Program-Specific Info / Q's Program Specific Essay Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kittenfiesta

OTD Student
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of the programs (Kansas University Med) I am applying to has a supplemental essay portion that is asking why I'm choosing that specific school and program. I'm having a hard time coming up with specific points. Especially since I'm applying to 10 programs all based on location, perquisites requirements, and OTD accreditation status. What is a good way to come up with points on why that school is interesting without sounding cliche? I was thinking of looking over their coursework, but it's common to other program curriculums.
 
I went to the website and looking into the focus areas of specific professors, talked about the ones that interested me most. I also used to educational philosophy listed on the website and talked about why I liked it.
 
One of the programs (Kansas University Med) I am applying to has a supplemental essay portion that is asking why I'm choosing that specific school and program. I'm having a hard time coming up with specific points. Especially since I'm applying to 10 programs all based on location, perquisites requirements, and OTD accreditation status. What is a good way to come up with points on why that school is interesting without sounding cliche? I was thinking of looking over their coursework, but it's common to other program curriculums.

I would go to their website and see if you can pick out some specific things you like about the program. I also just picked schools based off of location/prerequisites, but then when I looked more into the program I was able to find things that I really did like about the program. I would look at this page and come up with a few things based off of it: Why choose KU?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went to the website and looking into the focus areas of specific professors, talked about the ones that interested me most. I also used to educational philosophy listed on the website and talked about why I liked it.
This is great advice since several of the professors have experience in areas that I'm interested in. Thank you!
 
When talking about curriculum, if a program generally has traditional coursework is it okay to say the OTD courses are what you find unique? I was a health admin major in undergrad so I do find importance in understanding the driving forces in the industry. This is hard. This is the only essay where I have to do a 'why an OTD here vs a MOT somewhere else' prompt.