Professionalism?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my flu shot but it's bull**** that med students and doctors have to comply with some dip**** administrator's arbitrary decisions "or else."

SMH.

They're not forcing you to get the flu shot because they feel like it. It's not arbitrary. You will more than likely be in contact with immunocompromised/suppressed patients who cannot get the vaccine themselves. Herd immunity, heard of it? YOU might be able to get over the flu, but people DIE each year from the flu, especially a couple years ago when there was the really bad strain. It's not just a cold with some body aches. Getting a flu shot also decreases the severity of the flu if you happen to get it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Its not arbitrary.

Any hospital that accepts Medicare is required to post vaccination rates of its employees as part of CMS' PQRS requirements or face stiff fines. It is believed that (in the future) hospitals that do not report a > 90% compliance rate will be fined or lose Medicare funding.

Reactions: 3 users
Its not arbitrary.

Any hospital that accepts Medicare is required to post vaccination rates of its employees as part of CMS' PQRS requirements or face stiff fines. It is believed that (in the future) hospitals that do not report a > 90% compliance rate will be fined or lose Medicare funding.
My hospital isn't to the termination stage, but they require you to wear a mask at all times if you don't get the flu shot.

I wish they had a vaccine to many other things. Think about how many antibiotics we could avoid.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is this thing called "filtering" for your email. Build your filter based off of keywords in the subject line, senders, or body text and route it to a folder that it not your inbox. It's not novel and if your webmail interface doesn't have it, start using a third party client like Thunderbird. There is no reason to accept the extremely poor webmail interfaces.

It sucks though because it's for campus events and I can't really think of a way to filter out the crap but leave stuff I'd be interested in.

I don't know why you wouldn't want the flu shot as a doc or anyone in the medical world. The flu blows and I'm completely fine with private institutions setting their own requirements for workers. If these requirements are too stringent, then they won't be able to fill all their positions and the issue will take care of itself.

It sucks though because it's for campus events and I can't really think of a way to filter out the crap but leave stuff I'd be interested in.

Well dude, I suppose you'll have to use that filter called your brain, because you've just told me there's tons of crap but also stuff that you want to read. Therefore, there are not reasons to be missing emails from the school telling you "thou shalt do this" if you're going to be digging through that inbox to find the cool things to go to.

Interesting that in a thread titled, "Professionalism", users can't stop themselves from insulting each other.

Please stop it. In case you haven't read it, there is a new Sticky in this forum reminding users to remain civil and refrain from insulting each other. Off topic social threads will be closed or moved to The Lounge. Users creating cliques and making others feel uncomfortable will receive administrative action against their account.

Reactions: 2 users
My hospital isn't to the termination stage, but they require you to wear a mask at all times if you don't get the flu shot.

I wish they had a vaccine to many other things. Think about how many antibiotics we could avoid.
This is what they do at UCSF. No flu shot? Then you wear a mask at all times.

Interesting that in a thread titled, "Professionalism", users can't stop themselves from insulting each other.

Please stop it. In case you haven't read it, there is a new Sticky in this forum reminding users to remain civil and refrain from insulting each other. Off topic social threads will be closed or moved to The Lounge. Users creating cliques and making others feel uncomfortable will receive administrative action against their account.
:eek: - Why?!!?

Once you've put someone on ECMO for the flu...you'll be glad for that vaccine!

This. The people who refuse a flu shot should be given a tour of the ICU to see the flu patients on ECMO.

Joking obviously, but I think that would convert a lot of people.

:eek: - Why?!!?
Because the attitudes and comments in this forum have gotten out of hand.

The off topic comments and threads, the cliquishness, the insults are all TOS violations and are alienating other users.

I have no interest in allowing this forum to become like Pre-Allo which has a somewhat deserved vile reputation amongst pre-med students and their advisors because of the treatment of users who are perceived to be outside the "cool kids club".

Reactions: 8 users
This. The people who refuse a flu shot should be given a tour of the ICU to see the flu patients on ECMO.

