Professor asked me what to include in LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, so my professor actually completed most of the LOR and we discussed what else she might add. She mentioned that I can text her anytime about what to include since I had graduated in December. So far, I took the DAT (will have to retake), interning/shadowing pediatric dental office, and plan to get around to my etsy shop ( I make homemade polymer clay earrings/jewelry). Should I mention the DAT retake and etsy shop? I thought mentioning the etsy shop would be a unique quality as I am incorporating motor skills and she told me she wanted to make the letter as personal as she can but Idk if it would be unnecessary as I know I'll mention it in my application under manual dexterity.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think mentioning those other things are useful tbh. Those activities are outside the scope of the class/your relationship with the professor.

in my opinion the professor should focus on your academic capabilities and involvement in the class (that demonstrate xyz). It’s okay to mention the DAT if you took it while taking the class and were able to balance multiple things at once (demonstrating time management/work ethic).

I wouldn’t mention the Etsy business in the letter either unless the professor was directly/indirectly involved (perhaps they offered guidance and observed you directly apply what you learned in class to your business). But including all these extraneous activities in the letter will dilute its purpose. It’ll sound like a professor simply elaborating on your CV. A strong letter will include specific examples of your performance/involvement in the class, describe certain attributes/capabilities you possess based on those examples, compare you to previous students in the class, and comment on your ability to handle dental school curriculum in the future.

focus more on quality than quantity. As you said, there will be other areas where you can include all that extra information.

Reactions: 1 users