Program is in both the AOA/ACGME match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can'tdecide111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To SDN,

I have a question. I'm part of the ACGME match, but I applied to a program that is also in the AOA match. How do I know if they still have positions avaliable after the AOA match?

Members don't see this ad.

To SDN,

I have a question. I'm part of the ACGME match, but I applied to a program that is also in the AOA match. How do I know if they still have positions avaliable after the AOA match?
If they match all of their spots AOA, you won't be able to rank them. They will withdraw from ACGME and the program won't be available.

This is uncommon however, as most dual programs will put a certain # of spots in AOA and the rest (and any leftovers) in NRMP.

Also, are you sure this program isn't just doing ACGME since the AOA match is going away soon and many programs have already gotten accreditation and have switched over?

Finally...why does it matter? If they only have 1 spot left in NRMP, and you rank them #1 and don't match there, it will have no effect on your ability to match elsewhere.

If they match all of their spots AOA, you won't be able to rank them. They will withdraw from ACGME and the program won't be available.

This is uncommon however, as most dual programs will put a certain # of spots in AOA and the rest (and any leftovers) in NRMP.

Also, are you sure this program isn't just doing ACGME since the AOA match is going away soon and many programs have already gotten accreditation and have switched over?

Finally...why does it matter? If they only have 1 spot left in NRMP, and you rank them #1 and don't match there, it will have no effect on your ability to match elsewhere.

On interview day, they told us they were in both. The program is still on my NRMP rank list so it sounds like there are spots avaliable though. Is there anyway to tell how many spots or no?

On their website,however: "All of our first year positions will be filled through the National Residency Matching Program “NRMP”."

I guess I'm anxious since I really felt like I fit with this program.

Last edited:
On interview day, they told us they were in both. The program is still on my NRMP rank list so it sounds like there are spots avaliable though. Is there anyway to tell how many spots or no?
No. But, again...why does it matter?

And since the AOA match was this morning, I doubt the program has updated it's NRMP file yet.

No. But, again...why does it matter?

And since the AOA match was this morning, I doubt the program has updated it's NRMP file yet.

You are right. It doesn't. Just that I love the program a lot and would be disappointed if I didn't match there.

On their website,however: "All of our first year positions will be filled through the National Residency Matching Program “NRMP”."

I guess I'm anxious since I really felt like I fit with this program.

If they told you they were in both matches, then why are you worrying?

My program is dually accredited, so we save X amount of spots for DOs and X amount of spots for MDs in each match. That's pretty typical for what dually accredited programs do from my (limited) experience.

I had a question that was kind of similar to the topic we are discussing here:

If a program is dually accredited and has x spots set aside for AOA match and y spots set aside for ACGME spots, and lets say they fail to fill all of the AOA spots, would most places then expand the number of spots they have made available thru ACGME to have a full roster?

If they told you they were in both matches, then why are you worrying?

My program is dually accredited, so we save X amount of spots for DOs and X amount of spots for MDs in each match. That's pretty typical for what dually accredited programs do from my (limited) experience.

Im glad. It hasn't disappeared from my rank list and I really want to go there. I feel so much fit with the PD over there, location and the residency.

I had a question that was kind of similar to the topic we are discussing here:

If a program is dually accredited and has x spots set aside for AOA match and y spots set aside for ACGME spots, and lets say they fail to fill all of the AOA spots, would most places then expand the number of spots they have made available thru ACGME to have a full roster?
More than likely.

Reactions: 1 users