Joking obviously, but I think that would convert a lot of people.
They're also old and/or immunocompromised.

Nope not at all.

The last person I cannulated on ECMO was a 28 year old woman with H1N1

H1N1 is a little different than your usual flu. Also there was no vaccine for that strain before that outbreak, I believe.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My point is severe flu is not limited to the elderly/immunocompromised. It actually tends to hit young people pretty hard.
Right, but aren't we talking about receiving the flu shot and its prevention of getting the flu or giving it to others? The H1N1 strain wasn't in the usual flu vaccine.

Yep. My reportedly healthy great grandmother died of the flu at age 28.
But that era was quite different than wasn't it? People were dying of many preventable diseases that just don't happen now - vaccine or not. Right?

Also, I think the reason people get the other vaccines bc those are considered by the public to be "real" diseases: Polio, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Tetanus, Diptheria, etc. I've never had the flu, so I don't know what it's like. I just know the symptom list.

But that era was quite different than wasn't it? People were dying of many preventable diseases that just don't happen now - vaccine or not. Right?

True but the point is that young people can, and do, die from the flu. Its not just something that kills the elderly and infirm. That doesn't matter if is 2014 or 1918. Here's a blog written by one of my fellowship attendings talking about modern day flu killing young people: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2014/01/20/more-examples-of-how-influenza-still-kills/

Also, I think the reason people get the other vaccines bc those are considered by the public to be "real" diseases: Polio, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Tetanus, Diptheria, etc. I've never had the flu, so I don't know what it's like. I just know the symptom list.

I would venture that anyone under the age of 60 doesn't consider those to be "real diseases" because they've never seen it. My mother was scared of Polio because she had classmates who got it. How many 30 year olds have ever seen Polio, or Measles, Diptheria? This is why the vaccine rate is falling - lots of hipsters with no experience and a smug self-absorption thinking that their Google School of Medicine degree affords them enough knowledge.

Reactions: 4 users

You've never had those other diseases either.

You've never had those other diseases either.
Yes, but you can easily Google those pictures and see patients afflicted by them. Many of those diseases are considered old diseases not worth dying from hence worth vaccinating against. The flu is mundane and you have to keep getting shots every year - hence the pushback.

Yes, but you can easily Google those pictures and see patients afflicted by them. Many of those diseases are considered old diseases not worth dying from hence worth vaccinating against. The flu is mundane and you have to keep getting shots every year - hence the pushback.

The fact that the flu is "mundane" makes it even less "worth" dying from. I agree that most laypeople aren't really aware of how serious the flu can be, but there are news articles every year about hospitals being at their capacity for ECMO because of flu.

The fact that the flu is "mundane" makes it even less "worth" dying from. I agree that most laypeople aren't really aware of how serious the flu can be, but there are news articles every year about hospitals being at their capacity for ECMO because of flu.

I agree. However, the "mundane" nature of the flu is what keeps it from being taken seriously. Hence, why you never see the excuse of polio or measles as a work excuse, vs the flu.

SMH.

They're not forcing you to get the flu shot because they feel like it. It's not arbitrary. You will more than likely be in contact with immunocompromised/suppressed patients who cannot get the vaccine themselves. Herd immunity, heard of it? YOU might be able to get over the flu, but people DIE each year from the flu, especially a couple years ago when there was the really bad strain. It's not just a cold with some body aches. Getting a flu shot also decreases the severity of the flu if you happen to get it.
I'm reasonably certain that my OSCE standardized patient doesn't have any major immunocompromised status.

Also, most immunocompromised patients can still receive the flu vaccine. If I do have a patient that is too immunocompromised to benefit from a flu vaccination, I'd wager that they'd likely be in protective isolation anyways.
And I'm sure he laughed in your face.

No, they don't have any sense of humor.

Last edited:
The other problem that makes flu seem mundane is that the lay public labels every mild viral respiratory or GI illness the "flu" or "stomach flu"
High morbidity and low mortality makes most strains of influenza seem mundane.

I've had other patients who weren't H1N1. The point was that the flu is not trivial.

