Professor not following syllabus: how to approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPREME COURT

Seriously though, it's a dick move, but if it states in the syllabus that he has the right to change the syllabus (and thus, the drop policy), I don't see why people think that the prof is obligated to accomodate OP.

I've had numerous profs change the grading scale half way through the class or make other changes to class policy. It's pretty common imo.
At my school, such a bull**** clause would not hold any weight. Professors are REQUIRED to wrote and honor a syllabus here. A clause like that negates the syllabus such that there is no point to even giving one, so it would be tossed out just like those stupid liability waivers some organizations have you sign that really have zero weight in court.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
At my school, such a bullcrap clause would not hold any weight. Professors are REQUIRED to wrote and honor a syllabus here. A clause like that negates the syllabus such that there is no point to even giving one, so it would be tossed out just like those stupid liability waivers some organizations have you sign that really have zero weight in court.

Yup, this wouldn't fly in my past undergrad and certainly not at my medical school.

I would just go to the department head OP, what is happening to you is unjust no matter what clause was put in the syllabus.

update:

I went and spoke to the professor and informed him that he had told me something different before the exam ( on the syllabus and via email) and after the exam (that no exam will be dropped).

He mentioned that he was not aware that he had said that one exam will be dropped and had forgotten. He did say that I should talk to the TA of the course as it was the TA who wanted to count all three exams.

I would really like to know how I should further approach this without coming off as mean and grade-hungry? I clearly feel that I have a case and really dont want to withdraw from the course especially during my postbac.

Should I mention everything to the ta and show the professor's emails which shows that he contradicted himself?

Your further clarifications would be appreciated as I have never dealt with a class where the TA has this much power over a professsor's grading policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
update:

I went and spoke to the professor and informed him that he had told me something different before the exam ( on the syllabus and via email) and after the exam (that no exam will be dropped).

He mentioned that he was not aware that he had said that one exam will be dropped and had forgotten. He did say that I should talk to the TA of the course as it was the TA who wanted to count all three exams.

I would really like to know how I should further approach this without coming off as mean and grade-hungry? I clearly feel that I have a case and really dont want to withdraw from the course especially during my postbac.

Should I mention everything to the ta and show the professor's emails which shows that he contradicted himself?

Your further clarifications would be appreciated as I have never dealt with a class where the TA has this much power over a professsor's grading policy.

I'm sorry, but this is complete crap. The professor has the say, not the TA and he should step up to the plate and take care of his own dirty work. And yes, absolutely present the TA with the professor's emails and the syllabus. With this said, approach the TA and tell him the same thing you did the Professor. If the TA refuses to comply and the professor refuses to act, go over the professor's head.

Edited: I hope the others will chime in, but if the TA really angered me, I would have a chat with his faculty member mentor (i.e. the one who is likely responsible for his salary/stipend and likely has pull concerning his funding, including teaching fellowships), and make sure that he understands what is happening. Maybe the TA will lose any teaching fellowship and subsequent funding. I would only do this as a last resort. Also, for whatever it is worth, my school made students also complete course evaluations not only with respect to the instructor but also with graduate TAs. I had a couple who confided in me that these were kept in their files and were considered when the graduate TA solicits recommendations from the school.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but this is complete crap. The professor has the say, not the TA and he should step up to the plate and take care of his own dirty work. And yes, absolutely present the TA with the professor's emails and the syllabus. With this said, approach the TA and tell him the same thing you did the Professor. If the TA refuses to comply and the professor refuses to act, go over the professor's head.

Edited: I hope the others will chime in, but if the TA really angered me, I would have a chat with his faculty member mentor (i.e. the one who is likely paying his salary to TA), and make sure that he understands what is happening. Maybe the TA will lose any teaching fellowship and subsequent funding. I would only do this as a last resort.

I appreciate your clarification. I had casually spoken to the TA yesterday about whether I could take a makeup (before stating what the professor said etc); she mentioned that she cannot provide an additional exam as it would not be fair. If i bring up what the professor said and his mistake (I plan on going to her office on Friday), do you think this would be convincing?

I am definitely very angry and upset. I just want to go about this in a civil manner so that my transcript isnt comprimised (particularly since I am doing all of this for grade enhancement reasons: had a 3.1 undegrad but a 3.77 postbac).

Thank you once again!

