Professor not following syllabus: how to approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all ,

I would really appreciate your view on a situation, ;

Specifically, as I am taking a Virology class , on the syllabus it states that 3 exams will be given with one exam being dropped. I had emailed the professor before the first exam and had confirmed this policy again ( I was sick during that time and really could not study for my exam because of it, thus, i decided to have this one dropped). The professor stated that one of the exams will be dropped.

However, several weeks later, the teaching assistant stated that none of the exams will be dropped. When I emailed the professor about this issue and whether this was the new policy, the professor mentioned that he was sorry about before but that all exams now count with no drop: the syllabus states that it is subject to change

As I was sick before the first exam and had missed the previous session as well due to the illness (the previous session covered a lot of the material), I would really like to know if I should talk to the professor about this and how this has impacted my grade and how he contradicted himself earlier? Do you think it would be fair for me to ask for a make-up or if he could drop this one grade due to these circumstances since I had kept in touch with him much earlier?

I am really concerned as I would have definitely requested a make up for the first exam if he did not drop. However i do not know what to do.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, as the syllabus states, the exams rules are subject to change. It sucks, but the professor was within his/her authority to change the drop policy. You could try to make your case for an exception or make up test to him/her, but in the end, you'll just have to hope that they have mercy on you.

Did you take the first test at all, or just get a poor grade on it?

the syllabus actually does not state that the exam rules are subject to change but more specifically "The course syllabus and schedule may change due to various circumstances. " This is why i am concerned as I honestly did not expect for this to happen with the exam policy

i took the first test and received a low grade. However, I had emailed the professor and teaching assistant before asking them about this policy; the professor had said then that the lowest will be dropped while the TA said that nothing would. I tried my best on the exam as a result as I took the professor's word over the TA's.

However, now I am concerned as the professor is saying that. Do you think i can request him for any special consideration or if anything else can be done as I was in touch with him throughout?

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, the department chair would override him. The syllabus is a contract and he cannot decide to change it on his own once the semester starts.

Reactions: 1 user
I really appreciate your clarification. I will definitely ask him again if any exceptions can be made as I was strictly following the syllabus and has asked him before via email where he had said the lowest would be dropped.

If this is not resolved, i will take it with the department chair. Do you think i should print out emails etc? How should I approach this? Thank you once again!

Definitely don't approach it with any semblance of hostility. Use your best judgement. It was a jerk move on their part, to alter expectations that late, but they should let you retake the exam because of the arrangements/agreement y'all made prior to the change in the syllabus. It sounds as if you have solid grounds to request such an accommodation.

Reactions: 1 users
Take it up with the professor's Dep't chair. At my school, FWIW, our syllabi are iron-clad contracts.
Moreover, that bait and switch tactic brings into question professional ethics and misconduct, which is venturing into the legal realm. This professor needs to honor his policy to the extent that it does not adversely affect students who took advantage of it; in other words, if he wants to change his policy for future exams, fine, but if anyone suffers as a result of his policy, it needs to be him.

Ask him to honor his policy for your exam. If he does not oblige, politely thank him for his time and walk straight over to the Dept Chair. Keep on walking uphill until you find someone that appreciates the issue at hand enough to rule in your favor.

You'll work this out to your satisfaction.

I really appreciate your clarification. I will definitely ask him again if any exceptions can be made as I was strictly following the syllabus and has asked him before via email where he had said the lowest would be dropped.

If this is not resolved, i will take it with the department chair. Do you think i should print out emails etc? How should I approach this? Thank you once again!
Bring the syllabus. Bring the emails. If you have a doctor's note, bring that too. Bring your attorney, if you want. Bring an article prepared for the school paper to be released if amends aren't made. Bring it on.

Edit: dont bring the TAs email. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Bring the syllabus. Bring the emails. If you have a doctor's note, bring that too. Bring your attorney, if you want. Bring an article prepared for the school paper to be released if amends aren't made. Bring it on.

ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPREME COURT

Seriously though, it's a dick move, but if it states in the syllabus that he has the right to change the syllabus (and thus, the drop policy), I don't see why people think that the prof is obligated to accomodate OP.

I've had numerous profs change the grading scale half way through the class or make other changes to class policy. It's pretty common imo.

ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPREME COURT

Seriously though, it's a dick move, but if it states in the syllabus that he has the right to change the syllabus (and thus, the drop policy), I don't see why people think that the prof is obligated to accomodate OP.

