Professionalism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

James Sacket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can an act such as insulting another person's financial status be brought before the committee, assuming the person has not gotten into med school but has a conditional acceptance in hand?
Personally, I was amazed to hear the "story", thinking how someone would treat patients from all walks of life if she could call her classmate names because of socioecon status.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You clearly don't know much about this situation, so I'd avoid giving advice at all other than suggesting that this student seeking help should sack up and deal with it. It sounds like the classmate is a serious douche, but there are plenty of douchey people in medicine. If taking some flack for her financial status is a problem for this girl, she is not going to have a very fun time in this field. Get her to stand up for herself and grow some coping skills.

If this girl has a problem with someone let her work it out. It doesn't sound like you are (or should be) involved with this at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay out of it, it's not your business. What a douchebag though... aside from the few rich kids (we all know who they are) in each class we're almost all universally poor as hell and in debt in medical school... what kind of nonsense is that to make fun of?

Can an act such as insulting another person's financial status be brought before the committee, assuming the person has not gotten into med school but has a conditional acceptance in hand?
Personally, I was amazed to hear the "story", thinking how someone would treat patients from all walks of life if she could call her classmate names because of socioecon status.

Unfortunately it's pretty hard to bring up a professionalism complaint against someone who has not yet enrolled in med school since "professionalism" per say does not apply until after taking the Hippocratic oath.

That being said, The person who made the insult sounds like douche, but the offended individual who wants to bring it up to professional committee (against someone who has not even enrolled in medical school yet) sounds even douchier especially if he/she has not made any effort to personally confront the individual and explain to him that said comment is offensive. Whatever happened to common decency?

Unfortunately her feelings will be hurt many times in medical school and beyond. Remind her that although she can't control other people, she can control her response. Advise her to keep her professional countenance when interacting with people that offend her.

Unfortunately her feelings will be hurt many times in medical school and beyond. Remind her that although she can't control other people, she can control her response. Advise her to keep her professional countenance when interacting with people that offend her.

:thumbup:

Don't stoop to their level of pettiness. People in medical school are jerks; just ignore them.

You clearly don't know much about this situation, so I'd avoid giving advice at all other than suggesting that this student seeking help should sack up and deal with it. It sounds like the classmate is a serious douche, but there are plenty of douchey people in medicine. If taking some flack for her financial status is a problem for this girl, she is not going to have a very fun time in this field. Get her to stand up for herself and grow some coping skills.

Agreed. Running to a superior every time you are insulted is pretty immature in my book. Grow up...

Keep in mind that IF you go to your administration, for anything, there is always the chance that they willbtake the complaint so seriously that they will seriosuly dammage or even end the other person's career. It's not like taking someone to court, where you know the worst thing that could happen based on what you're charging them with/suing them for. Deans pretty much always have the lattitude to expel you. That's why most people avoid reporting people to their deans unless they're sanguine with the person being expelled due to their complaint. Now while I might be fine with risking someone's career if I caught them stealing their patients' pain meds I just can't imagine feeling that way over an insult.

Keep in mind that IF you go to your administration, for anything, there is always the chance that they willbtake the complaint so seriously that they will seriosuly dammage or even end the other person's career. It's not like taking someone to court, where you know the worst thing that could happen based on what you're charging them with/suing them for. Deans pretty much always have the lattitude to expel you. That's why most people avoid reporting people to their deans unless they're sanguine with the person being expelled due to their complaint. Now while I might be fine with risking someone's career if I caught them stealing their patients' pain meds I just can't imagine feeling that way over an insult.

I think that's what the OP is thinking about doing - he/she was so insulted by the comment that he wants to report it and damage the other person's career. I think it's a sh*tty and underhanded thing to do even if the other person was acting like douche. The guy who made the comment isn't even in medical school yet and more than likely might not have been aware that his/her comment was offensive. The OP should have the common decency to pull that person aside and tell him/her that the insult was offensive. This isn't kindergarten where you run off to the dean or your superior every time you feel insulted - it will bode badly for clinicals and for your future reputation as someone who is overly hypersensitive and tattle tale.

Members don't see this ad :)
"might not have been aware that his/her comment was offensive"
At this stage in life, everyone's a responsible adult especially if she's entering a profession. While students in this program aren't in med school yet, they were taught professionalism early upon entrance. Everyone is evaluated for both academics and personalities throughout the year.
While it was not I who was insulted, I happen to have the privilege to give some inputs, if I wish, though.