I appreciate your clarification. I had casually spoken to the TA yesterday about whether I could take a makeup (before stating what the professor said etc); she mentioned that she cannot provide an additional exam as it would not be fair. If i bring up what the professor said and his mistake (I plan on going to her office on Friday), do you think this would be convincing?

I am definitely very angry and upset. I just want to go about this in a civil manner so that my transcript isnt comprimised (particularly since I am doing all of this for grade enhancement reasons: had a 3.1 undegrad but a 3.77 postbac).

Thank you once again!

I think the fair thing to do is to approach the TA with the professor's new email and with the syllabus. Other than that, I would absolutely go over the TA's and professor's heads without reservation. There is no excuse at all for not fixing this.

P.S. I made a small edit for clarification. While the department likely pays the TA's stipend during a teaching fellowship, the faculty mentor is responsible for the rest of the TA's funding and has some sway over whether the TA gets some funding and what types of research or teaching awards are made. Like I said, I would only ever consider this as an absolute resort, because of the potential of burning bridges.

Last edited:
Moreover, that bait and switch tactic brings into question professional ethics and misconduct, which is venturing into the legal realm. This professor needs to honor his policy to the extent that it does not adversely affect students who took advantage of it; in other words, if he wants to change his policy for future exams, fine, but if anyone suffers as a result of his policy, it needs to be him.

Wat. The legal realm? Professional misconduct is misuse of grant money, which can be illegal, or banging a student for a better grade, which isn't illegal but likely against school policies. Being a dick about course structure isn't misconduct, nor is it unethical. A professor doing something you dislike may not be unethical. In this case, it's a dick move the student should protest to the department chair. This kind of after-the-fact change is wildly unfair and very penalizing.

But if you walk in with a lawyer, you will be laughed out of the legal system, though you may succeed in intimidating the administration. Just don't expect any letters of recommendation.

Wat. The legal realm? Professional misconduct is misuse of grant money, which can be illegal, or banging a student for a better grade, which isn't illegal but likely against school policies. Being a dick about course structure isn't misconduct, nor is it unethical. A professor doing something you dislike may not be unethical. In this case, it's a dick move the student should protest to the department chair. This kind of after-the-fact change is wildly unfair and very penalizing.

But if you walk in with a lawyer, you will be laughed out of the legal system, though you may succeed in intimidating the administration. Just don't expect any letters of recommendation.

I disagree. There is a contractual relationship between the school and the student (i.e. the student pays the university a fee in return for enrolling in courses). The professor is an agent of the university. The course syllabus is very much part of the contractual agreement between the school and the student, and if there is a material breach, then it could absolutely be the basis for a contract suit. Now there are questions of interpreting the syllabus as to whether the professor possesses this power under the plain meaning of the terms of the syllabus, but even if accepting this at face value, there are a number of equitable remedies that apply to contracts including estoppel for detrimental reliance on the professor's statements who changed things after the fact, and the clause that many are relying on to support the professor's actions could very well be challenged. While I am not going to argue the merits of any legal argument here, I do think it is absolutely colorable legally and I don't think anyone would be laughing.

Now, to be clear, I agree with your last sentence that the OP wants to avoid burning bridges. Legal action is also expensive and in most cases, the American Rule prevents the prevailing party from being awarded their attorney's fees and costs absent a statute or rule of court that permits it (e.g. sanctions for misconduct) or an express contractual provision allowing for the fees.

Reactions: 1 users

In all seriousness, you have a lot to learn. I suggest you start by defining ethics, continue with a review of examples of professional misconduct and finish with research regarding the role our legal system plays in resolving disputes. It will serve you well when you are a professional.

Prof. should just offer both grading options to the students. All exams count or just 2. If you were going to completely miss the exam (assuming that zero would be filtered out) I think the right move would have been a quick email to check in.

Also, 95% of the time being sick is a pathetic excuse for not being able to study

Edited: I hope the others will chime in, but if the TA really angered me, I would have a chat with his faculty member mentor (i.e. the one who is likely responsible for his salary/stipend and likely has pull concerning his funding, including teaching fellowships), and make sure that he understands what is happening. Maybe the TA will lose any teaching fellowship and subsequent funding. I would only do this as a last resort. Also, for whatever it is worth, my school made students also complete course evaluations not only with respect to the instructor but also with graduate TAs. I had a couple who confided in me that these were kept in their files and were considered when the graduate TA solicits recommendations from the school.