The vaccine varies year to year, based on epidemiologic attempts to predict the likely strains. Its very plausible (likely even) that the next aggressive strain that pops up will be covered by that years vaccine.
I thought that most flu pandemics were caused by major antigenic shifts that were essentially unpreventable from a vaccination standpoint? I think that the annual vaccines really only accommodate the comparatively minor changes in antigenic drifts.

High morbidity and low mortality makes most strains of influenza seem mundane.

Of course, it doesn't seem mundane when you're lying in bed for a week wanting to die because you feel so poorly.

True, but then people forget.

Yes, they do, which I will never understand. I suppose it's too far of a stretch to suggest that people think ahead to the fact about whether their job pays them sick days or whether they go without wages if they take off because they feel like crap.

Yes, they do, which I will never understand. I suppose it's too far of a stretch to suggest that people think ahead to the fact about whether their job pays them sick days or whether they go without wages if they take off because they feel like crap.
The lost wages associated with alcohol hangovers in the United States accounts for $148 billion in lost wages annually. Most of that cost is incurred by light to moderate drinkers (i.e. non-alcoholics).

The lost wages associated with alcohol hangovers in the United States accounts for $148 billion in lost wages annually. Most of that cost is incurred by light to moderate drinkers (i.e. non-alcoholics).
Imbibing alcohol is a choice.

Imbibing alcohol is a choice.
I was referring to redpanda's comment: "I suppose it's too far of a stretch to suggest that people think ahead to the fact about whether their job pays them sick days or whether they go without wages if they take off because they feel like crap."

Yep. My reportedly healthy great grandmother died of the flu at age 28.

Same with my great-grandmother, aged 28 and healthy. The flu is not to be trifled with. Austin has had several deaths to H1N1 (swine) each year for the past ten years or so, with an outbreak in 2009 taking the lives of a couple of children. I've had the flu twice (bird) when I was 36 and when I was 51-- both times ten days of bed-ridden brutality.

:shrug:

By "social outings" I mean like bars and drinking and stuff. Aka things that you wouldn't want your patients to see should not be posted on social media.

Especially if you are friends with patients on Facebook! Wait, is that unprofessional?? What if they add me ... I don't want to be rude and ignore the friend request

That's right, because real alcoholics go to work hungover!

Especially if you are friends with patients on Facebook! Wait, is that unprofessional?? What if they add me ... I don't want to be rude and ignore the friend request
It's not rude to simply tell them that your Facebook personal account is just for family and friends. You can create a professional Facebook account which they can like. There's no need to be Facebook friends with patients.

Reactions: 4 users
It's not rude to simply tell them that your Facebook personal account is just for family and friends. You can create a professional Facebook account which they can like. There's no need to be Facebook friends with patients.

One of the reasons I deactivated my FB was because of creepy patient friend requests and messages, I guess I could have made a second account or limited whats available for everyone thats not a friend to see, but I got frustrated and just shut the whole thing down

Yeah I never friend patients either. I have mostly professional twitter account but that is it

What do you post on a professional twitter? Articles relevant to your specialty? Updates on your career?

What do you post on a professional twitter? Articles relevant to your specialty? Updates on your career?
I have one as well and post a variety of links to interesting research or last month posted a notice that a local radiology facility was doing free mammograms for the month of October.

Some are just nuts with it though. I went to a conference and my newsfeed was blowing up because people felt the need to tweet every little damn thing that they saw or heard at the conference.

Reactions: 1 users
I have one as well and post a variety of links to interesting research or last month posted a notice that a local radiology facility was doing free mammograms for the month of October.

Some are just nuts with it though. I went to a conference and my newsfeed was blowing up because people felt the need to tweet every little damn thing that they saw or heard at the conference.

the conf I went to a few months ago had an associated hashtag, and my feeds were flooded with pix of dumb crap. "Omg look at my plate of BBQ!!!! (Insert hashtag here)"

SMH.

This annoys me to no end. Stop drinking the kool aid. There are those who would have you believe that refusing the flu shot is as idiotic as refusing vaccines for your children because they cause autism.