I've had numerous profs change the grading scale half way through the class or make other changes to class policy. It's pretty common imo.
There's a difference between "we're not going to cover xyz that I said we would", "I decided to make the final exam take-home", " I'm adding some awful assignment", etc. and "I'm going to make a change AFTER you make irreversible decisions based on this policy"

Reactions: 5 users
There's a difference between "we're not going to cover xyz that I said we would", "I decided to make the final exam take-home", " I'm adding some awful assignment", etc. and "I'm going to make a change AFTER you make irreversible decisions based on this policy"

This was basically my response. I had contacted the prof before the exam as well and he stuck with his syllabus policy. However, after the exam he said he was wrong and the ta was right , thus, impacting my grade even though I had confirmed with him earlier that he would drop the lowest exam.

I will definitely fight this. I emailed the professor as well just now stating that I had reached out to him earlier and that this will really impact my grade and is not fair as I showed that I was a responsible student.

What suggestions do you think i can give him? I asked him if I could either take a make-up exam for that 1st exam or if he could give me a cumulative final so that he could drop this exam? Are these two requests out of line?

I would really appreciate your clarification as I do not want to P/F or withdraw from this class as it is an upper division science and as I am applying this june. thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
This was basically my response. I had contacted the prof before the exam as well and he stuck with his syllabus policy. However, after the exam he said he was wrong and the ta was right , thus, impacting my grade even though I had confirmed with him earlier that he would drop the lowest exam.

I will definitely fight this. I emailed the professor as well just now stating that I had reached out to him earlier and that this will really impact my grade and is not fair as I showed that I was a responsible student.

What suggestions do you think i can give him? I asked him if I could either take a make-up exam for that 1st exam or if he could give me a cumulative final so that he could drop this exam? Are these two requests out of line?

I would really appreciate your clarification as I do not want to P/F or withdraw from this class as it is an upper division science and as I am applying this june. thanks again!

You can ask to have the final weighted more heavily. I've had professors offer this for students who miss a midterm due to documented sickness.

You're absolutely right. Unfortunately "subject to change" covers all of those things.

You're absolutely right. Unfortunately "subject to change" covers all of those things.

I appreciate all of your clarifications. Another thing to note is that this change was only mentioned by the TA not the professor. When i approached the professor about it, he said that the lowest would be dropped (i asked him before the exam). However, when I emailed the ta about this she responded " i will double check with the professor". Now the professor is stating that there will be no drop via email but did not announce it in class..

one thing to note is that this professor is in his upper 70s and is known to be forgetful. Do you think I could humbly request him to either give me a make-up or count the final more which would drop this grade as I have demonstrated that I was assertive about the material from the beginning and havent given the impression that I was unserious?

I would argue that you can change anything...until it has already occurred (unless it benefits the students). Otherwise, the professor could wait until all grades were in and then go "jk lol your entire course grade is based on attendance during the final lecture which I said was optional so half of you have already booked tickets home for an early start to winter break" (if your school requires a certain percentage be exams, they could give an exam during that session, whatever...it's hyperbole being used to make a point). So, yes, the prof has the right to change his policy...until any students have already USED the 'you get 1 freebie' exam policy in an irreversible/irredeemable fashion. If the changes it AFTER that point, he is obligated to make some sort of effort to address the students who he reversed the agreement with.

I appreciate all of your clarifications. Another thing to note is that this change was only mentioned by the TA not the professor. When i approached the professor about it, he said that the lowest would be dropped (i asked him before the exam). However, when I emailed the ta about this she responded " i will double check with the professor". Now the professor is stating that there will be no drop via email but did not announce it in class..

one thing to note is that this professor is in his upper 70s and is known to be forgetful. Do you think I could humbly request him to either give me a make-up or count the final more which would drop this grade as I have demonstrated that I was assertive about the material from the beginning and havent given the impression that I was unserious?
You can request anything. So, yes. If you're looking for "Is he likely to say YES", you'd have to ask him. How the hell would we know?
It is a reasonable request. I hope it works out for you.

Also, as a note, not taking the exam at ALL was a poor decision in any case. You can learn a lot from seeing what is on the test, and a failing score (which gets dropped) is better than a zero anyway. If I were a prof, seeing students flat-out decide not to even TAKE my exams would certainly be impetus for me to rethink my "one exam gets dropped" policy (for the next semester, as I am neither forgetful, disconnected, nor a tool in this hypothetical scenario).

