Program NOT at showcase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodfellas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a P4 who plans on entering the match, I am trying to narrow my list of programs to visit during midyear. I spoke to the few local programs I plan on applying to at the local residency showcase, and I have been in contact with a few RPD for other somewhat local programs who did not attend the showcase. One program (which I don't know much about) is very appealing on paper. It is located in a different state so there was no chance to see it locally. From what I can tell, this program (which is at a nationally-recognized hospital) looks appealing on paper. However, it does not look like they attend the showcase!

I know the 'value' of the showcase is questionable as to helping your chances. I wanted to meet their residents to gauge the feel of the program's atmosphere. Is this something I should be worried about? This is one of the programs I have not contacted yet. Basically, if a program doesn't bother to attend the showcase, is this a reflection of how the program may be overall? They are not currently registered on ASHP for a booth, and I could not find them in the 2013 floor plans. I do not personally know anyone who has applied to or graduated from this program, but I do know it has been established for over 20 years.

Does anyone have experience applying to programs who did not attend the showcase? Is this more common than I am led to believe? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just to let you know, most California programs don't go to Midyear and just recruit locally. If your program is in California, this is the reason they are not at Midyear. If it's a program somewhere else, may be something similar, the program just doesn't want to spend time/money to go to Midyear and has enough local applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
Bacillus,

Thanks for your reply. The program is actually located near MD, so I'm not sure if skipping the showcase is common for east-coast programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was looking at residencies, there were several programs that interested me that did not have a booth at the showcase. I contacted most of those programs ahead of time by email, and most of them stated that while they didn't have an official booth at Midyear, they would have representatives attending the meeting. I was actually able to set up time to meet with several programs this way, which was very helpful. I would suggest doing this if you can. I ended up completing a residency at a program that doesn't have a booth at Midyear. This program was not in CA or on the east coast, but I second the comment above that they just didn't want to pay for a booth and generally receive enough applicants that they don't feel it's necessary.

My PGY1 didn't attend the Midyear showcase. A booth is pretty expensive and if you're a small program and you know you're most likely to get only local people, why spend that money? It's not necessarily a reflection of the quality of the program. Most likely just financial/have enough people locally who apply to not bother with ASHP.

My program is in SoCal, and we are not at CSHP, but will be at Midyear. Thinking is that we had good out of state residents previously, and students in CA, especially from SoCal may attend Midyear due to less travel expenses. I noticed some local programs on the Midyear schedule (CHOC, Cedars, Arrowhead, Kaisers, Citrus, etc.). Looks like it will be fun.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I guess I should have stated that I do realize many small, community hospitals do not attend the Midyear Showcase.