Professionalism?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Kaustikos was under my care from xx/xx/xxxx to xx/xx/xxxx and may return to work on yy/yy/yyyy.

Signed,
FancyMyLotus

"unprofessionalism " for dayz

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Most work/school notes I've written don't include a reason. I suppose she could put dental abscess? Emergent root canal?

lol I hoped people got the 3 levels I was referring to(I don't actually think this is unprofessional)

1st: that he's getting a note to go to other stuff
2nd: he's getting a note for something he doesn't have
3rd: he's getting that note for something he doesn't have from someone he has a personal relationship with

Last edited:
lol I hoped people got the 3 levels I was referring to(I don't actually think this is unprofessional)

3rd: he's getting that note for something he doesn't have from someone he has a person relationship with

Hmmm.

WELL. My friends and I never *ever* wrote excuse notes for each other.

:D :D :D

Most work/school notes I've written don't include a reason. I suppose she could put dental abscess? Emergent root canal?

Lol, somehow "Kaustikos had a dental emergency in New York" probably wouldn't go over so well.

Then again, they can't argue with it. Bite me, admins. Chomp ><

MUST.....RESIST....OBVIOUS.....ORAL.....JOKES......

Lol, somehow "Kaustikos had a dental emergency in New York" probably wouldn't go over so well.

Then again, they can't argue with it. Bite me, admins. Chomp ><
Well dental plans have such narrow networks these days. :p

And I still disagree. Given the limited time given to us to do interviews and the fact that we're at the mercy of going to any interview invites we get, it seems rather neglectful and ignorant to make these rules at this point in time. If the person scheduled things themselves and put that core during interview season and was like "oops" then I can see where you can argue otherwise, but I know that we don't always get the schedule we want and sometimes **** happens. Sometimes you're ultimately stuck doing a core rotation during interview season. I've yet to see these people doing core rotations during that time and the staff they round with having an issue... but god forbid the admins catch it and it's doomsday with the 'unprofessional' demeanor and "You don't choose your schedule as a doctor how can you expect it to be okay now" as if we schedule interviews on a daily basis for our careers without any concern to our priorities.
I'm not saying it's okay to do 15 interviews/month.. I'm saying it's not unprofessional to take a day off to do so. In the end; I'd take a hit on professionalism to go on an interview. In the end; I'd fork the cash over and go to a "doctor" and get a "note" saying I was sick so I could do so. Is that unprofessional? Maybe. But I won't for a second let school try to restrict me from doing the right thing when we ultimately aren't physicians yet. We're trying to become one. And to corner us with these threats about "missing a day" for interviews just plays into the admins power trips and lack of understanding/empathy on the part of students. ESPECIALLY now when residency spots aren't exactly being handed out so freely.
So, if you say it's conduct that can be punished because they "broke the rules", fine. That's fine. But it's not unprofessional. And people do it all the time... even in our careers. Breaking the rule doesn't automatically make you a bad person. When you find out a loved one is going to the ER/Surgery and might not make it; tell me how wrong you are to get in your car and get there asap "breaking the speed limit" to get there? Yes, I broke the rule. Now call me unprofessional.
I can totally hear a medical school administrator doing that. They truly have a knack for making a ****-storm out of something when the staff and faculty don't care. Any wonder MS-4s are so happy to GTFO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tended to not be as nice in my course evaluations (putting it very mildly). They were anonymized (only check was to see that you filled one out and submitted online), so we were all free to say whatever we wanted.

I don't know. To me, "sign in under your unique account ID and enter these evaluations" does not not scream confidential or anonymous regardless of what I was told several times in cookie cutter emails.

I don't know. To me, "sign in under your unique account ID and enter these evaluations" does not not scream confidential or anonymous regardless of what I was told several times in cookie cutter emails.
The software anonymizes it to where your ID and name are taken off and given to the professor in aggregate, long after he has submitted the grade.

