program # 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samanta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:eek:
Do you think it is OK to tell your number 1 program bluntly that you will rank them number 1??? Is it OK to call them or is it too awkward since they probably can't tell you how they rank you?

Does anyone have advice or experience how to go about this. What about your number 2 and 3 choices? :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

:eek:
Do you think it is OK to tell your number 1 program bluntly that you will rank them number 1??? Is it OK to call them or is it too awkward since they probably can't tell you how they rank you?

Does anyone have advice or experience how to go about this? What about your number 2 and 3 choices? :idea:

I told my #1 that I ranked them first-in person. I told #2 and #3 that they're in my top 3 in a letter. I think you're right that a phone call could be akward. Do you have contact with any of the residents at your #1? They can probably give you some good advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course it's ok. Provided that they actually are your #1 program. If you lie, be prepared to be despised. A lot of programs welcome you telling them they are your #1. It probably won't affect your rankings but they might look more fondly on you, you never know. It won't put you down in their rankings at all. As for #2 and 3, just don't lie to them. Tell them you really liked their program or something.

I would like to tell my #1 program that they are number one - the only problem is that I don't know what my #1 program is. :eek:

Feel free to tell your top ranked program that they are your #1, if you have made a final decision and will stick with it.

For programs #2-5, you can say that you plan on ranking them very highly. But this is what everyone does...I decided to change the wording a bit to express a high level of interest but I tried to word things in a positive and cryptic way. Because, seriously, when programs get these kind of correspondences, they see things in one of two ways:

(a) Ooh...he/she told me that we're his/her #1 choice!
(b) blah blah blah blah blah...didn't see/hear the word "#1".

Is there a time when it is too late to tell a program they are #1? When do programs send in their final rank lists?

drPLUM said:
Is there a time when it is too late to tell a program they are #1? When do programs send in their final rank lists?

I would still do it for sure. Can't hurt and might help.

Well, I did it. I told my number one that they were number one. Oh god, I hope they love me too.

I'm feeling really vulnerable right now. Somebody hold me.....

Buttercupp said:
Well, I did it. I told my number one that they were number one. Oh god, I hope they love me too.

I'm feeling really vulnerable right now. Somebody hold me.....

Given the fact that telling a program they are #1 moves you up their rank list, it almost feels like going "all or nothing". You can only tell one program that, and if they don't rank you high enough, then you are not ranked as high at the programs you only "ranked highly" because they were not #1.

I guess this brings up the age old question of how do you get yourself moved up the rank list at your #2.

drPLUM said:
Given the fact that telling a program they are #1 moves you up their rank list,

I don't think that's a fact at all. It may be true at some places, but other places either don't give a crap or they don't really believe what applicants say.

Many programs I interviewed at said something like "When you decide where you want to go, it might be a good idea to tell that program... **wink, wink**

drPLUM said:
Many programs I interviewed at said something like "When you decide where you want to go, it might be a good idea to tell that program... **wink, wink**

Yeah, one program told that to me, but the other programs basically told me that it didn't really matter one way or the other. That being said, I only interviewed at a handful of places, so my sample size may be too small.

I personally don't believe in anything any PD told me any more....who's honest, who's not? Everybody (well, mostly) was nice and I always had a good feeling after an interview....
One PD told me they don't give away prematches....and now they gave away two and go with only two positions into the match....
It's one BIG GAMBLE!

I did tell my number one program that they are my #1....Yeah, I feel vulnerable too!!!!
But at least I am honest!

37 days....

Generally, it likely does make some difference if you tell a program that you will be ranking them #1. But I can't speak for all programs.

Don't sweat things...just let the match play out. Of course, last year when I was in your shoes, the residents here were saying the same thing. Did I listen? Not really...I was still sweating and there was some anxiety on my end.

It really doesn't help that you certify your final rank order list in mid-to-late February and then you have to wait almost a month to find out where you match. All I can say is that once final rank lists are in, there's nothing you can do. If you're anxious, spend the 3-4 weeks in the interim by drinking heavily.

My #1 recently called me twice to tell me that I would be ranked to match. "... we'll definitely rank you in top N and we have N positions this year ...". And I told them the same. Do program directors usually keep their words like these? Guess I'm a little bit too nervous. Anyway I'll still rank other programs just in case - for example, their PC may misspell my AAMC id.

HappyPanda said:
My #1 recently called me twice to tell me that I would be ranked to match. "... we'll definitely rank you in top N and we have N positions this year ...". And I told them the same. Do program directors usually keep their words like these?

Congrats! I haven't heard anything so specific and would take it as a very good sign. I think you are smart to still rank other programs, just in case.

who should I let know in the program how I am ranking them, the PD, coordinator, residents, attendings......