You can request anything. So, yes. If you're looking for "Is he likely to say YES", you'd have to ask him. How the hell would we know?
It is a reasonable request. I hope it works out for you.

ha, i really appreciate your responses and am sorry for the series of questions. Im just uber worried because this is my last set of grades before I apply and I dont want to withdraw because of an issue that was not necessarily my fault.

I will definitely talk to the professor and request either to give a cumulative final to me and drop the lowest grade (since the cumulative final would indicate that I know the material from the first exam) or if he could drop it since he told me the change after I took advantage of the policy. I hope it works out. Thank you once again!

I would argue that you can change anything...until it has already occurred (unless it benefits the students). Otherwise, the professor could wait until all grades were in and then go "jk lol your entire course grade is based on attendance during the final lecture which I said was optional so half of you have already booked tickets home for an early start to winter break" (if your school requires a certain percentage be exams, they could give an exam during that session, whatever...it's hyperbole being used to make a point). So, yes, the prof has the right to change his policy...until any students have already USED the 'you get 1 freebie' exam policy in an irreversible/irredeemable fashion. If the changes it AFTER that point, he is obligated to make some sort of effort to address the students who he reversed the agreement with.

Yes, you can argue whatever you want. The syllabus says "subject to change" not "subject to change unless the student(s) disagrees".

It's a terrible situation, but if the professor/course director want to be hardasses about it there's nothing that can be done.

It sounds like grounds for a grade appeal. And if you are still within the withdraw period, I would consult with my dean ahead of time to verify that she shares my interpretation and would rule in my favor. (At my school grade appeals went in this order: professor to department chair to dean, etc.).

It sounds like grounds for a grade appeal. And if you are still within the withdraw period, I would consult with my dean ahead of time to verify that she shares my interpretation and would rule in my favor. (At my school grade appeals went in this order: professor to department chair to dean, etc.).

I appreciate your response. I will definitely talk to him and hope for the best before a grade appeal is submitted. Thank you once again!

Yes, you can argue whatever you want. The syllabus says "subject to change" not "subject to change unless the student(s) disagrees".

It's a terrible situation, but if the professor/course director want to be hardasses about it there's nothing that can be done.

At my school, the department chair would override him. The syllabus is a contract and he cannot decide to change it on his own once the semester starts.

I agree with V5RED and mehc012 that the agreement is contractual. To be sure the professor can modify things like exam dates and the content as unforeseen circumstances occur, but once an event/contingency has occurred, I don't think the professor is free to change his grading policy once a student has already relied upon it to his detriment. There is something in the legal world called detrimental reliance, and even contracts with a provision like this could be attacked and specific performance sought. Now I am not encouraging the OP to go to these lengths and be blacklisted, but it does challenge your assertion that nothing could be done. I think his odds of winning a grade appeal through a school to be pretty decent.

Last edited:

Nothing to do with the student disagreeing...just with the situation having ALREADY happened.
The law is subject to change, too (yes, with more work required than the prof's whim), but once it changes it can't be used to the detriment of those who violated it BEFORE the change.

Nothing to do with the student disagreeing...just with the situation having ALREADY happened.
The law is subject to change, too (yes, with more work required than the prof's whim), but once it changes it can't be used to the detriment of those who violated it BEFORE the change.

Laws are made to protect the citizens. Syllabi are not made to protect students. Crucial difference.

A more appropriate analogy would be the price of gas. If I fill my tank at 8am for $3.50/gal then at 5pm see that it's only $3.40/gal I can't go into the gas station and ask for a $0.10/gal refund.

There's a price, a general understanding that the price is subject to change, and acceptance of the fact that things may change in my favor or against it.

Such is life.

I agree with you in spirit, but I wouldn't bring an attorney and threaten legal action while still a member of the school. Assuming that the OP isn't time barred (and after exhausting a grade appeal), if he wanted to sue or up things a bit, he should do so after obtaining a medical school acceptance (or at least after obtaining recommendations/finishing classes). I wouldn't want to become blacklisted and have my applications sabotaged.

Laws are made to protect the citizens. Syllabi are not made to protect students. Crucial difference.
They exist to inform the student of the course policies and material covered so that the student can make educated decisions about whether to take the course and what to prioritize while in it. They are ABSOLUTELY designed to protect the students' interests.