The OP has made a good faith effort to handle this internally with the professor and TA, but they have demonstrated an unwillingness to make reparations for their mistake. At this point, I consider it appropriate and wise to go to the Department Head for resolution. Should the Department Head not provide a satisfactory resolution, I would go higher up in the administration until someone did. The distraction caused by this nonsense will begin to take it's toll, so it's in the OPs best interest resolve this quickly; in a matter of days if possible.

The OP has made a good faith effort to handle this internally with the professor and TA, but they have demonstrated an unwillingness to make reparations for their mistake. At this point, I consider it appropriate and wise to go to the Department Head for resolution. Should the Department Head not provide a satisfactory resolution, I would go higher up in the administration until someone did. The distraction caused by this nonsense will begin to take it's toll, so it's in the OPs best interest resolve this quickly; in a matter of days if possible.

As long as we're talking about internal remedies within the school, I absolutely agree that he should proceed as quickly as possible. With regards to your idea of bringing an attorney as mentioned earlier, I would wait until I finished my coursework and recommendations had been obtained (assuming that the OP wouldn't be timed barred and there wouldn't be a problem with the doctrine of latches for equitable remedies) before pouring fuel on the fire if the OP decides to go that route and fight it out.

Prof. should just offer both grading options to the students. All exams count or just 2. If you were going to completely miss the exam (assuming that zero would be filtered out) I think the right move would have been a quick email to check in.

Also, 95% of the time being sick is a pathetic excuse for not being able to study
RIght, but see, the OP DID send a quick email to check in, and then received a response saying that yes, the lowest exam grade would be dropped.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys, this is why pre-meds get a bad reputation with professors. Not to defend what the prof did, and I sympathize with OP, but this whole crusade for pre-med justice is really over the top.

As long as we're talking about internal remedies within the school, I absolutely agree that he should proceed as quickly as possible. With regards to your idea of bringing an attorney as mentioned earlier, I would wait until I finished my coursework and recommendations had been obtained (assuming that the OP wouldn't be timed barred and there wouldn't be a problem with the doctrine of latches for equitable remedies) before pouring fuel on the fire if the OP decides to go that route and fight it out.

I would not suggest consulting an attorney until all other avenues of resolution have been exhausted. The fact that this may venture into the legal realm is reason enough for the administration resolve this amicably; it's certainly in their best interest to make a good faith effort. I would be surprised if the Department Head didn't find this to be at least a potentially problematic scenario and therefore seek input from higher-level administrators who will certainly consider the legal and ethical ramifications of this. If I were a Department Head, this scenario would spurn me to conduct a programmatic review, because I wouldn't want my department thinking this is acceptable - It's bad business!

Again, an attorney is only appropriate when the two sides can't amicably resolve this dispute, in my opinion.

You guys, this is why pre-meds get a bad reputation with professors. Not to defend what the prof did, and I sympathize with OP, but this whole crusade for pre-med justice is really over the top.

This isn't normal pre-med whining. The OP has a legitimate gripe. The professor reneged on his word to the student, and the student is suffering demonstrable harm. And we aren't talking about a few points. Missing one exam out of three, would give the OP a 66.66% average if he has hundreds on the other exams. When it comes to people not doing their jobs properly to the detriment of someone's career/future, I absolutely think exploring his options (even if taking extreme action) is completely appropriate. And if defending my career made me unpopular, then so be it.

Pre-meds do not get a bad reputation with professors for holding them accountable. It's actually quite courageous to appropriately challenge anyone that rests above you in the heirarchy of power, and pursuing resolution diplomatically using established avenues is a sign of maturity and demonstrates one's ethical standard. It's quite impressive.

Pre-meds do not get a bad reputation with professors for holding them accountable. It's actually quite courageous to appropriately challenge anyone that rests above you in the heirarchy of power, and pursuing resolution diplomatically using established avenues is a sign of maturity and demonstrates one's ethical standard. It's quite impressive.

As long as those "established avenues" arn't asking your lawyer mum and dad to do all this dirty work for you!

In all seriousness, you have a lot to learn. I suggest you start by defining ethics, continue with a review of examples of professional misconduct and finish with research regarding the role our legal system plays in resolving disputes. It will serve you well when you are a professional.

In all seriousness, it takes more than a profile picture of you in a suit to make you qualified to discuss the legal system. If you'd like, though, I can bring this conversation to my department chair and the dean of the faculty to see how much legal action you can take over a syllabus violation. See, that means at least one of us will be in contact with facts.