3. Posting things to the class fb page bemoaning the burden of having an unrelated very chill class the morning prior to an exam. "Let's boycott!"
4. Asking for time off in core clinical rotations for things which are clearly unreasonable (birthday parties, sibling's play, residency interview - already informed of the policy of no-time-for-interviews long prior)

I wouldn't call 3 unprofessional. Possibly stupid, but not unprofessional.

4. That school needs to EABOD. Seriously, they should be doing everything possible to help their students match, and interviews are much more important than core rotations where, in the grand scheme of things, you stand around with your thumb up your backside until the resident tells you to go home for the day.

I don't get the texting with the ringer on thing. As always, when I mention these things, they aren't single occurrences b/c I understand everyone makes mistakes. There are multiple people in my class that have had their phone go off 5+ times in lecture. I seriously don't know if there's hearing loss at play or they're just so stupid they can't recognize that your phone going off during a lecture isn't a normal behavior.

Seriously, put the damn phone on vibrate or silent.

Me too. Especially as a med student, unless there is an emergency, there is no need for a phone call/text at working hours that can't wait for a while....

The best advice I can give is take a week off from everything. And play the 2048 game. Once you beat it you won't have any reason to use your phone. Cancel your plan and then you will be free!

Seriously, put the damn phone on vibrate or silent.

I've also still never understood why phone companies don't make two levels of vibrate intensity. When a smartphone vibrates, everyone in 5-10 feet can hear it. Why not have a very low vibrate option where only the person with it in their pocket would be able to tell? Plus it would save battery as vibrating eats up a ton of phones' battery levels.

I've also still never understood why phone companies don't make two levels of vibrate intensity. When a smartphone vibrates, everyone in 5-10 feet can hear it. Why not have a very low vibrate option where only the person with it in their pocket would be able to tell? Plus it would save battery as vibrating eats up a ton of phones' battery levels.

Marketing. "Omg what kind of phon is dat?!"

I didn't get my flu vaccine in time. My school cited me for lack of professionalism.

Reactions: 1 users

3rd: he's getting that note for something he doesn't have from someone he has a personal relationship with

They told me I had to be on my deathbed to miss IM during 3rd year. Like, even if I had food poisoning and was puking every 4 hours, they still wanted people coming in. The attendings were like "no, go home!" but the admins were like "Uh...why did you go home?"

I've gone 100% silent with my phone. No sound for texts, emails, or phone calls.

I love it.

Unfortunately when I finish my research years and go back to clinical residency I will have to turn the sounds back on :(

Call me an dingus... but if it's an emergency, then tell me. Otherwise, there's no reason to get ****ty for me not getting back to you until the end of the day or when I finally have a break.
Also - my phone's turned off a lot of times because I don't want to deal w/ charging it in the evening/afternoon when I can FINALLY use my phone.

If you root a smart phone (yes, I know), some roms actually let you do just that. It's sometimes phone specific but it more boils down to having a phone that's within a year old. I have mine on low-vib because of what you said.

I didn't get my flu vaccine in time. My school cited me for lack of professionalism.

I'm not saying it happens to everyone; but there's a surgeon who was reprimanded severely for doing that. She wasn't mean by any standards, she just didn't appreciate the policy and how threatening they were about it. So, they don't stop harping about it after med school.

LOL! In that video above, he actually cites that people who turned in their vaccinations were less likely to have professionalism issues later in medical school.
So what happens now? Does this go in your MSPE?
Usually not. Only when it's a trend/pattern of unprofessional behavior.

Call me an dingus... but if it's an emergency, then tell me. Otherwise, there's no reason to get ****ty for me not getting back to you until the end of the day or when I finally have a break.
Also - my phone's turned off a lot of times because I don't want to deal w/ charging it in the evening/afternoon when I can FINALLY use my phone.
This must totally be a cultural difference. At my hospital, we use a lot of group texting for group communication, whether I'm on medicine or surgery.

Eg, surgery chief texts out to run list at 1600.
Group text about a postop admission.
Medicine attending wants update on scan results.
Medicine co intern is in clinic and I'm cross covering his patient...