The flu shot is total bull**** for young healthy people. Do not be bullied into letting them inject you with that ****. It's your body. Stand up for yourself and protect your right to decide what goes in it. The flu shot can have some nasty side effects, which I have experienced, and I will never take it again. If you want me to wear a mask, so be it.

This annoys me to no end. Stop drinking the kool aid. There are those who would have you believe that refusing the flu shot is as idiotic as refusing vaccines for your children because they cause autism.

The flu shot is total bull**** for young healthy people. Do not be bullied into letting them inject you with that ****. It's your body. Stand up for yourself and protect your right to decide what goes in it. The flu shot can have some nasty side effects, which I have experienced, and I will never take it again. If you want me to wear a mask, so be it.
Wanna elaborate on those side effects?

Wanna elaborate on those side effects?

Within 10 minutes after the injection I developed a euphoric like state that lasted approximately 2 hours. It was pretty terrifying as I didn't know what was going to happen. I couldn't concentrate, had difficulty walking, felt light-headed, etc. The degree of these effects was significant -- it's not like I felt a little tipsy. I was completely messed up. I came down to my baseline but continued to feel lethargic for months. The following year I was diagnosed with narcolepsy. I know the association is controversial, and there's no way I can prove causation, but it's a fact worth mentioning. Regardless, I would refuse the injection again solely based on the immediate reaction I experienced.

Within 10 minutes after the injection I developed a euphoric like state that lasted approximately 2 hours. It was pretty terrifying as I didn't know what was going to happen. I couldn't concentrate, had difficulty walking, felt light-headed, etc. The degree of these effects was significant -- it's not like I felt a little tipsy. I was completely messed up. I came down to my baseline but continued to feel lethargic for months. The following year I was diagnosed with narcolepsy. I know the association is controversial, and there's no way I can prove causation, but it's a fact worth mentioning. Regardless, I would refuse the injection again solely based on the immediate reaction I experienced.
Only slightly.

Because that's not as ridiculous as the autism thing? :rolleyes: I'm not doubting that you had those symptoms, but as a resident I'm sure you know that pretty much everything has side effects. There are minor and major side effects, but the benefits far outweigh the risks. Your eventual diagnosis with narcolepsy could have been entirely coincidental and unrelated to the flu shot, just like autism and MMR. And even if what you experienced was a verified side effect of the vaccine, how often does that occur? I'm sorry for your n=1 experience, and maybe you'll never get the vaccine again for fear of the same thing happening, but I really hope you don't counsel people against the vaccine for this reason. That's pretty similar to Jenny McCarthy telling people not to get the MMR because her kid got the MMR and also happened to be diagnosed with autism.

I'll keep drinking the kool-aid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I never get the flu shot, until I started clinicals in med school. It's not that bad, except I feel sick the next day haha

those are all the AMA kiss-ass types, that were best buddies with the administrative staff when they were in school

Reactions: 1 user
I enjoy the social media to professional world interaction because it allows me to see who is a kiss-ass without having to interact with them. If every post they have looks like a press release, then I'm pretty confident that's someone I don't want to be associated with. Easy filtering for peers

those are all the AMA kiss-ass types, that were best buddies with the administrative staff when they were in school
The best ones are the medical students who have Twitter accounts that have "followers" from big name doctors or those who are heavily involved in undergraduate and graduate medical education. Inflates their already huge egos even further.

They're almost always involved in "health policy" or "public policy" a.k.a. I won't be practicing medicine but going into an administrative position so I can tell other doctors how to practice.

The best ones are the medical students who have Twitter accounts that have "followers" from big name doctors or those who are heavily involved in undergraduate and graduate medical education. Inflates their already huge egos even further.

They're almost always involved in "health policy" or "public policy" a.k.a. I won't be practicing medicine but going into an administrative position so I can tell other doctors how to practice.

yes and they will like every single thing your med school ever puts on facebook. it's so easy to tell these people apart it's like shooting fish in a barrel. they have an addiction to sucking up