I'm not a lawyer, but apparently syllabi aren't legal documents and educational malpractice claims are a bitch to get heard and win. They're rarely issues of professional misconduct and are usually cases alleging a failure to provide services. The latter is a document from a lawyer specializing in education cases, so enjoy the read. It's fun. The take-home message is that in 99% of cases, it won't see the inside of a courtroom and in the remaining 1%, 99% of those cases will go to the defendant.

That said, threatening legal action will get the matter resolved because the university doesn't want to deal with the process of telling the student to go **** himself. It's easier to do an in-house reprimand and force the prof to make the change. Congrats, you've intimidated someone into getting what you want. Enjoy your grade and good luck getting a recommendation from anyone in the school. Also enjoy being treated like persona non grata in every class.

You see, we're not obligated to provide recommendations and we do talk to each other. If I know a student screwed over one of my colleagues and that student is in my class, that student can expect to enjoy treatment that is completely defensible and absolutely malicious. I am obligated to teach and to apply rules fairly...but that's on a macro scale. On a micro scale, it's my discretion.

There is a particular student whom we know loves to hop towards the administration. That student is in my class now. I am very careful around her. I try to ignore her as much as possible, so as not to arouse her ire, except when it comes to her tests. Then, she has my full attention. I sit down and I pore over her answers. If there's a barest hint of error, even of a single word, I take the points off. I am careful to document every reasoning and rationale. I am determined to make sure that no one can question my logic while merrily dropping that grade as low as I can. I would never change her answers or take off points for something that is correct, but she no longer gets the benefit of the doubt.

Only human.

And it's still a dick move on the part of that professor. Absolutely take the route of showing up at the department chair's office and then to the dean.

Last edited:
Maybe the TA will lose any teaching fellowship and subsequent funding. I would only do this as a last resort.

Hope you're not a student at the university where I'm a TA.

That's a complete dick move, to try to screw someone's life over just because you failed to adequately prepare for an exam and weren't happy with the results lol.

I would not suggest consulting an attorney until all other avenues of resolution have been exhausted. The fact that this may venture into the legal realm is reason enough for the administration resolve this amicably; it's certainly in their best interest to make a good faith effort. I would be surprised if the Department Head didn't find this to be at least a potentially problematic scenario and therefore seek input from higher-level administrators who will certainly consider the legal and ethical ramifications of this. If I were a Department Head, this scenario would spurn me to conduct a programmatic review, because I wouldn't want my department thinking this is acceptable - It's bad business!

Again, an attorney is only appropriate when the two sides can't amicably resolve this dispute, in my opinion.

OMG.

PEOPLE.

THIS IS UNDERGRAD.

YOU DON'T FILE A LAWSUIT OVER A BAD GRADE.

In all seriousness, it takes more than a profile picture of you in a suit to make you qualified to discuss the legal system. If you'd like, though, I can bring this conversation to my department chair and the dean of the faculty to see how much legal action you can take over a syllabus violation. See, that means at least one of us will be in contact with facts.

I'm not a lawyer, but apparently syllabi aren't legal documents and educational malpractice claims are a bitch to get heard and win. They're rarely issues of professional misconduct and are usually cases alleging a failure to provide services. The latter is a document from a lawyer specializing in education cases, so enjoy the read. It's fun. The take-home message is that in 99% of cases, it won't see the inside of a courtroom and in the remaining 1%, 99% of those cases will go to the defendant.

That said, threatening legal action will get the matter resolved because the university doesn't want to deal with the process of telling the student to go **** himself. It's easier to do an in-house reprimand and force the prof to make the change. Congrats, you've intimidated someone into getting what you want. Enjoy your grade and good luck getting a recommendation from anyone in the school. Also enjoy being treated like persona non grata in every class.

You see, we're not obligated to provide recommendations and we do talk to each other. If I know a student screwed over one of my colleagues and that student is in my class, that student can expect to enjoy treatment that is completely defensible and absolutely malicious. I am obligated to teach and to apply rules fairly...but that's on a macro scale. On a micro scale, it's my discretion.

There is a particular student whom we know loves to hop towards the administration. That student is in my class now. I am very careful around her. I try to ignore her as much as possible, so as not to arouse her ire, except when it comes to her tests. Then, she has my full attention. I sit down and I pore over her answers. If there's a barest hint of error, even of a single word, I take the points off. I am careful to document every reasoning and rationale. I am determined to make sure that no one can question my logic while merrily dropping that grade as low as I can. I would never change her answers or take off points for something that is correct, but she no longer gets the benefit of the doubt.

Only human.

And it's still a dick move on the part of that professor. Absolutely take the route of showing up at the department chair's office and then to the dean.

From the link you posted.

"
In constructing course syllabi that are legally sound, you must follow and comply with Section 8.5 (Course Outlines/Syllabi) of the Faculty Handbook. Remember, the Faculty Handbook is viewed as a legal document by the courts. Under Section 8.5, you are required to prepare a course outline/syllabus for each course taught. Copies must be distributed to each student on the first day of class.

The course outline shall:

1. State succinctly the objectives of the course.
  2. List the required textbook(s).
  3. List dates major projects are to be submitted.
  4. List dates for tests and examinations.
  5. Summarize the major topics to be covered.
  6. Enumerate the expectations of students, including attendance, make-up and honor code policies.
  7. State the criteria for grading students' performance.
All of the above criteria are extremely important in making your syllabus legally sound."

And

"
Communicate with your students. If changes to the syllabus have been made consider this: Have you so fundamentally changed what is presented in the course syllabus, that it is unfair to the students.

If you make changes to your syllabus during the course of your teaching, make them for student fairness only.

Common sense should prevail.

Ask, would it be "fair"?

What was the reasonable expectation of the student coming in the class?"

And

"Your specific policies regarding make-up exams, etc. should be specifically outlined and strictly and consistently followed. Never do for one student, what you would not do for another."

and

"Although there have been no successful claims presented by students over whether they have learned what was presented in class and institutions normally win educational malpractice cases, an obligation of fair dealing is implied between the institution and the student."

I suggest you take my recommendation to do a review of ethics and reconsider how you are treating that student, jerk. Or, while you visit your Dean and Chair, ask them if it's ethical to more heavily scrutinize a student's work because you have a personal issue with that student- that is an unfair practice and illegal. It is obvious to me why you have any aversion for attorneys and students standing up for what's right- you have publically declared youself guilty of professional misconduct and seem to be proud of it.

OMG.

PEOPLE.

THIS IS UNDERGRAD.

YOU DON'T FILE A LAWSUIT OVER A BAD GRADE.
I think you are in the wrong thread. Nobody is recommending filing a lawsuit over a bad grade. And, are you implying undergrad is not important?

The ones at my school put a clause that they can change whatever is on it. I hate sometimes when professors just do stuff out the blue just because they can.

The ones at my school put a clause that they can change whatever is on it. I hate sometimes when professors just do stuff out the blue just because they can.

Some changes you can make, some you cannot, even with a clause.

Hope you're not a student at the university where I'm a TA.

That's a complete dick move, to try to screw someone's life over just because you failed to adequately prepare for an exam and weren't happy with the results lol.

That's not what is happening here, and if your last sentence was accurate, I wouldn't think of doing something like that. This isn't an issue of a student merely blowing off an exam. The student was ill and was told, prior to missing the exam, that the lowest score would be dropped by the professor and now a graduate TA is trying to change that to the student's detriment. I don't think it is a low blow at all, but more of a what goes around comes around thing. The TA is playing with his career and future, and I would have absolutely zero reservation by playing with his or hers. And again, this isn't because the TA didn't agree with the OP for a make-up per se; it is because the TA is trying to renege after the student had been expressly told otherwise but he professor. And as far as I am concerned, this isn't purely an issue of revenge, but at least as far as a teaching fellowship is concerned, it is an issue of making sure that the TA doesn't screw over anyone else.

Edit: In fairness to me, I also admitted it was an extreme remedy warranted only in the most extreme cases (i.e. other remedies failed first). Let the TA take out loans and pay extra money as the OP would have to do to repeat the course if he is forced to withdraw.

OMG.

PEOPLE.

THIS IS UNDERGRAD.

What happened if this was in one of your graduate courses? I don't see why it should matter whether this was college or something else. And for the record, the OP is already in a post bacc, so there is much less room for error than there might have been otherwise. The bottom line is that a professor and TA should not renege on a grading policy once a student has already relied upon it to his or her detriment. Now that is the **** move (as you would call it based on your other posts).

Last edited:
If you're too sick to take an exam, then get a doctor's excuse and skip class. Don't half-ass your way through an exam for ****s and giggles. If OP had said "Hey prof, here's my doctors excuse so that I can take the test in a few days when I'm better" instead of saying "I'm sick, will you be dropping an exam?" then this wouldn't have been an issue.

If you're too sick to take an exam, then get a doctor's excuse and skip class. Don't half-ass your way through an exam for ****s and giggles. If OP had said "Hey prof, here's my doctors excuse so that I can take the test in a few days when I'm better" instead of saying "I'm sick, will you be dropping an exam?" then this wouldn't have been an issue.

Your post indicates that you are of the opinion that the student is responsible for being double-crossed by the professor, because the student didn't anticipate being double-crossed and seek recourse beforehand?

Attachments

• 7ny7h.jpg
    7ny7h.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 36
Your post indicates that you are of the opinion that the student is responsible for being double-crossed by the professor, because the student didn't anticipate being double-crossed and seek recourse beforehand?

Nah, I'm just big on using common sense and not whining. I've had profs say they're going to drop an exam before then change their mind by canceling the final exam, etc. But since the syllabi always says "Subject to change at professor's discretion" I've never relied on it and plan to make my last exam my drop.

At my school, if you were sick (with note) and didn't show up, you can drop the exam or take it later. But to take it while sick (which I've done) can't be excused.

Nah, I'm just big on using common sense and not whining. I've had profs say they're going to drop an exam before then change their mind by canceling the final exam, etc. But since the syllabi always says "Subject to change at professor's discretion" I've never relied on it and plan to make my last exam my drop.
common sense says double check with professor before making a decision like this. And that's what OP did..

That's great that you don't rely on it and just use it to drop your last exam. But stuff happens for other people that may make dropping a different exam necessary.

At my school, if you were sick (with note) and didn't show up, you can drop the exam or take it later. But to take it while sick (which I've done) can't be excused.
yeah, but he's not just trying to get it excused because he was sick. Only because the syllabus/prof said one would be dropped and is now going back on it.

It seems like you aren't big on common sense unless you think it is common sense that professors will randomly change their grading policies partway through a semester. That is an uncommon situation, and to sy that common sense is to act as if it will happen means that it is common sense to think of all professors as liars with no integrity.

I forget, did the syllabus state that the grading policy was subject to change or simply that the syllabus as a whole was subject to change?

I forget, did the syllabus state that the grading policy was subject to change or simply that the syllabus as a whole was subject to change?
Mine usually specify that the dates and the topics are subject to change.

Mine usually specify that the dates and the topics are subject to change.

Yeah, the way it was worded in the OP made it seem like it could have said that the drop policy was subject to change, which would change the situation a bit.

The former would be interesting and I'm sure tolerated by any respectable institution. Not.

Each student is allowed to drop one test of their choice
but im allowed to change my mind about this after you make an irreversable decision based on my policy

you'd be surprised how people change their tune when they open their mailbox, and our summoned to court with a lawsuit. as long as all you do is talk about it, nothing is going to change. but if you actually take action, you will see results much more quickly.

hey all, I really appreciate comments and suggestions.

I thankfully am one step closer to a resolution: after speaking at lengths with the TA about this, she mentioned that right now I shouldnt ask her for anything because I have yet to prove that I know the material for the course. HOWEVER, if I do well on the second exam, the TA said that I can talk to her then and that she will consider giving me a cumulative final exam so that I can drop this one...only, however, if I do well on the second exam to prove that this exam was indeed not consistent of my abilities.

What are your thoughts on this? I will definitely speak to the chair of the department and my advisor just in case she backs off later so that I can be safe...otherwise, do you think this is a valid compromise and a good solution?

I thankfully am one step closer to a resolution: after speaking at lengths with the TA about this, she mentioned that right now I shouldnt ask her for anything because I have yet to prove that I know the material for the course. HOWEVER, if I do well on the second exam, the TA said that I can talk to her then and that she will consider giving me a cumulative final exam so that I can drop this one...only, however, if I do well on the second exam to prove that this exam was indeed not consistent of my abilities.

What are your thoughts on this? I will definitely speak to the chair of the department and my advisor just in case she backs off later so that I can be safe...otherwise, do you think this is a valid compromise and a good solution?
Get it in writing. Get a discrete cutoff grade which you have to obtain and get. that. ****. in. writing.
Email her.

Um. No. Not unless this condition was part of the original policy.