HIPAA issues aside (and yes, I've begged the hospital to purchase a hipaa appropriate solution; no we don't have text paging, just callback number paging), you gotta either have a strong vibrate or a ringtone on if you want to hear the notifications, especially on the telemetry floor. To do otherwise would be really disconnected from the team.

They told me I had to be on my deathbed to miss IM during 3rd year. Like, even if I had food poisoning and was puking every 4 hours, they still wanted people coming in. The attendings were like "no, go home!" but the admins were like "Uh...why did you go home?"

If you root a smart phone (yes, I know), some roms actually let you do just that. It's sometimes phone specific but it more boils down to having a phone that's within a year old. I have mine on low-vib because of what you said.

I'm not saying it happens to everyone; but there's a surgeon who was reprimanded severely for doing that. She wasn't mean by any standards, she just didn't appreciate the policy and how threatening they were about it. So, they don't stop harping about it after med school.

rooted my first android phone and had 3-4 different roms on it, idk it just got annoying when they had an error so I'm sticking with vanilla. seems like it would be so easy for them to code one in and would be so useful

This must totally be a cultural difference. At my hospital, we use a lot of group texting for group communication, whether I'm on medicine or surgery.

Eg, surgery chief texts out to run list at 1600.
Group text about a postop admission.
Medicine attending wants update on scan results.
Medicine co intern is in clinic and I'm cross covering his patient...

HIPAA issues aside (and yes, I've begged the hospital to purchase a hipaa appropriate solution; no we don't have text paging, just callback number paging), you gotta either have a strong vibrate or a ringtone on if you want to hear the notifications, especially on the telemetry floor. To do otherwise would be really disconnected from the team.
Agreed. At my school, group texting is used almost all the time by the teams and it makes things easier. But when I'm rotating somewhere and they won't include me in the group text (or even give me access to their team list because it's "too much work"), then I just silence my phone and use my pager.
The rotations that do include me are nice. I'm not asking they text me personally, but it's nice to be included in the conversation so I know what's up.

rooted my first android phone and had 3-4 different roms on it, idk it just got annoying when they had an error so I'm sticking with vanilla. seems like it would be so easy for them to code one in and would be so useful
True. I hope it eventually makes it as well. I'm just happy there are options for the time being.

Did you get a billion emails about it and ignored them? THAT's what's unprofessional.
TBH, I get like a half dozen worthless med school emails a day. It's not hard to miss an e-mail when you're used to clicking delete or whatever.

FYI, the Galaxy S4 stock ROM has the ability to adjust vibration intensity, as does the S5. Stop using poverty phones.

TBH, I get like a half dozen worthless med school emails a day. It's not hard to miss an e-mail when you're used to clicking delete or whatever.

FYI, the Galaxy S4 stock ROM has the ability to adjust vibration intensity, as does the S5. Stop using poverty phones.

One email, yes it's easy to miss. My school emailed profusely about the flu shots and provided us with places to get it for free, including a flu shot clinic for a few days at the school. And yet there were still people who didn't have their flu shot. There's no excuse for that.

One email, yes it's easy to miss. My school emailed profusely about the flu shots and provided us with places to get it for free, including a flu shot clinic for a few days at the school. And yet there were still people who didn't have their flu shot. There's no excuse for that.

sorry, not interested in getting autism and mercury poisoning

Reactions: 4 users
I had a patient who refused the flu shot because he thought terrorists were going to use them as WMDs. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
So he just refuses all shots in general? Or just the flu shot?

Just the flu. He agreed to tdap though. Because that one's safe apparently. At least he was original!
So influenza is a possible vehicle for bioterrorism but tetanus/diptheria/pertussis isn't? I'm guessing he was elderly.

6? Dude I get probably 150 emails a day from my school email. Idiots use the class lists to advertise about every single student event. I don't see how going thru 6 emails a day would be difficult.

Did you get a billion emails about it and ignored them? THAT's what's unprofessional.
Of the 18 billion e-mails that my school sent me last Tuesday, approximately 428 of them were about getting the flu shot.