Last edited:
Can we at least get some more information about the comment? I read like 9 posts and all I can wonder is what kind of "socioeconomic" slanders even exist. If it was a petty comment, then taking it to the dean would be ridiculous. This sounds more like some sort of petty grudge on behalf of the offended party, and looking to take a passive-aggressive strike back.

Person A: "Yo momma so poor, she has to wear a McDonalds uniform to church"
Person B: [/OFFENDED] WAIT UNTIL THE DEAN HEARS ABOUT YOUR LACK OF PROFESSIONALISM, SIR!

Can we at least get some more information about the comment? I read like 9 posts and all I can wonder is what kind of "socioeconomic" slanders even exist. If it was a petty comment, then taking it to the dean would be ridiculous. This sounds more like some sort of petty grudge on behalf of the offended party, and looking to take a passive-aggressive strike back.

Person A: "Yo momma so poor, she has to wear a McDonalds uniform to church"
Person B: [/OFFENDED] WAIT UNTIL THE DEAN HEARS ABOUT YOUR LACK OF PROFESSIONALISM, SIR!

Or even worse, commenting on how rich the person's family is.
I've found that wealthy people are more sensitive about people commenting on how much they have than poor people.

depends on what s/he actually said, how she phrased her words; it's less important what she said but how she said it. still it's awful attitude though. I think all these kinds of programs out there are for disadvantaged students (never seen otherwise. I'm applying to one myself), so the person in question is in no position to ridicule these things, or maybe s/he's just damn rich and somehow made her way into the program.

Last edited:
Agree with others who say stay out of it. It isn't your problem, unless you think it's something that is ongoing and is impacting your ability or the ability of others to learn and function in a professional environment. In that case, seek to resolve the problem on a peer-to-peer level before considering escalation to levels above. These are simple management principles.

Unfortunately it's pretty hard to bring up a professionalism complaint against someone who has not yet enrolled in med school since "professionalism" per say does not apply until after taking the Hippocratic oath.

That being said, The person who made the insult sounds like douche, but the offended individual who wants to bring it up to professional committee (against someone who has not even enrolled in medical school yet) sounds even douchier especially if he/she has not made any effort to personally confront the individual and explain to him that said comment is offensive. Whatever happened to common decency?

We do not take the hippocratic oath till the end of our second year.....

I just now read that this person hasn't even entered medical school yet, having only a conditional acceptance. An acceptance doesn't equal matriculation. That person isn't necessarily bound by the rules of professional conducted as outlined by the school until matriculation. This is shaky ground for reporting. I think it would be poor form on your part to bring this to the committee at such an early stage, unless you think it's that huge of a problem and see it being a big problem in the future. If it's just a one time action, and you think it's in your sphere of responsibility, why not just personally confront the individual about his or her behavior? That seems like the appropriate action at this time.

We do not take the hippocratic oath till the end of our second year.....

The oath has nothing to do with standards of professional conduct. You can be held to that standard prior to taking the oath. You agree to certain standards upon matriculation. They usually go over that at orientation.

The oath has nothing to do with standards of professional conduct. You can be held to that standard prior to taking the oath. You agree to certain standards upon matriculation. They usually go over that at orientation.

I realize that, I was just pointing out how that comment makes no sense, I am done with my first year in a few weeks....i was just making a point.

I realize that, I was just pointing out how that comment makes no sense, I am done with my first year in a few weeks....i was just making a point.

As far as professionalism is concerned just don't lie, cheat, or steal and you'll be alright. Professionalism is just a kind word for common sense that you are expected to learn. So instead of calling you stupid they just call you unprofessional. Nothing to do with any oaths really.

Or even worse, commenting on how rich the person's family is.
I've found that wealthy people are more sensitive about people commenting on how much they have than poor people.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAA

That's just about the funniest thing I've heard all day. Rich people sensitive about HOW rich they are!

Thanks for the laugh, brah!

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAA

That's just about the funniest thing I've heard all day. Rich people sensitive about HOW rich they are!

Thanks for the laugh, brah!

I can actually understand it if it's someone with rich parents who's had to fend for themselves or tries to work with their own money. One of my very good friends in high school went to a state college despite having rich lawyer parents because he got a scholarship; he worked all throughout for his own cash; currently is in med school with federal loans. If you were to tell him that "oh you must have the life, you're so rich", he'd probably be a little offended.

Of course, most of the "rich kids" I know routinely flaunt their money in medical school so the former are more of the exception than the majority.