The fact that you have not yet gone to the Dept Chair makes me question your judgement. Your case will only get weaker the longer you wait.

sue the TA and the professor in court. they both seem like cowards that are on a power trip. but, they will both back off once they see their names printed on a lawsuit.

The former would be interesting and I'm sure tolerated by any respectable institution. Not.

Each student is allowed to drop one test of their choice
but im allowed to change my mind about this after you make an irreversable decision based on my policy

What is your background in BigSyllabusLaw?

sue the TA and the professor in court. they both seem like cowards that are on a power trip. but, they will both back off once they see their names printed on a lawsuit.

If you threaten a lawsuit, the university is most likely not going to start shaking in their boots and give you whatever you want. Universities have considerably larger resources, more power, and significantly more stamina for legal procedings than one student and his lawyer. If OP takes it to that realm, he better be ready for a long and potentially expensive fight.

i appreciate your clarification.

Hubriz: I actually will be going to the department chair on Monday (I was only able to get the appointment to meet him then). The TA was free today, however, so I decided to pay her a visit. I will bring this matter with the chair on monday.

When I clearly explained to the TA everything (im premed and need an A/your answers earlier were bs) and that the policy was not fair and how I was on top of my stuff from the beginning, she actually was able to understand that. She did mention that the professor had given her rights to do whatever she wanted (whether it went against the syllabus or not).

She also mentioned that the professor is very disorganized and that she has had to organize the course. The syllabus was actually from a previous year and the professor did not bother to read the details of the syllabus properly ( hes senile, doesnt care)

However, after I told her everything, she gave me that compromise (do well on the second exam and I will definitely help you out by giving you that option so that you can raise your grade). Should I bring this up with the chair of the department too (her conditional statement, etc)? The impression that I got was that the TA was willing to budge provided I showed her that I had a strong understanding of the material for the next exam. I have bookmarked all the emails of the correspondences that I had with the professor and will definitely bring them to the department chair on Monday.

I will also make sure the TA goes by her word. If she does not, then I will get the chair to do something severe about this while causing me the least harm.

I am also going to make sure that I get what I want well before the semester ends ( the next exam is next week and the final exam is in the end of may). So after I get my 2nd exam score (hopefully its very good),I will remind her of what she said earlier.. if she contradicts herself, then I will ensure that the chair does something to my benefit.

i appreciate your clarification.

Hubriz: I actually will be going to the department chair on Monday (I was only able to get the appointment to meet him then). The TA was free today, however, so I decided to pay her a visit. I will bring this matter with the chair on monday.

When I clearly explained to the TA everything (im premed and need an A/your answers earlier were bs) and that the policy was not fair and how I was on top of my stuff from the beginning, she actually was able to understand that. She did mention that the professor had given her rights to do whatever she wanted (whether it went against the syllabus or not).

She also mentioned that the professor is very disorganized and that she has had to organize the course. The syllabus was actually from a previous year and the professor did not bother to read the details of the syllabus properly ( hes senile, doesnt care)

However, after I told her everything, she gave me that compromise (do well on the second exam and I will definitely help you out by giving you that option so that you can raise your grade). Should I bring this up with the chair of the department too (her conditional statement, etc)? The impression that I got was that the TA was willing to budge provided I showed her that I had a strong understanding of the material for the next exam. I have bookmarked all the emails of the correspondences that I had with the professor and will definitely bring them to the department chair on Monday.

I will also make sure the TA goes by her word. If she does not, then I will get the chair to do something severe about this while causing me the least harm.
When you talk to the chair, mention the TA's compromise, and GET SOMETHING CONCRETE IN WRITING.

What is your background in BigSyllabusLaw

If you threaten a lawsuit, the university is most likely not going to start shaking in their boots and give you whatever you want. Universities have considerably larger resources, more power, and significantly more stamina for legal procedings than one student and his lawyer. If OP takes it to that realm, he better be ready for a long and potentially expensive fight.

My opinions stand on their own good reasoning. I won't qualify my opinions with my extensive education, university experience and current profession, specifically. But, I have used an attorney in the past to settle disputes. One with a landlord, one with a freight shipping company, another with a towing company. None went to court. It's called life, and I am assuming you haven't experiences this aspect of it, but I'm likely older (31) and have had more time to do so.

I wouldn't ever expect a lawsuit. Attorneys resolve disputes between two parties all the time, and even though OP may want to explore his legal options, it's not likely that an attorney will need to be brought into this situation, because an acceptable resolution will be found internally

Last edited: