Profit & efficiency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HdK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a D2 just getting bombarded with all these metal ceramic materials etc. etc. which I can't wrap my head around. I can't imagine being in practice and actually being able to apply the huge amount of information that I'm learning right now in terms of what materials to use when, efficiency of sending stuff to the lab, and getting it back, and sending it back, etc. (I'm a bit stressed)

Rant aside, this had me questioning the limited variety of procedures my brain can handle when I go into practice, and if it would be profitable.

From your experience, and aside from individual skill level, what procedures would you say is the most time efficient and brings in a lot of money.

I ask this because I'm starting to lose confidence in these classes in my future ability to be efficient at the VAST amount of procedures that may be required every time a new patient walks through the door and that maybe I should just stick to a few procedures that don't require a lot of lab work etc.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Breathe. You're not going to be a lab tech, you're going to be a dentist. You learn about all this stuff to be able to recognize when the lab screws up, mostly. You're never going to be making a PFM in the lab, you're just going to tell the lab that you need a PFM made. You need this stuff for passing your class and your boards basically, and a lot of it is information you're never going to use in practice. In what clinical situation will you possibly need to know what temperature the ceramic of your crown should be glazed at?

Reactions: 5 users