far from gigantic right now, but its decent to offer one a high life standard. It certainly is a good starting point and has potential to get much bigger. When I left high school it sounded like a good idea to do pharmacy: live an independent lifestyle from day 1, expand my dad's business, etc.

However, had my dad not owned the company, I would not have went to pharmacy. I feel my heart is much more of a medic's, especially that of an academic physician's as I have a lot of research experience by now. I really hated my pharmacy course, and every day of my life as a student I felt odd being around pharmacy students. Many of my classmates were medical rejects, or did not want to undergo the hectic/hard/long route of becoming a physician. My course was too clinical (very little industrial aspects were covered), and now I feel like I am merely an under-qualified doctor. I have been contemplating lately of following my guts, and become an academic oncologist.

I discussed this with my parents (both are pharmacists), and they've been telling me that I am being naive and over-romanticising the idea of being a medic. Professional success sounds more important to me right now than financial one, but my parents greatly emphasise the importance of the latter. What do you guys think? I would greatly appreciate it if residents/established physicians can tell me about being a medic in real life. If you could do it all over again, would you do medicine again? I am 24 years old by now, so I also want to make sure that starting by 25 would not be too late.

You're old enough to vote, drink, drive, smoke, work, pay taxes and fight and die for your country. You're thus old enough to tell your parents "it's my life, so I'll take this path".

BTW, it's doctor, not medic. This is a medic:
images
 
Hello,

I just graduated pharmacy school and I am thinking of transitioning to medicine. I was pushed into this profession by my parents because my father owns and runs a pharmaceutical distribution firm, and in my country to keep such a business running a pharmacy license is needed. The company is far from gigantic right now, but its decent to offer one a high life standard. It certainly is a good starting point and has potential to get much bigger. When I left high school it sounded like a good idea to do pharmacy: live an independent lifestyle from day 1, expand my dad's business, etc.

However, had my dad not owned the company, I would not have went to pharmacy. I feel my heart is much more of a medic's, especially that of an academic physician's as I have a lot of research experience by now. I really hated my pharmacy course, and every day of my life as a student I felt odd being around pharmacy students. Many of my classmates were medical rejects, or did not want to undergo the hectic/hard/long route of becoming a physician. My course was too clinical (very little industrial aspects were covered), and now I feel like I am merely an under-qualified doctor. I have been contemplating lately of following my guts, and become an academic oncologist.

I discussed this with my parents (both are pharmacists), and they've been telling me that I am being naive and over-romanticising the idea of being a medic. Professional success sounds more important to me right now than financial one, but my parents greatly emphasise the importance of the latter. What do you guys think? I would greatly appreciate it if residents/established physicians can tell me about being a medic in real life. If you could do it all over again, would you do medicine again? I am 24 years old by now, so I also want to make sure that starting by 25 would not be too late.
Could your parents company not simply hire a pharmacist with the correct licensing, or one with the ability to obtain the correct licensing?
 
I think you and your parents are both right: you did not go into pharmacy for the right reasons, and you are also over-romanticizing medicine. That being said, no one else can tell you what's in your heart. If you are serious about pursuing a medical career, then you need to have a clear purpose/goal, and you need to commit yourself to doing what is necessary to get there. Start by figuring out exactly what job description you hope to have and finding out exactly what is necessary to get there. Do the research so you can plan out how you will get into (and through) medical school and residency. Then sit down with your parents and explain what you will be doing to them. But remember: you need to know what you want out of life and be able to convince yourself of that before you can convince them of anything. Right now you are still on the fence and wishy-washy about where you hope to end up. You can't really blame your parents for being skeptical of your aspirations when you're not totally convinced of them yourself yet.
 
@RogueScholar its too much of a position of power; the responsible pharmacist basically has the ultimate technical say on everything in the company
@QofQuimica than you very much for your insight
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad