Professor Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinicalhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you're getting your three recommendations for a clinical Ph.D. app, is there any "correct" distribution of who you're getting them from? For example, should they all be people you've worked for in a lab, or should there be one recommendation from someone you've had a class with, had clinical experience with, etc.?

Also, what month should you be giving profs your recommendation forms, assuming you have some apps that are due at the beginning of December?

One other question regarding recommendations. How long should you have known/worked for the person in order for it to be a "valid" recommendation that an admissions committee would take seriously? I will be applying to clinical Ph.D. programs in the fall of 2009 and I was wondering, if I began to work in someone's lab starting in January 2009 and worked in that lab straight through (including summer) to the application submission (December 2009), would that person's recommendation be considered okay even though I technically haven't worked for them for a year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would choose the profs that know you the best... regardless of their distribution. As long, of course, as they can give you a good lor.

I think I handed them my packets in September or October. I gave them each about 8 weeks to get everything finished. My stuff was very organized and I think that impressed them...

It just depends on the prof though, I'd ask them straight up how much time they need to get the job finished. Some of these professors get dozens and dozens of requests so it takes them a lot of energy to churn out personalized letters.

Good luck and congrats on starting the process.