By that logic, I should also be cited for lack of professionalism if don't comply with a school e-mail telling me: "Wednesday is Hat Day and you must wear a hat".

sorry, not interested in getting autism and mercury poisoning
That's actually almost verbatim what I told the honor council member who contacted me afterwards.

Ridiculous.. I thought most hospitals allowed you to sign declinations though?

6? Dude I get probably 150 emails a day from my school email. Idiots use the class lists to advertise about every single student event. I don't see how going thru 6 emails a day would be difficult.

There is this thing called "filtering" for your email. Build your filter based off of keywords in the subject line, senders, or body text and route it to a folder that it not your inbox. It's not novel and if your webmail interface doesn't have it, start using a third party client like Thunderbird. There is no reason to accept the extremely poor webmail interfaces.

Of the 18 billion e-mails that my school sent me last Tuesday, approximately 428 of them were about getting the flu shot.

By that logic, I should also be cited for lack of professionalism if don't comply with a school e-mail telling me: "Wednesday is Hat Day and you must wear a hat".

If you get school emails telling you to get a flu shot, then you comply and get a flu shot. If you get school emails telling you about a mandatory event (scheduling meetings, etc) then you go to those events. I would really hope that at this point you know the difference between the importance of a flu shot and "hat day."

That's actually almost verbatim what I told the honor council member who contacted me afterwards.

And I'm sure he laughed in your face.

No. Hospitals are actually moving towards mandatory vaccination for all workers unless there is a documented allergy or other medical reason for refusal. The hospital system here will require all workers to have the flu shot next year or face termination.

Reactions: 3 users
Not all.

Here is the FB status update today from an attending surgeon friend at a large midwestern clinic:

"So, my employer is pushing the flu vaccine on us and threatening termination if we don't. I said, so be it. I am NOT taking it. Not after the reaction I had to it. They still are trying to push it on me."

Not all.

Here is the FB status update today from an attending surgeon friend at a large midwestern clinic:

"So, my employer is pushing the flu vaccine on us and threatening termination if we don't. I said, so be it. I am NOT taking it. Not after the reaction I had to it. They still are trying to push it on me."

Did he have an actual reaction or was the injection site just sore and red for a few days?

The lady who gave me my flu shot this year was particularly aggressive and shoved the needle in all the way to the hub. I couldn't sleep on that arm for almost a week.

I've heard a few doctors giving stupid reasons for refusing the flu shot for themselves..."my natural immunity is better," "I don't want Guillan-Barre," "I don't need a foreign substance injected in me every year" etc. Yet I'm sure they got all their other shots with no questions asked, and I'm sure their children are up to date as well. It's interesting how the flu shot causes such an uproar compared to the other shots and annual TB tests that people more willingly comply with.

Reactions: 1 users
Did he have an actual reaction or was the injection site just sore and red for a few days?

I'm not sure what her reaction was; lots of people get fever and malaise, as well as arm soreness after the shot. We got off topic and started talking about holiday travel, so I didn't get a chance to ask.

The lady who gave me my flu shot this year was particularly aggressive and shoved the needle in all the way to the hub. I couldn't sleep on that arm for almost a week.

Yuk. Mine was slightly sore if I poked it for a couple of days.

I've heard a few doctors giving stupid reasons for refusing the flu shot for themselves..."my natural immunity is better," "I don't want Guillan-Barre," "I don't need a foreign substance injected in me every year" etc. Yet I'm sure they got all their other shots with no questions asked, and I'm sure their children are up to date as well. It's interesting how the flu shot causes such an uproar compared to the other shots and annual TB tests that people more willingly comply with.

Absolutely. Being a physician doesn't make one immune to less than critical thinking. I'd like to mandate it for my employees given the immunosuppressed patients in our office but these girls would suddenly become civil libertarians if I did.

Reactions: 5 users

I got my flu shot but it's bull**** that med students and doctors have to comply with some dip**** administrator's arbitrary decisions "or else."