Professor or Professor In Major? LOR (Quick Question)

Started by xx6xx12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xx6xx12

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The degree I'm receiving is an interdisciplinary bachelors of science? Would my biology professor's be considered Professor's in major? or just Professor? I'm submitting my LOR's and don't want to make any mistakes.There are a lot of biology and health sciences majors at my school, but I'm not one of them.

Thanks
 
If possible, focus on upper division courses for your LORs. These letters are typically from faculty that have more than one interaction with you in two or more classes. They are better positioned to assess your academic ability. Any course that fulfills the major requirement (usually upper division) is from a professor in your major--even if it is an statistics class, or anthropology, or archeology, or whatever.

What exactly is your degree in?


_______________________
Licensed Physical Therapist
 
Last edited:
Yea, this guy was my professor for both Gen Bio 1 and Human Physiology, both of which I got A's in. He's well respected at my school, and I'm lucky to have developed a solid relationship with him. My second academic LOR is from my lab professor from anatomy, as well as Human Phys. It's a bachelors of science, i guess they would be considered "professors in major"
 
Bachelor of Science is the type of degree you are earning. What is your major? Biology? Psych? If your major is Journalism, then these courses are likely not in your major. However, science references are stronger in my opinion, so stick with them.

_______________________
Licensed Physical Therapist