No, syllabi are created to give the student an overview of the course so that the student can decided whether he or she wants to contract with the school to take the class. If the professor wants to use an amorphous grading policy, then by all means state that. My school did. But that is important information in determining whether a student wants to pay to attend the course, and if school wide, whether the student wishes to remain at the university or transfer somewhere else.

I agree with you in spirit, but I wouldn't bring an attorney and threaten legal action while still a member of the school. Assuming that the OP isn't time barred (and after exhausting a grade appeal), if he wanted to sue or up things a bit, he should do so after obtaining a medical school acceptance (or at least after obtaining recommendations/finishing classes). I wouldn't want to become blackballed and have my applications sabotaged.
You keep using this...do you mean blacklisted?
Blackballed makes me think someone was blueballed until it turned into an actual blood flow problem, somehow, in a realm where that is physiologically possible.

They exist to inform the student of the course policies and material covered so that the student can make educated decisions about whether to take the course and what to prioritize while in it. They are ABSOLUTELY designed to protect the students' interests.

No, they exist to inform students of the material covered and the course policies. They exist to protect the professor and University in situations like this.

You keep using this...do you mean blacklisted?
Blackballed makes me think someone was blueballed until it turned into an actual blood flow problem, somehow, in a realm where that is physiologically possible.

Yes, oops!

Edited: Thanks, I went back and fixed my posts. It's been a long day! I appreciate you telling me so that I don't continue looking like an idiot. :)

No, syllabi are created to give the student an overview of the course so that the student can decided whether he or she wants to contract with the school to take the class. If the professor wants to use an amorphous grading policy, then by all means state that. My school did. But that is important information in determining whether a student wants to pay to attend the course, and if school wide, whether the student wishes to remain at the university or transfer somewhere else.

Yes, I agree. However those things are not the same as protecting the student. They inform the student of the policies and also that the policies are subject to change. They do not guarantee anything to the student.

Yes, I agree. However those things are not the same as protecting the student. They inform the student of the policies and also that the policies are subject to change. They do not guarantee anything to the student.

Fair enough, but even accepting the plain meaning of the syllabus, these so called "adhesion contracts" can be subject to challenges to their enforceability. I honestly don't think the school is going to give the OP a problem.

Tough situation, you have a strong cae that should be taken to the dept chair asap. Be civil and willing to retake the exam or do something aditional to make up for it. Also follow up these emails with an office visit. Profs often hate students coming out after exams and complaining through email about their bad score. Go sit with the prof and try to work it out in person.

And at my school at least, course evaluations were used in determining whether faculty members were given tenure or not. I wonder if such a policy exists at the OP's schools. :)

Fair enough, but even accepting the plain meaning of the syllabus, these so called "adhesion contracts" can be subject to challenges to their enforceability. I honestly don't think the school is going to give the OP a problem.
Mostly this, but I still believe that it is a crucial difference that the timing is important.

If the OP, sick and unprepared, had emailed his prof for clarification on the policy and gotten the response "Oh, I changed my mind", that would have been a complete dick move, but it would be allowable. However, doing so AFTER the fact is 100% inappropriate.

You cannot say that the syllabus exists to protect the prof in a case like this without implying that a student is within their rights to challenge grading policies that are not consistent with the syllabus (otherwise, the prof would need no 'protection'.) "these policies are subject to change" gives the prof the ability to change the terms, yes, but does not free him from the obligation to notify his students of that change so that it can inform 'heir decisions. By informing them AFTER the crucial decisions have been made, he is falling short in that area. Notifying someone after the fact is not really informing them, it's just rubbing it in.

I don't think the student will have a problem either provided the department head is understanding.

Mostly this, but I still believe that it is a crucial difference that the timing is important.

If the OP, sick and unprepared, had emailed his prof for clarification on the policy and gotten the response "Oh, I changed my mind", that would have been a complete dick move, but it would be allowable. However, doing so AFTER the fact is 100% inappropriate.

You cannot say that the syllabus exists to protect the prof in a case like this without implying that a student is within their rights to challenge grading policies that are not consistent with the syllabus (otherwise, the prof would need no 'protection'.) "these policies are subject to change" gives the prof the ability to change the terms, yes, but does not free him from the obligation to notify his students of that change so that it can inform 'heir decisions. By informing them AFTER the crucial decisions have been made, he is falling short in that area. Notifying someone after the fact is not really informing them, it's just rubbing it in.

I agree that the student is most certainly within his rights to challenge grading policies. The professor is also well within his rights to tell the student "tough luck," which is the point I'm trying to make.

In the end the professor seems like a jerk, but is not in a position where he must accommodate the requests of a single student.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. ;)

I wasn't disagreeing with you. ;)
I know. I was trying to expound upon your point. :thumbup:

Also, I wanted to thank you two for one of the most civil, reasoned SDN discussions I have witnessed!

thank you once again for all of your comments! i will wait for the professor's reply ( I explained that this change is really going to impact my grade--I was assertive about the policies since day 1 and would be grateful if an exception or anything else can be done as I need to do well this semester---thus, the hypervigilance from the beginninng).

Thank you once again!

I don't think the student will have a problem either provided the department head is understanding.

I agree that the student is most certainly within his rights to challenge grading policies. The professor is also well within his rights to tell the student "tough luck," which is the point I'm trying to make.

In the end the professor seems like a jerk, but is not in a position where he must accommodate the requests of a single student.
Ah, see, I consider "tough luck" to come when the student has no leg to stand on in challenging policies. I think there's a leg here, so I wouldn't say the prof is in a position to write it off with "tough luck", that's all!

that bait and switch tactic brings into question professional ethics and misconduct, which is venturing into the legal realm.

I lol'd.

OP, be very polite. It will probably get worked out if you follow these suggestions.

thank you once again for all of your comments! i will wait for the professor's reply ( I explained that this change is really going to impact my grade--I was assertive about the policies since day 1 and would be grateful if an exception or anything else can be done as I need to do well this semester---thus, the hypervigilance from the beginninng).

Thank you once again!
Let us know how it goes..at my school as well if a prof did that it would be a huge issue for the dept. chair and the prof would likely be reprimanded. Stating in the syllabus and telling a student that one exam will be dropped and then changing the policy halfway through is like highway robbery. Good luck OP!

Let us know how it goes..at my school as well if a prof did that it would be a huge issue for the dept. chair and the prof would likely be reprimanded. Stating in the syllabus and telling a student that one exam will be dropped and then changing the policy halfway through is like highway robbery. Good luck OP!

I definitely will! thank you once again for everything !

In these kinds of situations it is amazing how quickly the university can suddenly become accommodating even at the mention of "attorney." I would go to department chair, and override the prof--sounds like he/she is a mess anyways. I have never come across a professor that plays musical chairs with the syllabi.

With such a huge change in the syllabus, I would guess that most students in the class would feel the same way you do. How are their reactions? Can you guys come up with a solution collectively? In this sort of situation, having more voices is definitely better than having one voice.

With such a huge change in the syllabus, I would guess that most students in the class would feel the same way you do. How are their reactions? Can you guys come up with a solution collectively? In this sort of situation, having more voices is definitely better than having one voice.

I appreciate your response. Most students have not really complained as of yet as the average for the first exam was fairly high (80). I unfortunately did not do well because of the fact that I was sick the previous class session and had informed the TA that missing that session will heavily negatively impact my score...and it did.

I'm still waiting for his response, btw....I will keep you all posted! thanks again!

I appreciate your response. Most students have not really complained as of yet as the average for the first exam was fairly high (80). I unfortunately did not do well because of the fact that I was sick the previous class session and had informed the TA that missing that session will heavily negatively impact my score...and it did.

I'm still waiting for his response, btw....I will keep you all posted! thanks again!

update:

the professor once again is saying that no exam will be dropped even though he said otherwise before the first exam. I will be going to his office tomorrow to further request.

I will also take this up with the chair of the department . Is there any other suggestions that I should follow?

update:

the professor once again is saying that no exam will be dropped even though he said otherwise before the first exam. I will be going to his office tomorrow to further request.

I will also take this up with the chair of the department . Is there any other suggestions that I should follow?

Just get it in writing from your professor, and if he has already said twice that he will not drop the exam, then going to him again is probably pointless and will only tick him off further. I would then go to the chair for sure. Also, as I said, look up the grade appeal process at your school before the withdrawal deadline, and find out who is responsible for deciding those claims. Contact that person to make sure that he or she is amenable to your situation and providing you a remedy BEFORE the withdrawal deadline. If there is a chance that you could lose (no matter how small I think this may be), it is better to fight over a W on your transcript (which most adcoms probably won't notice, especially if it is your first) than to argue over a C/D/F.

Reactions: 1 users