Program Fees at UQ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engPhD09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question. The website for UQ says international tuition is 42,000 AUD. I realize this will increase a bit every year. If you dig into this new UQ-Oschner website, it says that starting in 2010 (the year I'm interested in), there will be an additional 18,000 "program fee" for the Australia years. This seems strange. Is this going to be happening starting in 2010 for internationals who do all four years in Australia?

Here's the link:

http://www.mededpath.org/internationalpathways/tuition.php

It seems to me this would make UQ the most populous AND the most expensive, and would almost price them out of the Australian market for internationals if they did this. I know that most North American students in Australia appear to be Canadians and the UQ-Oschner program is geared only toward Americans. it seems like this 18,000 might be an extra tax for the "privilede" of getting to come back to the States 2 years earlier?

Anybody know?

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question. The website for UQ says international tuition is 42,000 AUD. I realize this will increase a bit every year. If you dig into this new UQ-Oschner website, it says that starting in 2010 (the year I'm interested in), there will be an additional 18,000 "program fee" for the Australia years. This seems strange. Is this going to be happening starting in 2010 for internationals who do all four years in Australia?

Here's the link:

http://www.mededpath.org/internationalpathways/tuition.php

It seems to me this would make UQ the most populous AND the most expensive, and would almost price them out of the Australian market for internationals if they did this. I know that most North American students in Australia appear to be Canadians and the UQ-Oschner program is geared only toward Americans. it seems like this 18,000 might be an extra tax for the "privilede" of getting to come back to the States 2 years earlier?

Anybody know?

Wow that is really big surcharge, but remember, now that the US dollar has strengthened, $68k AUD is about $43K US. So that made it on par with private US schools.

Wow that is really big surcharge, but remember, now that the US dollar has strengthened, $68k AUD is about $43K US. So that made it on par with private US schools.

Yes, it's on par for US programs (although there can be a big range). The cost for the US years will be about $50K USD. I wonder if maybe that's the part that goes to Oschner and UQ is adding the extra charge because they won't be able to get you for years 3 and 4.

Anyway, the question still stands: if you do all four years at UQ in Australia, does anybody know if there will be the 18K "program fee" on top of the 42K starting for 2010 matriculants (or is the program simply referencing the Oschner program specifically)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
the oschner program is a special program isnt it? you have to specificaly apply for it. other internationals who do all 4 years in australia dont have these extra fees. is that correct?

Well, I contacted International Pathways (the comapny running this program, it appears), and they provided this:

Thank you for your interest in the program. The entering class of 2009 does not show the fee because the additional costs of running the program in both countries were not computed in time to set 2009 tuition. Therefore, those students will get the benefit of no additional program fee through their 2 years in Australia.

The tuition and fees for this program will not coincide exactly with those of the University of Queensland 4-year program of study. For information on about the University of Queensland, please visit [URL="http://www.uq.edu.au/"]http://www.uq.edu.au/[/URL].
So I interpret that as anybody doing the Oschner program is going to have to pay an extra ~20K AUD during their first two years, while their "full fee paying" peers will not (the ones who do all four years in Oz).

APPLY through Oztrekk they just (last week) partnered with the UQ Ochsner program. They have eliminated that "program fee" entirely. Now you just pay the regular UQ tuition for years 1 and 2 and then an AMerican tution for years 3 and 4 (around 48 USD) so it is still a little more expensive, but remember cost of living in NO is much less than Brisbane.

Also consider that all international student fees in Australia increase by about 5-6% per year.

APPLY through Oztrekk they just (last week) partnered with the UQ Ochsner program. They have eliminated that "program fee" entirely. Now you just pay the regular UQ tuition for years 1 and 2

This is no longer the case. Everyone will pay the surcharge regardless of application method. Source: OzTrek

IIRC the increase is to be no more than 5% pa

I'm not sure what they say about "no more than" 5%, but it's always about 5%. I remember hearing a number somewhere between 5 and 6, but I don't remember the exact value.

I'm not sure what they say about "no more than" 5%, but it's always about 5%. I remember hearing a number somewhere between 5 and 6, but I don't remember the exact value.

There was a fiasco with international student tuition fees in my year and they overcharged us. I didnt really pay much attention to it since our international student rep took care of everything (bless her). I just know that annually the school fees for international students may not rise more than 5% of 1st year fees. So if for instance if you enrolled in 2009, the course fee is $16000 then 2010 the max it can climb to is $16800

Yeah, the difference between $16k and $16.8k doesn't sound that bad. At USyd, on the other hand, fees are going from about $53.7k to over $56k. At UQ, it's going from something like $44k (can't remember the exact number) to about $48k. etc etc

The program fee is of great contention. Just take my word. Suffice it to say, it is there, it only applies to UQ-Ochsner, it will apply no matter how you get into the program, and it is changing structure once again for the 2011 entering class (and affecting the current 2010 cohort). If fees are your concern, as is very reasonable, honestly the best way to look at this as a fixed fee and that is just what you will pay. Do not try and rationalize it out, figure out what you are getting for it, or decide how it may or may not change depending on entry. Simply because, there is NO ANSWER for those questions. Let me re-iterate. There is NO ANSWER. If you are in a position to decide, do so from the perspective of that "fee" simply being part of your tuition and deciding whether you are willing to pay that level of tuition and leave it at that.